bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Three new Call of Duty games in the works

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...in-the-works/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:18   #2
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
*milk* *milk* *milk*

Does anyone else hear something?
Three games in just over 1.5 years!? Can you really develop a quality product in six months?

Quote:
Activision is not pocketing that bonus money; it's still going to the people who work at IW. But you have to work at IW to get it, see? I don't want to see talented people screwed out of a paycheck any more than you do.
Then pay them it. Now. And let them walk if they don't want to work for arseholes.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:29   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Obviously one of them is a CoD MMO.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:37   #4
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
Three games in just over 1.5 years!? Can you really develop a quality product in six months?
Nope you can pretty much gurantee it'll be same engine and model with a different setting/scenery and storyline. Something a mod team could probably put together in the same time frame.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:38   #5
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
Nope you can pretty much gurantee it'll be same engine and model with a different setting/scenery and storyline. Something a mod team could probably put together in the same time frame.
and for 10 quid more then the last one
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 12:41   #6
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
resounding meh, the console gamers will likely lap it up but i just can't seem to care.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:02   #7
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
Obviously one of them is a CoD MMO.
I'd be more inclined to bet on an RTS game.
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:09   #8
theflatworm
Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

theflatworm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*yawn*
theflatworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:09   #9
gavomatic57
I Mod, Therefore I Own

gavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
Can you really develop a quality product in six months?
That's just it, they're not. CoD2 was the last good one - it had a plot. Sure, it was based on a historical event so it was almost written for them, but even so...
gavomatic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:16   #10
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ad new skins, put a tree here and there and milk...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:32   #11
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Three expansions in 1.5 years would maybe be ok. But real quality games take a while to produce even if you have the graphics engine sorted out in advance. Three quality games in 1.5 years? Seems pretty unlikely.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:35   #12
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's 3 different studios working concurrently, so that's a turn around of 1-2 years per game, which is standard fare for an fps. Even Valve pumped out a decent sequel in 1 year.

The non fps is a 3rd person action/adventure done by sledgehammer games (founded by guys who lead Dead Space dev). I expect all of these CoD's to be passable games (6/10, though I'm sure IGN et al will be dishing out 8's and 9's) but even if one is exceptional it is still going to suffer from brand saturation.

If making games means any more than just a job to those left at IW I see no reason for them to stay. The lack of creative freedom at Activision is stifling and damaging to the industry as a whole. We need new studios to create new IP with the unique vision of someone fresh, not be put straight to work on the most generic dross out there.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:37   #13
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Let's see:
Modern Warfare 3,
Another WW2 one from treyarch,
and an RTS based on the same engine from a 3rd party, which will be aimed squarely at an aging Company of Heroes, and fail horribly...

That's my 2c worth
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:43   #14
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Could be a RTS, a MMO and a RPG.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:44   #15
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
...unless they finally make a Vietnam.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 13:51   #16
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I, for one, can't wait to play 3 more Call of Duty titles in the near future. Especially now that the original development team have left. I'm sure they will exceed our heady expectations.

Last edited by GravitySmacked; 22nd Apr 2010 at 23:38.
GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:17   #17
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The original dev team left Westwood and we've all seen that mess.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 15:06   #18
ambrose
What's a Dremel?

ambrose has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sure we have all that bonus money...... i mean we paid 50m to make game + 100m selling it, minus that from the 1bn we raked in off the last one, yeah we have the cash. oh the bonuses we talked about.... oh uh..... just dont quit. we promise youll get it. actually lets just say last one to quit gets the cash.
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 15:16   #19
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMarine View Post
The original dev team left Westwood and we've all seen that mess.
indeed

but i will be expecting the game by Treyarch to feel most like an original CoD game.
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 16:14   #20
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bursar View Post
I'd be more inclined to bet on an RTS game.
I'm sorry but they're all making MMOs of something that already exists. Then they cancel it. It's either an MMO or a MOD for +10 bucks over the last one.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote