bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Mar 2010, 08:33   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Peter Molyneux: Fable 3 and Emotional Games

Gaming legend Peter Molyneux speaks about his upcoming title, Fable 3, including Project Natal integration, episodic content and a world inspired by Charles Dickens. He also shares his thoughts on why games need to be more emotional to evolve and involve players.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-...tional-games/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 08:40   #2
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is the guy calling FB games cutting edge?
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 09:42   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I prefer Will Wright's view, that everyone is focusing on Facebook at the moment because they think it's growth will be a constant increase, when in actual fact it's going to be an S-curve like we've seen with many other similar fads. There are lessons to be learned about game development from Facebook, but they are along the lines of lowering input requirements and building reward structures that encourage players to feed more time into the game - they are not just 'Let's make the next Farmville and use microtransactions'.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 09:44   #4
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
I actually quite like Peter Molyneux and this was an interesting read. Yes he does like to sometimes over-promise and under-deliver (a lot of that is because he talks about game development much more than other devs are comfortable with) and some of his comments make die-hard gaming sycophants reel with disgust ("OMG Facebook isn't gaming!!!11").

But in the gaming industry where so many critics and pundits are frequently wrong about the direction future innovation will take (how many prominent outlets laughed at both the Nintendo Wii and DS?), I think this requires us to sometimes listen to the more outspoken people. After all, Microsoft did make him a Creative Director for a reason...

About Natal, my biggest fear is that Microsoft won't capitalise on it's true potential and instead cycle through novelty game concepts. I truly believe that Natal's 'killer app' will be something social and abstracted from traditional gaming concepts. However I look at all the recent social innovations - Facebook, Twitter, accessible smartphones - and note that Microsoft is behind none of it. Hopefully a third party will really step up to the plate and deliver something totally different to what we've seen so far.

Last edited by NuTech; 23rd Mar 2010 at 10:07.
NuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 11:57   #5
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I quite like this article/whatever it is. Molyneux seems to be on the ball with this one and I like the ideas and future he's talking about. Whether any of that will actually come to be is something else entirely, but I like where it's all heading.

BTW, all the picture links give a 404.
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 13:21   #6
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved the first game, never played the second, shame. I will be definitely be trying this one out.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 14:24   #7
serial_
Multimodder

serial_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would like to ask for less 404 action when I click on the pictures in the article.

I wanted high res, what I got was akin to a 'laugh-you-lose' thread on /b/

404 ftl
serial_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 16:17   #8
mastorofpuppetz
Banned

mastorofpuppetz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Don't care what anyone says, this guy is a pompous, arrogant ass.
mastorofpuppetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 17:15   #9
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yea.. i'm quite surprised.. usually Molyneux says the dumbest sh** but this .... well, it actually sounds rational and a Good Idea!
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 18:26   #10
kornedbeefy
Multimodder

kornedbeefy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello Peter, fan of "Bullfrog" games here. Thanks for dropping a huge turd on PC gamers.
kornedbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 21:07   #11
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
shut up and make dk3 already!
Old 24th Mar 2010, 18:20   #12
interzen
Real men use chainsaws.

interzen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The whole 'touch mechanic' thing has a whiff of PM hyperbole about it, but for once, yes, he actually comes across as being fairly controlled and rational.

Where Molyneux is concerned I generally work on the basis of "I'll believe it when I play it", but Fable 3 looks pretty damned good - I loved the first two games, and still dip into Fable II when I want a slightly more laid-back RPG fix (compared with the likes of Oblivion or Dragon Age)

And yeah, another Dungeon Keeper game would be nice :-)
interzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2010, 20:45   #13
eternum
*blam* shotgun fanhole

eternum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Less pompous crap spewing from the man's mouth than usual - must be an off day for him?

I gotta say though, when he talked about making promises to help people in order to gain followers and then deciding which of those promises to follow through with later, it just made me chuckle...