bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Apr 2010, 09:05   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Corsair Nova 128GB SSD Review

Corsair's latest Nova Series SSDs are based on the Indilinx Barefoot Eco drive controller and Intel 32nm NAND flash. We've seen that combination perform strongly for a great price, so we wanted to find if Corsair's drive could hit the SSD sweet spot. Read on to find out.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...b-ssd-review/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 09:09   #2
Invectus
Minimodder

Invectus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
meow
Invectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 09:11   #3
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Page 8, on the first graph the nova is listed as "Clean" twice.

EDIT: Also page 9 the nova is listed in one of the graphs as (dirtyn)
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE

Last edited by Aracos; 12th Apr 2010 at 09:16.
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 09:25   #4
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
have to be honest here the first thing i looked at was the price then i skipped the review as there is no way i'm spending that much on an ssd

until they get to ~1 - 1.20 a GB i will not be buying
Old 12th Apr 2010, 09:49   #5
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
Another decent SSD, but when are we going to see cheaper drives?
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 10:50   #6
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd like to see what the take up rate is of these SSD's compared to mechanical drives, surely the manufacturers would see more units sold if they lowered their bloody prices.

Still waiting for the GB's / £'s ratio to tighten
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 10:57   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
Another decent SSD, but when are we going to see cheaper drives?
1-2 years yet. It requires both NAND density increase and capacity increase, and manufactures want the price to remain high now because demand is high.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:22   #8
earlydoors
Hypermodder

earlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysisearlydoors can run Crysis
Looks like the industry still wants us to pay 250 and up for a SSDs
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:38   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
SSDs are for people who have everything else as high as they can get and adding an ssd gives them the only performance upgrade they can get

still using my x25 intel ssd.

Price will never drop to 120 for 120gb.

Still as the saying goes if ya gotta ask or care for the price it is not for you, nice review of a decent drive
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:41   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
new 20/22nm production process (sorry, cant remember which it is) this year should see prices drop 30% hopefully. We're still a way away from 1/GB though, but it will happen. Just think, in 10 years you can LOL about the first SSDs being so small, slow and expensive!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:56   #11
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about new Intel controller? I've heard they're even planning to use MLC for enterprise with that controller!
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 12:26   #12
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
I bet you everything i own that you will be proven wrong at some point in the future. :P
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 13:30   #13
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob
Quote:
I bet you everything i own that you will be proven wrong at some point in the future. :P
Prices will never drop to $10 per core for i7 930.
XD.

I can haz everything you own now?
Old 12th Apr 2010, 16:49   #14
NickCPC
Multimodder

NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
Quote:
Quote:
XD.

Ebay in 5 years time? Pass on the kit
NickCPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 16:55   #15
Dave_M
Modder

Dave_M has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
new 20/22nm production process (sorry, cant remember which it is) this year should see prices drop 30% hopefully. We're still a way away from 1/GB though, but it will happen.
It's 25nm and it's coming in Q4. New Intel drives are probably along same time or shortly after.
Dave_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2010, 18:34   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
new 20/22nm production process (sorry, cant remember which it is) this year should see prices drop 30% hopefully. We're still a way away from 1/GB though, but it will happen. Just think, in 10 years you can LOL about the first SSDs being so small, slow and expensive!
Not in all markets. There are different levels of flash quality - for the low end/slower/cheaper stuff we'll probably see "cheaper" SSDs but it depends on the price of chipsets too, which is slowly rising also. In the high end I expect prices will likely remain most of what they are still. Most of it depends on DRAM/NAND capacity which won't increase for at least 12-18 months I've been told.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2010, 00:24   #17
Doomah
What's a Dremel?

Doomah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What I'm wondering: Intel controller is around for a long time now. Doesn't any company look at the performance and the chip and think, "hey, we can do that both better and cheaper"?
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2010, 13:45   #18
MaverickWill
Dirty CPC Mackem

MaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run Crysis
Sigh... these SSD review comments are always the same. Why can't we ever have something different?

Example:
Should I secure my (potential future) SSD to my case using some sort of sticky tape, Velcro, or superglue?
Old 13th Apr 2010, 21:52   #19
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
a serious question - does this drive use destructive firmware updates like the Falcon, or can you flash without wiping the drive?
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2010, 01:48   #20
fernblatt
What's a Dremel?

fernblatt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
Quote:
Quote:
XD.

Ebay in 5 years time? Pass on the kit
Yea, the price will come down. Eventually. My first HDD was 20 megabytes and cost over 500 USD. My latest HDD was 2 Tb and was only a smidge over $100USD.
I seem to remember doing a 64k RAM mod on an early Sinclair or Tandy machine, with the RAM costing well over $100USD (yes, that was 64K, not Meg or Gigabytes)

Ahah! I found an original receipt for a 1 Meg SD card I bought years ago. $59USD.

So, yea, the price will come down. Just in today's V3 news, it seems Samsung has come up with a newer process to pack even more ram per chip, and have broken the 20 nm barrier on flash cells. Which SSD's use. Which is another indicator the price may eventually come down. Unless "they" don't want it to.

Unsure who "they" are, but people talk about "them" quite often.
fernblatt is offline   Reply With Quote