bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Apr 2010, 09:51   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Intel releases 48-core processor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...re-processor/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 09:58   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How long until some madman puts one in a regular PC?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:08   #3
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
of course, those who need 48 physical processing cores in a workstation right now can go off an build an AMD magny-cours system. Ok so that's going to be a multi-CPU machine, but that's the price you pay for massive scalability, damnit!
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:12   #4
EnglishLion
working for the good of mankind...

EnglishLion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it's all very interesting but as to whether or not we'll see these in home PCs I'm not really sure. I don't see the need unless home computing takes a major step in some direction or other.

48 core won't be much use to the average internet surfer. Maybe the technology will help with the production of very low energy single and dual core models that will pop up in all sorts of embedded applications?

Latest: Review: Microsoft Arc Wireless Mini Keyboard
Also: Review: ASUS M4A785D-M Pro uATX motherboard
Most Popular: Review: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
EnglishLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:13   #5
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will it run crysis on high settings?
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:14   #6
livenoise
Virgin Modstar

livenoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But can it run Crysis?
livenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:20   #7
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Can you play Kirby Fun Pack 8 in 1 on it?!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:23   #8
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Depends how long it takes for Intel to ship one to me
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:28   #9
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quick question - What are all of the leads (black and red) going into the motherboard on each side of the cpu socket?
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:34   #10
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
they deliver the magic smoke to the CPU for it to work. Because it's a prototype they haven't finalised the way the smoke is held permanently inside the CPU package, so it's always letting magic smoke out, therefore requiring a constant fresh supply in order to continue operating.
Old 8th Apr 2010, 10:47   #11
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
How about a folding rig?
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:20   #12
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How about properly multithreaded general applications?
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:36   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
they deliver the magic smoke to the CPU for it to work. Because it's a prototype they haven't finalised the way the smoke is held permanently inside the CPU package, so it's always letting magic smoke out, therefore requiring a constant fresh supply in order to continue operating.
+1
Have you never noticed how in EVERY SciFi setting, everything always smokes?
Star Trek-Star Wars-Stargate...as soon as someone hits a console with a kids toy gun, the things smokes and explodes.
(I'd always thought it was steam, but nobody's ever burnt, just blastwounds...so it must be smoke...Smoke's the future!)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:37   #14
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The question is; will it run paint?
Old 8th Apr 2010, 11:43   #15
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Cell almost had it good. A few fast cores, then a ton of slower cores.

Think about it, that's almost identical to the CPU/GPU setup - quad core + 1600 shaders is 4 powerful cores and 1600 smaller, slower cores.

If the 48 cores are all x86/64-bit compatible though with reasonable logic, that's the middle ground. Expect to see workstations with a quad/hex/octo core and then 4/8 of these chips inside.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 12:02   #16
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The question is will if run Dos? ha ha.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 12:42   #17
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
can i become an academy so i can get one?
Old 8th Apr 2010, 12:48   #18
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can be in your academy
Old 8th Apr 2010, 13:47   #19
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Does it support hyperthreading?

read recently they they've managed to multi thread word.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2010, 14:18   #20
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Sound like it will only be strong in massively threaded applications or large numbers of applications, and incredibly weak for applications that are lightly threaded, such as games. Plus, the cores are probably quite simple given the die and socket constraints, so the cores are probably weaker than even Atom cores despite the similar clocks. The only advantage is there are lots of them. And I don't see any mention of the core being x86-based, so they may not support those instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi
Quad core + 1600 shaders is 4 powerful cores and 1600 smaller, slower cores.
That sounds like AMD's Fusion/Llano.