bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:16   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My PC is a teenager – it won’t wake up in the morning

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/03...-wake-up-in-t/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:22   #2
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Get a laptop. D
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:24   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I'm a teen and I'm up at 7 every day, be it work day or not! Don't blame the teens!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:26   #4
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've built 4 PCs over the years and I've never been able to get any of them to hibernate properly, something always fails on wake and causes instability until I reboot.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:29   #5
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Doesn't hibernate preserve programs and stuff? You could use that instead of the awkward sleep.
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:33   #6
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Just save your work and switch it off. Unless the PC is from the 90's it shouldn't take long to boot up anyway.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:39   #7
Ryu_ookami
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
do What i do just leave it on mines normally dling over night anyway
Ryu_ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 10:43   #8
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban
Just save your work and switch it off. Unless the PC is from the 90's it shouldn't take long to boot up anyway.
This ^^

Turn PC on
Go make coffee
Return to freshly booted PC with less extraneous stuff in the memory and page file.
Drink coffee while surfing for interesting stuff to report to us while we battle with boredom at work

Everyones a winner
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 11:31   #9
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i once lost an entire installation of RC1 due to dodgy sleep/wake. seems it never works properly and is prone to break things, take my advice and dont bother
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 11:43   #10
Spiny
Multimodder

Spiny has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
...flash your BIOS?
Spiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 11:48   #11
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've built hundreds of PCs in my time (at one point I worked for a small white-box company) and I can categorically state:

- Sleep and standby barely work, and work best on laptops, but even after a couple of days they need a reboot
- Hibernate will see you clear for anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks but at that point it'll randomly crash and you need a reboot

I have honestly found that just shutting down every night and booting while sorting your morning drink is the best way forwards.
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 11:53   #12
Isitari
Multimodder

Isitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIsitari is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
5V rails always seem to suck the most. Even on the 'good' power supplies they seem to be relatively worse off than the 3.3V and the 12V.
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 12:34   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk View Post
I've built 4 PCs over the years and I've never been able to get any of them to hibernate properly, something always fails on wake and causes instability until I reboot.
+1
Never seen a desktop system do this well, it's just not worth the hassle.
My (work) notebook does fine, but get's restarted once a week anyway.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 13:15   #14
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitari
5V rails always seem to suck the most. Even on the 'good' power supplies they seem to be relatively worse off than the 3.3V and the 12V.
I noticed that in the latest PSU roundup in CPC, why is that? Most power supplies had a lot worse 5v and 5vSB rails than any other rail. Even the premium grade Antec Truepower New 650w got 4.95v (brilliant) on the 5v rail but 4.75v on the 5vSB rail which is the minimum of ATX spec o_O
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 14:21   #15
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Just to be different, the past few PCs i've had sleep/hibernate perfectly. Only issue i had a while back that was my raid card didn't spin up the drives after sleep/hibernate, so i moved it to my server

It's really quite nice when it does work.
One-click button on a win7 gadget to sleep, mash the keyboard to wake and the PC is usable 2 seconds later

Though you do need to reboot sometimes as others mentioned, after a few weeks windows can get a bit wonky and also some updates demand it.

Last edited by cyrilthefish; 22nd Mar 2010 at 14:31.
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 15:04   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
now imagine your a prebuilt buyer and know nothing- roid rage

zoon and cyril summed it up.. most of the comps out there just don't do it right- even had a issue on the eee netbook bought last year- came configured to hibernate every 10 minutes.. but took the nic with it until you disabled it in the manager

feel sorry for people who don't know what's going on.. I could see a bunch of eee's getting smashed rolling down the stairs after talking with a fake geek with glasses from best buys

it would go something like this..

"this f'ing computer you sold me doesn't work it won't connect to the net wifi!"

"sir, calm down.. now what is it doing exactly?"

"it won't work.. sometimes it works sometimes it don't!"

"come in and we'll take a look at it.. $60 a hour + and upgrades you might need"

*click laptop takes a trip down the steps and the guy runs out and buys a apple
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 15:19   #17
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the opposite problem, my PC is an insomniac and wakes up if you so much as look at the mouse, so I tend to shutdown.
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 15:51   #18
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpower-UK
I have the opposite problem, my PC is an insomniac and wakes up if you so much as look at the mouse, so I tend to shutdown.
+1
I set my keys on the desk my computer jumps up.

I had to set windows 7 to performance mode because it would freeze just randomly sometimes within 5 minutes sometimes it would take 5 hours.

I have spent several hours on the phone, and several emails with Microsoft, to try and correct the problem, I have even flashed the bios and updated all the drivers and did a clean install of windows like 3 times, but it is all to no avail. However, when I set windows 7 to performance mode, I have absolutely no issues with my computer freezing, so go figure. I can live without sleep or hibernate mode.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 16:42   #19
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
My (self built) PC does seem to sleep properly, but it does have a tendency to turn it's self on by it's self in the morning.
Now it's in a new case (Zalman MS1000) and water cooled I can sleep through it being on though, although as it wakes up it spins up the CD wich is pretty noisy.

I've never had a desktop that both hibernated and slept properly. Most laptops work fine though.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 16:54   #20
TSR2
Multimodder

TSR2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have no issues with sleep, I don't like the inordinate amount of time it takes to resume from hibernate though. I suppose it just reads the contents of hiberfile.sys back into memory? Because even though I'm only usually using 1-2GB of RAM, it takes forever to resume, as though it is reading 2GB of nuls.
Of course, some of this may be down to my awful HDD.
TSR2 is offline   Reply With Quote