bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:13   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Books based on games: Halo

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/04...w-hear-me-out/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:21   #2
shokwaav
What's a Dremel?

shokwaav has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yes it does 'male' me to make a film.

fix typo pls
shokwaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:23   #3
rmagro
What's a Dremel?

rmagro has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved all of the xbox games, so might try out reading some of these books
rmagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:23   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
You came to Portugal just to read Halo?! ZOMG! FAIL!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:32   #5
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
typo in the 3rd paragrapgh
Quote:
and it genuinely males me wish
I read the novel that accompanied my copy of Planescape Torment, which was really enjoyable

Edit: already pointed out, that'll teach me to refresh before posting

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:34   #6
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
i was a huge fan of Halo books when playing Halo 1 on the PC, read all first 3 and loved number 1 and 3 by Eric Nylund. the back story was told in a brilliant way.

but Halo 2 on PC sucked really hard, thus made me lost interest in the franchise. and started uni, so didn't have so much free time reading novels.
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:35   #7
Kalcifer
Itís fun to do the impossible.

Kalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
+1 I've read them too and would <3 to see a "GOOD" Halo movie made.
-CASE- Fractal Design Define R2 Titanium -CPU-QX6850 @ 3.00 GHz -MOBO-Asus P5N32-E SLI -RAM- 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM -GPU- GeForce 8800 Ultra -STORAGE- Crucial C300 256GB 6Gb/s SSD - 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 -OPTICAL-LG DVDRW - LG Blu-Ray Reader -COOLING- 4x140 + 3x120 Fractal Design Fans - 2x140 + 2x120 DEMCiflex Dust Filters - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler
Kalcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:49   #8
BFT-001
You can do that?!

BFT-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Reading up on the backstory really opened up on the Halo Universe. If you truly appreciate the series and not just for its multiplayer experience then I really hope you take the time to read the books. It will really immerse you into the Haloverse beyond the campaign of any Halo game so far.
BFT-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 10:56   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Doom....I read the Doom Books. The first one (knee deep in the dead) was great, provided a kind of back story to the game and gave it a little more context. The rest of the books....not so great.

Off topic a little, but playing Dawn of War 2 made me want to read the Warhammer 40K books and I can very heartily recommend the Angels of Darkness novel. Great story, lovely twist and great insight into the background of the Space Marine Chapter.
Old 20th Apr 2010, 11:50   #10
interzen
Real men use chainsaws.

interzen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Even though I'm not a fan of the games, I keep meaning to read the 'Halo' books but never quite seem to get around to it.

I did make a point of reading the two novels that tied in with "Dragon Age: Origins" though - not only did they fill in a lot of the back story to the game but were also mighty fine novels in their own right.
interzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 11:52   #11
pullmyfoot
superbacon

pullmyfoot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you know, there is one problem with abducting genitically superior human babies and replacing them with clones who die. This means that there will be no more genitically superior human babies for the next generation. So we are screwed.
pullmyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 11:56   #12
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
The Halo books are good, except "The Flood" which covers Combat Evolved - it's a walkthrough interspersed with macho phrases. This could be a characteristic of being written by a different author to the rest.

All the others I really enjoyed though.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 12:45   #13
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought all the Halo books, and loved them too (at this point I had only completed the third game, gotten halfway through the second, and never touched the story on the first). There's alot of back story that you just don't know is there till you read them.

Gears of War is another game that I've enjoyed the novel of. The first book is called Aspho Fields (you hear a brief mention of the battle in the first game), and it really fleshes out the backstory and characters, as well as covering events between the first and second game (the book ends right where GoW2 picks up). The second book, Jacinto's Remnant, has only recently been released, but I'm really struggling to find a store that has it (I actually only came across the first by accident).
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 12:52   #14
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
By the way you make the books sound, they sound interesting. A shame if you stayed indoors when you were in Portugal for holidays, I guess it was summer holidays so you have lost some good days. You could have enjoyed the weather and at night read the book.

Nevertheless, I'm a bit happy to see BT staff comes around here every now and then. Could you left hardware crumbles (new and good) so I can pick up where you've passed by?!
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 13:04   #15
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
Doom....I read the Doom Books. The first one (knee deep in the dead) was great, provided a kind of back story to the game and gave it a little more context. The rest of the books....not so great.
+1

Knee Deep in the Dead was a fantastic little read, who knew they could turn the plotless Doom into a genuinely good Sci-Fi read?

Plus, any books written by a pair of guys called Dafydd Ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver HAVE to be good.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 13:38   #16
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Been interested in getting the books myself, but never bothered to actually buy them. Anybody care to tell me which order they are in so i can go spend more money?

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 13:54   #17
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and not sure about the rest, i think 4th one is Ghost something.

The Flood isn't worth reading though. Fall of Reach is the best one IMHO (out of 3 i've read)
Old 20th Apr 2010, 13:55   #18
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
I have all the books pictures minus the cole protocol (I couldn't get it at the time).

I love them mainly for the same reasons that the author loves them (sci fi, war etc).

On a Halo theme, I am currently reading through the Ringworld books. I am having trouble getting my head around the scale of the ringworld itself (1 million miles wide, with walls a 1000 miles high). I need to find ringworld engineers now.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 14:36   #19
proxymoron
Minimodder

proxymoron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Alpha Centauri novels are well worth reading.
proxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2010, 14:42   #20
Volund
Am I supposed to care?

Volund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and not sure about the rest, i think 4th one is Ghost something.

The Flood isn't worth reading though. Fall of Reach is the best one IMHO (out of 3 i've read)
Ghosts of Onyx- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_of_onyx

If you believe in GLaDOS and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
Volund is offline   Reply With Quote