bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Apr 2010, 11:54   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Apple explains why no Flash on iPhone

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...sh-on-iphone/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:01   #2
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i thought the real main reason was this:

Quote:
[...]
Current Flash sites could never be made work well on any touchscreen device, and this cannot be solved by Apple, Adobe, or magical new hardware.

That’s not because of slow mobile performance, battery drain or crashes. It’s because of the hover or mouseover problem.

Many (if not most) current Flash games, menus, and even video players require a visible mouse pointer. They are coded to rely on the difference between hovering over something (mouseover) vs. actually clicking. This distinction is not rare. It’s pervasive, fundamental to interactive design, and vital to the basic use of Flash content.
[...]
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...ant-use-flash/
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:05   #3
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And let's not forget that Apple would probably rather you bought games etc from the App Store rather than nice and free in embedded flash....
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:20   #4
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
He can go bugger himself. Long Live Android!
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:27   #5
Nedsbeds
Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
HTML is no more suited to touch than flash.
Common interactions involve rolling / hovering. Just look at drop down menus!
and Javascript does not natively support multiple cursors (or fingers)
Nedsbeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:38   #6
Spuzzell
Multimodder

Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
So.. *FLASH* is the closed platform. In comparison with the iPhone.

Really, Steve? REALLY?
Spuzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:01   #7
gavomatic57
I Mod, Therefore I Own

gavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzzell View Post
So.. *FLASH* is the closed platform. In comparison with the iPhone.

Really, Steve? REALLY?
No, in comparison to HTML5, like the open letter says.
gavomatic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:08   #8
Nedsbeds
Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nedsbeds is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavomatic57 View Post
No, in comparison to HTML5, like the open letter says.
Even the closed apple specific extensions to javascript in safari!? I don't think so
Nedsbeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:18   #9
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrmot
And let's not forget that Apple would probably rather you bought games etc from the App Store rather than nice and free in embedded flash....
what flash games are you talking about? haven't played a good one yet, and quite a lot of games on app store a free
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:18   #10
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
example of old games - html, css, javascript:

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:29   #11
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can argue whether or not websites should use Flash or HTML 5 all day long.
The fact is they DO use Flash, so it would make life easier for Apple users if Apple supported it.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:35   #12
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexx
what flash games are you talking about? haven't played a good one yet, and quite a lot of games on app store a free
http://www.amanita-design.net/samorost-1/

And all those people who like to play *shudder* farmville etc are bang out of luck too... And yes a lot are free - but usually trials to tempt you into splashing out for the full version, for which Apple of course takes a cut.... etc etc.
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:38   #13
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
The fact is they DO use Flash, so it would make life easier for Apple users if Apple supported it.
+1 Apple have no real excuse here
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:41   #14
cybergenics

cybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...kes-steve-jobs
cybergenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:41   #15
cybergenics

cybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcybergenics has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck View Post
Exactly.
cybergenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:49   #16
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
who needs flash anyway? Flashblocker r the win!

flash takes up resource, flash makes your netbook unusable, flash makes a website cluncky. i really like Apple's move, Flash should die!
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:53   #17
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
+1 Apple have no real excuse here
To: crazeyceo
Re: Apple have no excuse

We don't need one. Thhhhppppppppppppppppt!

Sent from my iPad.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:53   #18
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
flash makes your netbook unusable
You could argue that the terrible Intel Atom makes your netbook unusable. [/devil's advocate]
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:57   #19
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
If anyone is interested here's an interview with Adobe CEO about this that I find very interesting an elucidative:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ith-adobe-ceo/

And about Flash being a closed platform the Adobe CEO says:
Quote:
Responding to a question about Mr. