bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:34   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Silverstone’s “Air Penetrator” fan not as kinky as it sounds

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...netrator-fan/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:40   #2
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Surely one would need number before being interested in a fan? But for now, it certainly sounds promising.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:44   #3
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
interested. it looks cool. and it gives you street cred too! "yeah baby, my hardware is made to penetrate in a straight line. it'll keep your balloons floating... and with all the twists and my close-pitch aproach, you'll be blown away"

Last edited by alpaca; 22nd Apr 2010 at 11:17.
alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 10:46   #4
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca
interested. it looks cool. and it gives you streed cred too! "yeah baby, my hardware is made to penetrate in a straight line. it'll keep your balloons floating... and with all the twists and my close-pitch aproach, you'll be blown away"
Someone needs to employ in marketing, that;s genius

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 11:36   #5
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hmm I might get two of these for my RV01. I beed something to improve the airflow!
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:10   #6
amacieli
Multimodder

amacieli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
need CFM and dB numbers
amacieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:37   #7
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This would do well for... what?

Radiators don't really need linear airflow - the casing of the rad tunnels the airflow already. Case fans also don't really need linear airflow. They just need to get air in, and get air out.

Seriously, I don't particularly see the point...?
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:38   #8
aron311
Modder

aron311 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacieli View Post
need CFM and dB numbers
+1
aron311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:06   #9
Bloodburgers
Multimodder

Bloodburgers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Hmm I might get two of these for my RV01. I beed something to improve the airflow!
hmmm.... DP?
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:10   #10
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
So are you saying you will have double penetration? 4 mintues and you stole it from me

I agree with rickysio, when you want something to be air cooled turbulence is your friend so why would i want a linear (i dont think its good enough to say laminate) flow fan? The only time I can think of that being useful is if whatever you are cooling, the back of a GPU PCB for example, is at a right angle to the fan.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:21   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron311 View Post
+1
Those shown are only prototypes and quoting company figures is like pulling a number out of the hat most of the time.

If it's of any use, the one I saw was pretty damn quiet.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:37   #12
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
turbulance is not a friend with cooling
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:04   #13
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
This would do well for... what?

Radiators don't really need linear airflow - the casing of the rad tunnels the airflow already. Case fans also don't really need linear airflow. They just need to get air in, and get air out.

Seriously, I don't particularly see the point...?
My thoughts exactly. I really want to think of a use for these, but other than having one in the roof and floating a balloon on top I can't come up with anything.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:20   #14
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Only spec I can see is 0.33A which means they'll be loudish but the design should make them good for radiators and tower cooler, especially in push-pull. I'm trying to persuade them that make decisions to do triple pentration kits.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:28   #15
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
turbulance is not a friend with cooling
incorrect turbulent flow is much better than laminer flow for cooling
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:34   #16
Queelis
Minimodder

Queelis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
incorrect turbulent flow is much better than laminer flow for cooling
If we're talking about case airflow - laminar is better (moves more air in given time period). If we're about heatsink airflow, then it's the other way around.
Queelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:43   #17
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpower-UK View Post
I'm trying to persuade them that make decisions to do triple pentration kits.
love the name.

i think use of this is in cases that you want to direct where the air end up. with normal fans, the air spreads out too much. with these, you will be able to place one further away from the graphics card intake, trusting its directed wind to work its way into the graphics card.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:48   #18
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
As there's normally a fan at the front and one at the rear.. Will there be a spitroast edition?

Too far?
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 15:09   #19
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So I've spent some time thinking about it, and honestly? Floating 3 balloons above your radiator should be a pretty cool party trick.

Jokes aside, pretty much I think the only use is to direct focused air across passively cooled cards.

But if you go for passive cards, you go for silence, not this type of 0.33A loud-ish fans.

Besides, all one needs is a 120MM diameter tube, and any normal fan pumps out nearly laminar airflow!
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 16:35   #20
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I used to have a 60mm delta fan with a similar angled grill on the other side (which made the entire fan almost a cube), and while it was pretty direct flow, that might have been due to the stupid rmps that that fan put out, truly a screamer.
It eventually met its end when I managed to get a finger too close. Damn thing cut right to the bone before the blade snapped.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote