bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:49   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Activision: IW offers a great chance for new talent

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ance-for-new/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:02   #2
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not so sure about this, all the creative people I know are horrified at the idea of only producing rehashes. Is there really something significantly new to be done with the CoD franchise?
I would personally prefer to allow IW to work on new IP. Maybe they won't lose all their key staff (too late?) if they were given a little creative freedom.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:07   #3
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm looking to get into the scene atm but Activisions "business practices" mean I am just wasted talent and expendable.

any with an ounce of sense will steer clear
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:16   #4
Lockon Stratos
I Will Snipe You!

Lockon Stratos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After the whole MW2 'console porting'& loss of dedicated servers fiasco etc etc - as much as I loved CoD1/UO/CoD2 & MW1 (been there right from day 1) I have to say that IW no longer has my interests as a gamer.

no doubt they will just get console programmers to fill in the empty positions.
Lockon Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 12:22   #5
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Actually - it would be a good foothold in the industry.
Whether it's a move to stay at IW is another question, but given the situation they're in right now, I am sure a lot of creatives looking to break into the scene are gonna give it a shot, even if it's only to stick around for 3 years, then move to a better studio.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:19   #6
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
After the whole MW2 'console porting'& loss of dedicated servers fiasco etc etc - as much as I loved CoD1/UO/CoD2 & MW1 (been there right from day 1) I have to say that IW no longer has my interests as a gamer.

no doubt they will just get console programmers to fill in the empty positions.
I'm pretty sure this was Activisions doing.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:20   #7
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A great chance...to eat your soul.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:34   #8
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
Whether it's a move to stay at IW is another question, but given the situation they're in right now, I am sure a lot of creatives looking to break into the scene are gonna give it a shot, even if it's only to stick around for 3 years, then move to a better studio.
+1

I can imagine people wanting to get into the industry would consider it, even if, as you say it's only for the short term. Some will consider it valuable experience.
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:41   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
+1 again. Unfortunately.

Despite the flak Activision are getting/dealing, anyone with Activision on their resume is going to get a look in and that's worth a lot. Just a shame it's a bit like selling your soul to the devil!
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:48   #10
Lockon Stratos
I Will Snipe You!

Lockon Stratos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
they probably were in on it at the start. or they probably just left IW to do what they want without looking over their shoulders every 5mins because IW is the boss when it comes to CoD games. who knows.

.:Edit:.

DreamTheater F T W
Lockon Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 17:23   #11
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
WANTED: Talented individuals needed to work 70+ hours a week for an appallingly low salary. Will be sacked after game release to avoid any chance of reward for your work.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 17:42   #12
Bonzo45
Ex CPC

Bonzo45 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, to be fair they make good games, that the majority of people love. Would be great for the CV, don't know any recent releases that weren't triple A titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
WANTED: Talented individuals needed to work 70+ hours a week for an appallingly low salary. Will be sacked after game release to avoid any chance of reward for your work.
lol, but on a serious note is that figure of 70+ hours and low salary accurate?

Quote:
While around 10 percent of the Modern Warfarre team
Typo...
|| Q6600 @ 2.7GHz || HD4850 || 4GB (2x2GB) DDRII 800MHz || Crucial C300 64GB || Samsung F1 1TB & Samsung 500GB || Samsung Lightscribe drive || 500W Seagate PSU || GA-P31-DS3l mobo || Arctic cooling F7Pro || Samsung T220 22" || 7 Home Premium 64bit
Bonzo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 20:19   #13
_Metal_Guitar_
Multimodder

_Metal_Guitar_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
they probably were in on it at the start. or they probably just left IW to do what they want without looking over their shoulders every 5mins because IW is the boss when it comes to CoD games. who knows.

.:Edit:.

DreamTheater F T W
Dream Theater? They're gods to me! Petrucci is so fecking good.
_Metal_Guitar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 00:49   #14
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unless the new team gets dedicated servers options for MW2 and a anti-cheat system that actually works, I don't give a pretty damn F about them. MW2 is full of cheaters today and has become unplayable, a joyful game ruined, thank you Activision, IW (dumba** ideia) and VAC anti-cheat system, well done!
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote