bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Victorinox launches hacker challenge

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...er-challenge/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:07   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sod the contest, I know what my next pendrive will be!
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:15   #3
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too bad you can't crack the biometric instead - channelling MythBusters, all you need is tape.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:37   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Wish I was any where near good enough to bother applying!
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:47   #5
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
If I lived close enough, I'd sign up just for a laugh.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 11:28   #6
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Too bad you can't crack the biometric instead - channelling MythBusters, all you need is tape.
Right you are! I'm heading over to Discovery on demand to see if that one is available. If my memory is correct, they went really advanced to crack the Microsoft fingerprint reader and really had to go over the top to do it using jelly mold fingertips with heating and a secret portion not shown on telly. However, the uncrackable $600 door lock was done with a photocopy of the finger print!

Since we can't use the original fingerprint, maybe all that is pointless?
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 11:33   #7
sicone
Multimodder

sicone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmmm, the store is a 5min walk from my work so I may have to pop in during my lunch break and watch
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 11:49   #8
JrRRr
Minecraft addict

JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JrRRr is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Original PR-stunt. Makes me wanna buy one..
JrRRr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 12:15   #9
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Sounds like the real weak point in the system, obtaining a copy of the original finger-print, has been excluded from the scope of the task. Still be interested to see if anyone can do it.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 12:42   #10
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I smell a set-up tbh. 24 people that will be "selected"
How much you willing to bet that anyone that has the actual status of hacker wont be "selected" for this challenge
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 15:02   #11
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAwaitsU
I smell a set-up tbh. 24 people that will be "selected"
How much you willing to bet that anyone that has the actual status of hacker wont be "selected" for this challenge
What would be the point in that? The idea of competitions like this and white hat hacking in general is to show up flaws in the system, and the best people at this are hardcore hackers.

Many hackers get offered jobs after successful high profile hacks.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 16:23   #12
Mighty Yoshimi
Motormouth

Mighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
This is great. Carry your encrypted data around with you in the form of a knife. Then if you get stopped and searched by the police then you get in trouble. At least that's how they're trying to make it!

In the UK anyway!
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 16:27   #13
Volund
Am I supposed to care?

Volund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run Crysis
don't like the knife... but loving the USB key

If you believe in GLaDOS and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
Volund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 18:52   #14
Fordy
Multimodder

Fordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the DremelFordy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Yoshimi
This is great. Carry your encrypted data around with you in the form of a knife. Then if you get stopped and searched by the police then you get in trouble. At least that's how they're trying to make it!

In the UK anyway!
Police won't confiscate a Victorinox, or other multitool.

It has obvious purpose. In the UK, you can carry any <3.5" blade excluding locking or flick blades.

Any length or type may be carried if concealed with good verifiable reason. (Ie. I'm a member of a hunting club, heres the number. Or I'm a Scout Leader, hence the wonky uniform)

But anyway, on topic, surely the best way to crack it is to desolder the memory chip, and fit it to a pre-made sans hardware encryption reader?

Doesn't say anything about that being disallowed. Feel free to try to implement that master plan anyone - I won't be able to make it there. But if you win, your welcome to my PayPal

(Unless, of course i consider your hacking skill to be upto the task of fauxing PP...)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 19:19   #15
Saivert
Supermodder

Saivert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
since you swipe the finger, there is not much of a print remaining on the plate is it?
something else with those "press finger against surface" type of devices.
And I know a print can remain even after cleaning the surface. Forensics sure have lifted prints from cleaned surfaces before. Of course depends on how good of a cleaner you are.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 21:28   #16
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I see no mention of encryption anywhere, just lock and delete.
Just piggyback off the NAND flash and off you go.
Of course, if it's encrypted, it's slightly more difficult...
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 21:44   #17
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Surely it's pretty trivial to fake an email response saying everything's fine?
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 23:34   #18
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can decrypt windows passwords with a calculator, will that qualify me to take part?
Old 24th Mar 2010, 00:27   #19
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
What would be the point in that? The idea of competitions like this and white hat hacking in general is to show up flaws in the system, and the best people at this are hardcore hackers.

Many hackers get offered jobs after successful high profile hacks.
The point would be its a pr stunt and no company wants to give away 100k tbh. How can you think otherwise, considering they are only allowing 24 people that they "select"