bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:46   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
The Best UK Games Ever

Next in our exploration of the UK games industry we take a look at some of the best games to every come from the British Isles, from modern classics such as Tomb Raider right back to some retro gems. What are the games that the UK should be proud of?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...k-games-ever/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:49   #2
vampalan
Multimodder

vampalan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow. nice one! Lots of great games in there.
vampalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:01   #3
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
would mind a elite remake on PC or XBLA come to think about it.
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:03   #4
[WP@]WOLVERINE
Supermodder

[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh i remeber Elite i played that game on my Amiga 500 and i loved it and the second one Frontier even more so i do remeber that very well but i am somewhat of an ol fart
Intel i7 980X EE | 6gb HyperX 2ghz DDR3 | Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm ed | Asus 7950 DCII | Corsair HX1000 | SB X-Fi Fatality | 5.1tb storage+2xX25M 80gb SSD | Lian Li pc201 | 3xBenQ G2420HDB@Eyefinity | Ms Natural 4000 | Corsair M60 | Logitech Z-5450.
[WP@]WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:05   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [WP@
WOLVERINE]Oh i remeber Elite i played that game on my Amiga 500 and i loved it and the second one Frontier even more so i do remeber that very well but i am somewhat of an ol fart
Apparently there's an iPhone version in the works. I am sceptical.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:11   #6
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
I dread to think how many days I spent playing Golden Eye and AVP. I seem to remember spending an entire weekend trying to complete one of the time challenges in Golden Eye. AVP just has to be played in the dark. I bought it on Steam again for 3 the other weekend having not played it for about 9 years. Still awesome, such a shame about the recent release.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:22   #7
Gonzalo-Gonads
Minimodder

Gonzalo-Gonads has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great article! Maybe you add links too where the games can be bought like Gog or steam
Gonzalo-Gonads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:30   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Dungeon Keeper is still one of my all time favourite games. It's a shame to think current younger generations won't get to grow up with such British wit in their flavours of the month.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:37   #9
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo-Gonads
Great article! Maybe you add links too where the games can be bought like Gog or steam
Your wish is my command. Buy links for each game added, or link to an online playable version.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:39   #10
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does anyone know if a version of Elite is available online? I used to play it til way past midnight on my Commodore 64 as a kid.

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:41   #11
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Booyah!

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:45   #12
general22
Multimodder

general22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great article, didn't know so many were UK based.
general22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 12:53   #13
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There is an open source clone of Elite, its pretty much just as hard just looks (a little) better
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite_%28computer_game%29
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:01   #14
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Thanks for all the links Joe. I'm amazed at how much people are charging for original DK CDs. I'm starting to think my collection of 1990s PC games may be starting to be worth something (I was reading the other day about how first edition American McGee's Alice DVDs are now often worth more than their original cost)
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:04   #15
Domestic_ginger
Supermodder

Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Domestic_ginger is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Forgot all about team17! Alien Breed was brilliant too.

Nothing from the Gollop Brothers; was hoping UFO enemy unknown would have snuck in there. Was hoping syndicate would have made an appearence.
Domestic_ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:05   #16
DjinnJah
What's a Dremel?

DjinnJah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This site also has links to some very similar games

http://www.eliteclub.org.uk/alt/about.htm

not sure if it's come out as a link or not?
DjinnJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:08   #17
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic_ginger
Was hoping syndicate would have made an appearence.
Dungeon Keeper > Syndicate

/controversy

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:12   #18
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Elite is seminal: as we played it we dreamt of the day that something like Eve Online would be possible.

Ah, the memories... Good times, good times.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:16   #19
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Even though I edited this article earlier today (oops), we seem to have forgotten about the Bitmap Brothers and some of their great 80s and 90s games such as Speedball 2 and Gods.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:18   #20
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Even though I edited this article earlier today (oops), we seem to have forgotten about the Bitmap Brothers and some of their great 80s and 90s games such as Speedball 2 and Gods.
Xenon 2: Megablaster was one my early favourite games, even though I could never get past the first level.

www.joemartinwords.com