bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Xbox 360 to get USB storage

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-usb-storage/1

Microsoft will be bringing USB storage support to the Xbox 360, according to rumours.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:15   #2
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
There is always a bitter after-taste whenever Microsoft announces anything, this time is no different. Any connected storage device will have an arbitrary 16GB limit regardless of the actual storage capacity.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:15   #3
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
That might tip me over the edge and tempt me into buying a 360. An arcade is fantastic value, but the cost of storage is hellish.

[edit] That sucks... What a wasted opportunity! I'm sure there are loads of folks who would love to use a 320+GB external HD on their 360 and turn it into a proper media centre.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:25   #4
-Xp-
Hypermodder

-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.
What's to stop me from just adding a 2TB hard drive in an external enclosure to an xbox and saving money on the offical hard drives?
-Xp- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:27   #5
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xp-
What's to stop me from just adding a 2TB hard drive in an external enclosure to an xbox and saving money on the offical hard drives?
Because up to now, you CAN'T add an external hard drive. And with this fantastic "update" you can. But you can only use 16GB of it. Even if it is a 1TB drive
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:28   #6
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
[edit] That sucks... What a wasted opportunity! I'm sure there are loads of folks who would love to use a 320+GB external HD on their 360 and turn it into a proper media centre.
If it's just media you care about, you can absolutely do that now without the system update. The only relevance this 'news' has it that they will allow you to use it for system data, such as profile, demo's, dlc etc.

I'm almost positive this is related to the new 'Xbox slim' rumours, as it seems likely Microsoft will ditch the current HDD form factor (top of console, running from front to back) in favour of an external device. The current HDD attachment dictates the the size of both the depth and height of the console, two things I assume Microsoft will want to reduce for a 'slim' console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xp- View Post
It won't allow you to. Currently any externally connected drives can only be used for media purposes, there is no functionality to use them to store system data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway View Post
Because up to now, you CAN'T add an external hard drive. And with this fantastic "update" you can. But you can only use 16GB of it. Even if it is a 1TB drive
You can, but it will only pick up media on that drive.

Last edited by NuTech; 19th Mar 2010 at 11:37.
NuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:29   #7
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
the 16GB limit seems odd. Wait and see, i guess.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:38   #8
Artanix
puts the king in Lurking.

Artanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
its a bit odd in general, especially when games like forza want you to install 4gb+ content.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:49   #9
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Will this allow any USB stick? Or will it be a microsoft one at a >100% mark up?
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:53   #10
goldstar0011
I *am* a Dremel

goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.goldstar0011 is definitely a rep cheat.
It's a start!! Couple of 16GB drivers will be great!

Can we use a USB HUB for more ports?

Even though who uses the space, not even used half my 20GB
goldstar0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 11:54   #11
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech View Post
If it's just media you care about, you can absolutely do that now without the system update. The only relevance this 'news' has it that they will allow you to use it for system data, such as profile, demo's, dlc etc.
I should've said use it for loads of games as well as media, but you're right, there isn't anything stopping us now.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 12:34   #12
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What's to stop you creating several 16gb partitions on a 1TB drive?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 12:48   #13
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
I would assume that you will still need to have the disk in the drive to load any of the games from the HD? (Like you have to currently - or at least I do when I want to play TDU).

Whilst on the surface this does seem like a good move, I personally won't have any need for it currently. I am probably usig at most, 25GB of my 120GB elites drive.

My PS3 on the other hand needs a new HD pronto (my current 60gb is filled with top gear and Big bang theory episodes.... (oh and game demos / installs))
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 12:50   #14
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
I would assume that the console can only 'see' 16gb of the drive regardless of its size or partition setup.

How this restriction is enforced I don't know. No doubt a way will found to circumnavigate the size limit.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 13:20   #15
mastorofpuppetz
Banned

mastorofpuppetz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MS are crap, why limit it to 16 GB? with my Ps3 i can go out and buy any 500 GB drive, works fine. I dont like how MS seems to try and force people to be suckerded into buying retarded accessorires like $100 HD's and wireless adapters.
mastorofpuppetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 13:27   #16
NuTech
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz View Post
MS are crap, why limit it to 16 GB? with my Ps3 i can go out and buy any 500 GB drive, works fine. I dont like how MS seems to try and force people to be suckerded into buying retarded accessorires like $100 HD's and wireless adapters.
To make money. They're not hiding the fact, they've said so numerous times.

First party accessories are a major money maker in the games industry. By limiting to 16GB it gives people another option but still leaves an incentive to buy one of their official HDDs.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 13:59   #17
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
Nothing, but it will only allow 2 devices like this at once.

I think this great.

1: Everyone has a USB stick lying around so it's an easy way to transport your profile without having to shell out for a memory card

2: It provides a cheap way for arcade console buyers to have lots of storage space. You probably won't be ripping any games to them but 32Gb is tons of space for save games, demos, arcade games, etc.

Sure it's not as good as it could be, but they didn't have to do this in the first place.

This does seem like it could be going hand in hand with a slim 360. The two memory card ports take up quite a lot of space, by allowing this, they no longer need memory card slots, thus cutting down on space required on a front panel and cutting stuff off the motherboard. I very much doubt it is a complete replacement for the hard drive though, I imagine they want the slim to replace the current models, otherwise they're just adding yet another version. So if this is a complete replacement for the current version, they would need to keep the hard drive support because otherwise why would people want to replace a dead 250Gb console to one that can only take 32?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.

Last edited by Veles; 19th Mar 2010 at 14:09.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 14:04   #18
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They probably realised that they are not shifting many if any full 360 games from xbox live. Because one game can be over 4gb and with our tiny drives we are not going to be buying many. I will stick to arcade games from live. I did buy an original xbox game which is almost 4gb and I only have 15GB left on my 60GB drive. Im leaving my space for game addons and small arcade games.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 15:06   #19
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Ive got a 250Gb Elite, the main reason was because of the lack of space MS 'gives' to us, The PS3 manages perfectly well with the HD being changed and i think its a shame MS has missed the boat with this, it could have been the answer to a problem that niggles so many xbox owners
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2010, 15:42   #20
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk2004 View Post
They probably realised that they are not shifting many if any full 360 games from xbox live. Because one game can be over 4gb and with our tiny drives we are not going to be buying many.
I would imagine the reason why they wouldn't be selling many xbox 360 games on live is due to the price rather than anything else.