bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Apr 2010, 11:53   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony using new PS3 hardware

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ps3-hardware/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 12:44   #2
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
I can't wait for ifixit or similar breakdown sites to get their grubby mitts on these new system

Also waiting to see the new XBox 360 hardware.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 12:49   #3
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
so THATS why the latest firmware update bricked fat PS3...
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 12:55   #4
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Except the firmware update had nothing to do with the 24hour downtime of the fat ps3

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 13:00   #5
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
That means there will be price cuts.......oh wait, its Sony!

would be nice to see the power figures on these. When the slim launched sony had managed to get it even with the 360. Other than that theres not much more for me to care about.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 13:48   #6
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
My girlfriends old PS3 just broke about a month ago. She wont buy a new one because she hates the appearance of it and she has been told that the plastic case breaks easily.
If sony if making money on these things then they should either:
lower price of games
lower price of PS3
make a higher quality PS3
Old 26th Apr 2010, 13:52   #7
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod
Except the firmware update had nothing to do with the 24hour downtime of the fat ps3
but it had everything to do with breaking the blu-ray drive in fat PS3s...
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 14:03   #8
Chocobollz
Multimodder

Chocobollz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9
My girlfriends old PS3 just broke about a month ago. She wont buy a new one because she hates the appearance of it and she has been told that the plastic case breaks easily.
lower price of games
lower price of PS3
Ok so now we don't buy a console just because its appearance & case quality. Sounds like your girlfriend is prone to marketing trick like those made by Apple (for example ). I think she should buy an iPad instead!
Chocobollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 14:13   #9
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Chrisb2's Mrs. has a good point though - a console is a pretty well-used object, it has to look decent (sitting next to your TV it's often in eye-line) and it has to be robust enough to get a few knocks without falling to pieces.
Old 26th Apr 2010, 15:07   #10
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
We have both the normal and slim PS3's. The old one is more functional being one of the original 60gb versions and far more aesthetically appealing but the slim on is perfectly acceptable and its definatel quieter. I don't see how the case could get broken through normal use; Im confident that both PS3's could survive 'a few knocks' but I don't see why they should have to. They both use wirless controllers so its not like you ever have to move them, or even risk dragging them off a shelf by pulling the controller cable.
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 15:18   #11
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
I personally dont see what the fuss is, i think the piano black look of the fat is awesome.
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 15:29   #12
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
Chrisb2's Mrs. has a good point though - a console is a pretty well-used object, it has to look decent (sitting next to your TV it's often in eye-line) and it has to be robust enough to get a few knocks without falling to pieces.
You use your console to play golf? I would think that the console would be left alone (except for ejecting CD's etc), like a TV, unless you do use your TV to play baseball. Or something.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 16:15   #13
mighty_pirate
Multimodder

mighty_pirate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman
That means there will be price cuts.......oh wait, its Sony!
Quote:
lower price of games
lower price of PS3
Playing devil's advocate, why shouldn't Sony make a profit from the consoles?
It would seem that these changes both save them some money & provide a slightly more stable console for buyers. Surely the news is win-win?
mighty_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 17:20   #14
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
I agree that a console should look decent. The fat PS3 looked miles better than the slim. Good build quality is nice, as it generally means better looks and quieter operation, and good build quality outside is indicative that care has been taken throughout, so better quality inside. But as for taking a few knocks, I don't get that at all - a PS3 is not intended to be a portable device. It contains sensitive electronics and moving components (HDD, Blu-Ray drive), so kicking it about isn't going to do it any good. Why should it be designed to take a few knocks when it's squirrelled away under / beside your TV?
Old 26th Apr 2010, 17:28   #15
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Ehm? what about the money invested in Games? besides, what are the alternatives? the RRODind not exactly designer piece console going by the name of Xbox 360? or the lacking in the games department Wii?
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 18:31   #16
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
lower price of games
lower price of PS3
Yea if this was to ever actually happen it would be the ultimate Truth to humanity that God does exist.
Old 26th Apr 2010, 18:39   #17
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO &lt;ibis&gt;
Quote:
lower price of games
lower price of PS3
Yea if this was to ever actually happen it would be the ultimate Truth to humanity that God does exist.
+1 LOLz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
I agree that a console should look decent. The fat PS3 looked miles better than the slim. Good build quality is nice, as it generally means better looks and quieter operation, and good build quality outside is indicative that care has been taken throughout, so better quality inside. But as for taking a few knocks, I don't get that at all - a PS3 is not intended to be a portable device. It contains sensitive electronics and moving components (HDD, Blu-Ray drive), so kicking it about isn't going to do it any good. Why should it be designed to take a few knocks when it's squirrelled away under / beside your TV?
Couldn't agree more
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 18:40   #18
MarkW7
Total Noob

MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MarkW7 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Another thing on the PS3 kicks xbox's arse.
Old 26th Apr 2010, 19:00   #19
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9 View Post
...lower price of games
lower price of PS3
... and the fourth sign of the Apocalypse is...
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2010, 19:17   #20
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
I personally dont see what the fuss is, i think the piano black look of the fat is awesome.
yep

fat > skinny

(only when it comes to PS3s though...)
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote