bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:42   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Far Cry 2 is Underappreciated

Far Cry 2 provoked strong reactions when it was released in 2008, with gamers rapidly dividing into Love It and Hate It camps. Now, Craig Lager takes a look back at what he considers an under-appreciated sequel and explains why he loves it when a plan comes together.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...-appreciated/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:50   #2
D-Cyph3r
Gay for Yunosuke

D-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No. FarCry 2 was just a really bad game and always will be.

EDIT: It kinda peeves me off that alot of people say things like "FarCry 2 wasn't that bad" and "it had some really great ideas, just messed up on a couple of key points like driving and re-spawning enemies" yet almost everyone says Crysis was poor tech demo of a game. It genuinely baffles me how anyone could even remotely consider FC2 a superior game to Crysis, which had more ideas, more gameplay options, far better AI, more outright action and looked better.

1 of the cleanest Micro-ATX builds you'll see incoming...
D-Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:56   #3
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It was a really (four letter word) game, you shouldn't be allowed to write an article like this, it might influence someone to spend some money on this crap, you should reimburse everyone of those poor saps!
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:57   #4
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm sorry, Far Cry 2 was underappreciated?! It was massively hyped and reviewers loved it. Anyone I know that actually played it, however - myself included - actually found it to be awful. I know you point this out at the start of the piece but that doesn't change the fact that I know a lot of people who were out and out p'd off that they spent their money on this game on the back of such rave reviews. Just because it has a few merits, it doesn't make up for the fact it's a dull, monotonous, senseless game.

Oh, and you're absolutely right, D-Cyph3r. Crysis is the game that has truly been underappreciated. I actually think it's a very fine FPS regardless of how amazing it still looks.

Last edited by Meanmotion; 19th Apr 2010 at 11:03.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:57   #5
PegasusM
Stand back, I'm doing science

PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.PegasusM is definitely a rep cheat.
It had its problems but it did a lot of things right which is what this article points out. This has tempted me to try it again. I'm still put off by the way you can repair any car no matter what happened to it by using one tool in the same way. And by the endless checkpoints.
Gaming PC: i5 2500k @4.4GHz, Antec KÜHLER H2O 650, 8GB 1866Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, GTX 780, MSI P67A-GD53(B3), Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio, 128GB Crucial C300, 2TB Samsung F3, Antec 902, Seasonic x-850,
ESXi Server: Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz, Noctua NH-L9a, Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 12GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP, Intel Dual NIC,2x3TB HDDs, Lian Li PC-C33, Corsair CXM 600 NAS(Backup): Synology DS211 2x3TB HDDs
PegasusM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:58   #6
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't want to sound rude, but this strikes me as a blog post, not a feature. Could we not have, say, a Splinter Cell: Conviction review in place of this?
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:00   #7
mraquinn
What's a Dremel?

mraquinn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It did have some good, and great points. Sadly though, they only lasted for about an hour. Once you get into the respawning, the pointless battles on the road, the endless driving back and to and the fact that every shoot out ends up being the same because actually, you can go through all the planning you like, but you'll win with any gun you like if you take long enough.

Terrible article based on apparently the version of Far Cry 2 that all reviewers got to play but didn't reach the shops.
mraquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:00   #8
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I enjoyed the vast open gameworld, but when it came down to the malaria (very annoying), and the missions were boring after the initial 10....
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:03   #9
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo
I don't want to sound rude, but this strikes me as a blog post, not a feature. Could we not have, say, a Splinter Cell: Conviction review in place of this?
Well, that's up to Ubisoft at the moment.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:03   #10
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
No. FarCry 2 was just a really bad game and always will be.
That's the truth.

I make a point of completing almost every game that I play. Far Cry 2 was one of those few games that I didn't bother finishing. The random encounters and the cars that are mysteriously faster than yours just completely kill any fun.

The quicksave method was annoying too! Rather than just having one file that was overwritten, the game saved a new file each time. After each gaming session I had to go to the save game folder to manually remove them.

