bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:25   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Google enables Android Turn-by-Turn Sat Nav for UK users

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...for-uk-users/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:35   #2
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Shame Hero owners have to wait until JUNE for this though
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:38   #3
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Shame Hero owners have to wait until JUNE for this though
Sucks to be you, although you on holiday

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:39   #4
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm loving these free sat nav apps. Ovi Maps on my Nokia 5800 rocks and it works just as well as any dedicated sat nav.
Phenom II X4 940 w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM @ 1066MHz | Asus GTX 460 1GB (900/1800/2100) | 1.8TB of HDDs | Antec 900 | Corsair TX750W | Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Steam
I motovlog
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 14:50   #5
LJF
Modded

LJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Google Maps on Android isn't likely to replace dedicated devices in the short term, however: because maps and directions are streamed to the device rather than stored locally, the service won't work if you're in the middle of nowhere and can't get a data signal on your phone - precisely the sort of situation in which you need a sat-nav most.
Though I haven't thoroughly tested it myself, i've read that Navigation downloads the necessary data for your route to local storage when you set it. (Apparently) It only needs to download extra data if you stray from the set route.

Just while sat here at my desk (without a GPS connection) I plotted a local route. When scrolling along the route it only appears to download data when bringing up local street names. The map itself appears to be drawn differently to standard Google Maps and doesnt have the same level of detail suggesting it might be local.

Anyone else got any more of an idea about it?
LJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 15:03   #6
msm722
Multimodder

msm722 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a shame it has to download the maps/image as you go.
msm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:07   #7
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow, your only a week late on this news. TR announced this on the 21st

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:10   #8
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet! I now have sat nav!
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:17   #9
l3v1ck

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Or at least I would if my Desire could find a satellite
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:28   #10
LJF
Modded

LJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the DremelLJF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm722
It's a shame it has to download the maps/image as you go.
... what did I just say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
Or at least I would if my Desire could find a satellite
You aren't stood indoors are you?!
LJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 16:40   #11
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
It's great for short trips but even if you remember to charge your battery before you go on a longer trip, your phone will still be dead in a couple of hours as the GPS and A-GPS network triangulation take a heavy toll on the battery. I've got in the habit of using a portable battery pack in the car for my iPhone + CoPilot which keeps it going for about 12 hrs of navigation, but if you already have a dedicated sat nav unit, it's far from redundant imho.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 18:30   #12
Eccles
What's a Dremel?

Eccles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hopefully the voices will be sorted out at some point as the TTS it uses on the Desire is rubbish and quite often it's too garbled to understand. Apart from that it seems to work well.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 18:34   #13
human_error
Minimodder

human_error has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been using google navigation since it was enabled last week and before that i was using brutal's hacked verion of google navigation for use in the UK.

The data usage for maps is as follows - when you plot a map initially it stores the basic map data for the entire route, and about 100 foot of the roads along your route in case you make a small mistake. If you need to significantly re-plot, have sattelite view enabled (instead of the map view you get the google earth sattelite images as your map), if you want to see street view images of where you are and where you are going or if you have the traffic info up then navigation will need a data connection to enable those features (the sattelite image view is great to drive with, but eats bandwidth and needs a constant connection else you get low-res images or just the plain road map if you don't have any data bandwidth available.

I love google navigation - ever since i started using it my old tom tom pda kit has been sitting idle - nothing beats having fully up-to-date maps with the option to do a voice search for things you need on the way - low on petrol, ask it to display gas stations and it will show you all the petrol stations near you, with the option to get info such as phone numbers and user reviews with a couple of clicks.

As for battery life yeah it drains your battery fast, but if you are using it in a car why the hell would you not have it plugged into a car charger anyway? Even before google navigation i plugged my phone into the car charger just to keep the battery topped up.
human_error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 20:20   #14
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
It's great for short trips but even if you remember to charge your battery before you go on a longer trip, your phone will still be dead in a couple of hours as the GPS and A-GPS network triangulation take a heavy toll on the battery. I've got in the habit of using a portable battery pack in the car for my iPhone + CoPilot which keeps it going for about 12 hrs of navigation, but if you already have a dedicated sat nav unit, it's far from redundant imho.
.... or you could just plug your phone into the cigarette lighter socket - just like the satnav, for that matter. Also if you need directions while you're on foot chances are you don't want to carry around a portable satnav, but you'll more than likely have your phone.

I've been using Ovimaps for yonks. A while back my N95 had free maps for a good while, and you downloaded the map files as well so you were sorted even if there wasn't a data connection. Lost that with the N97, but they made it free for all a few months back. It always used to come up with different routes than Googlemaps, though, and I tended to think that GM gave a better route - you just have to read it like a map if you haven't got an Android. Still, they both get you where you want to go.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2010, 22:59   #15
l3v1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJF View Post
You aren't stood indoors are you?!
Technically yes, but I was right next to a big window so it should have picked up something.
I'll give it another test outside tomorrow.
Old 29th Apr 2010, 08:42   #16
Crunch77
Modder

Crunch77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Shame that it is not enabled in Scandinavia yet, just as paid apps aren't.
Would certainly be nice with an option to pre-download data for an area/county/country, especially when going abroad.
Crunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2010, 08:55   #17
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
got my desire just as satnav in car packs in...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2010, 11:25   #18
humdrumian_monkey
What's a Dremel?

humdrumian_monkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
About time someone released free sat nav software
humdrumian_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 11:59   #19
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any recomendations for a car mount that will support most HTC android devices?
I will def pick one up now, probabaly the incredible when its avilaable in the UK if ever else will be desire or legend
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote