bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Apr 2010, 11:58   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gigabyte has the POW-ERRR! Via USB.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...pow-errr-usb/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:03   #2
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
It's nice to see USB catching up somewhat with Firewire in the available power department

Still not sure about having USB as some kind of universal charging connector, though.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:05   #3
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
how does the shut-off power thing work? would PSU be still turned on?
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:10   #4
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Dumb dumb dumb. They're messing with the specs and it's only going to end in tears. You know Chinese knockoff manufacturers won't implement things properly and stuff's going to get burnt out.

The USB 3 spec should have just been designed with 2.5A as the maximum power it can supply. Then all these high draw appliances should either charge through a USB 3 port or flash a message saying it can't charge (i.e. for backwards compatability with USB 2) and have to be plugged in with a nice standardised barrel jack. We'd all upgrade to USB 3 sooner than the 2 bloody years it's going to take for rollout and everyone would be happy.

Stupid manufacturers each with proprietary versions of "standard" connectors.. ****ing arseholes... I need to go for a walk.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:15   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Why do you keep scratching things out writing awesome articles?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:18   #6
xalek
Minimodder

xalek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Errm... "With recent its motherboards" should read "With its recent motherboards"...

My first and still current mod:
My page
xalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 12:56   #7
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With the boost in power that USB3 gives us, can we expect to see any 3.5" external drives that don't require a power brick any time soon? The current 2.5" USB powered ones are okay, but they just don't have the capacity I need.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE

Last edited by l3v1ck; 28th Apr 2010 at 13:03.
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 13:38   #8
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
It's nice to see USB catching up somewhat with Firewire in the available power department

Still not sure about having USB as some kind of universal charging connector, though.
You don't have to be sure - the industry has already decided for you.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 13:51   #9
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
You don't have to be sure - the industry has already decided for you.
I meant more from a practical standpoint. Look at the iPad requiring a non-standard 'USB' port for charging as an example. Devices like that depend on non-standard implementations of USB host ports. Combined with announcements like the one referred to in this topic, it makes me fear that USB may soon stop to be the 'universal serial bus' it once was.

Of course, the iPad and such suck for not being able to trickle-charge from standard USB ports.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 13:54   #10
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Best article ever!

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:33   #11
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder if the power of greyskull on these USB ports is more likely to burn an improperly removed pendrive.
As far as I'm concerned, more power to the people is never good. :P
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 15:47   #12
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
how does the shut-off power thing work? would PSU be still turned on?
All the time the PC is plugged in to the mains and has power going to it the PSU it technically always on. When you press the power button on your case this creates a connection on your motherboard that tells it to power up.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:15   #13
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008 View Post
All the time the PC is plugged in to the mains and has power going to it the PSU it technically always on. When you press the power button on your case this creates a connection on your motherboard that tells it to power up.
cheers, lol.

but im asking since if you have 2 USB3 devices connected each drawing 2.7A of power, that's way over the 5Vstb current spec on most power supplies. that means the PSU will has to be fully operational for 5v rail to be able to deliver power.

i agree with most comments here, out of spec hardware should not exist. especially considering USB 2.0 shouldn't provide 500mA on plugging in, the hardware has to ask for it, otherwise it's only 150mA.
Old 28th Apr 2010, 17:07   #14
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
that's just the standby voltage though.. would mean you can't use wake on usb devices

edit- well actually you could.. the devices won't be pulling much of anything at idle
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 17:55   #15
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is the USB next door to the the USA?
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 18:00   #16
Azayles
Supermodder

Azayles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Years ago I started a computer project which saw a mini-ITX board, screen, keyboard and trackpad mouse squeezed into an aluminium flight case. I designed the USB ports so that power was supplied directly from a separate PSU, therefore allowing several amps of current to power things like custom computer interfaces etc. I could also programatically switch off power to certain ports, as well as keep the power live when the rest of the computer was shut down.
This idea from Gigabyte is pretty much the same (more power, and power present when machine switched off) so it's not really a new idea at all. I'm sure there's been countless people before me that've wired a higher current power source directly to their USB ports for charging and powering things.
Old 28th Apr 2010, 18:32   #17
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
^+1 rep for pro modding

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 20:33   #18
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More pics that can enlarge pleasethankyou!!

Gigabyte are definitely my mobo manufacturer of choice atm.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 20:39   #19
eternum
*blam* shotgun fanhole

eternum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingCrosby
Is the USB next door to the the USA?
I lol'd - I shouldn't have, but I did!
Old 29th Apr 2010, 00:45   #20
FreQ
Minimodder

FreQ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Gigabyte has increased the power of its USB ports three fold to over 9000!
What 9000!?!
FreQ is offline   Reply With Quote