At the end of the day, the game absolutely failed to live up to the hype. I had a bad feeling about it but bought it anyway - what a waste of £30. This game was supposed to rival Crysis - EPIC FAIL.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:18   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I still like it. Or bits of it. Missions were really annoying, respawning checkpoints a pain. Like Craig says though, the idea of planning a big attack and then pulling it off was brilliant. I love simply roaming around, sneaking through areas, sniping enemies.

And, while the e-paper may have been silly, having a map in your lap while you drive was brilliant.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:21   #12
oMonarca
Elitist Brick

oMonarca has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I totally agree with the article. Most people commenting only seem to have read the first page or something.

The great thing about FC2 is the bonds you create with the buddies, the world and your target, Jackal. Crysis was a crock of turd once the aliens showed up, devolving into a cave shooter.

FC2 is all about you. In no other game have I felt like being a really hardened African explorer, using resources sparingly to make sure I had enough bullets to take my target down. I've had on-foot chases through a shanty town that surpassed MW2's favelas, or a dashing escape as I jumped into a river from a 100 meter high rope bridge, escaping a bunch of angry soldiers after I detonated a mine inside the house of their leader.

Each mission spawns a story, different every time if you have the guts to risk different approaches. Knowing that almost nothing of this is scripted is just mind blowing.

Honestly, the only fault I find in the game is the lack of non adult male NPC's. There are no kids nor women. I understand that the target audience isn't mature enough for an Africa like the real one where women and children die everyday due to armed violence, but I would sincerely appreciate the honest brutality and reality in that.
oMonarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:36   #13
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
I still like it. Or bits of it. Missions were really annoying, respawning checkpoints a pain. Like Craig says though, the idea of planning a big attack and then pulling it off was brilliant. I love simply roaming around, sneaking through areas, sniping enemies.

And, while the e-paper may have been silly, having a map in your lap while you drive was brilliant.
You're right - a lot of the planning for missions was rather excellent, but the checkpoints and hunting around for diamonds to be able to buy the good weapons before the end of the story was a near-dealbreaker for me.

With a few tweaks FC2 could be a truly epic game imo, it's crying out for a mod pack.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:36   #14
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
I got it free with my gfx card. For a free game, it was brilliant. But i probably wouldn't of spent £30 on it.
I liked the fixed checkpoints that always had a constant supply of cannon fodder for the times i couldn't be bothered with the plot.
Also the game looked good. Really good. Especially on fire.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:39   #15
Fractal
I Think Therefore I Mod

Fractal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FarCry2 Gameplay:
1: Get Target.
2: Drive to target.
3: Shoot everyone.
4: Drive back to safehouse.
5: Repeat steps 1 through 5.

I'm sorry but I have never played a more dull and repetitive RTS.
Fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:40   #16
Fractal
I Think Therefore I Mod

Fractal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL! I meant FPS, what must you think of me?
Fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:44   #17
MartyEF
What's a Dremel?

MartyEF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sorry, I think you should replace under with over. Even with all the bad press, FC2 was still over-appreciated. The only thing it got right were its graphics. As far as the rest is concerned, I completely agree with Fractal.
MartyEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:52   #18
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I liked it... for most of the reasons listed in the article. But then I do have a slightly strange play style bordering on perfectionism. Going to great lengths to get as many diamonds as possible, conserving ammo and health, re loading loads of time when I died...
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:00   #19
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think, like STALKER, it's a game that needs massive modding to really fulfil it's potential. Unlike STALKER though few people found it initially interesting enough to want to put the work in and there was no effort by Ubisoft to support those that did.

The whole business with the respawning checkpoints bothered me most I think, it felt like the devs didn't trust my attention span and thought that if I wasn't getting shot at nearly all the time I'd wander off. What they failed to appreciate is that action without meaning or consequence rapidly gets boring.

Have to wonder if there has ever been a case of franchise necromancy (where a company picks up a 'dead' intellectual property and makes a sequel to it without any of the original devs) that has ever been any good.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:08   #20
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
the only game I ever sold the same day I got it.
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote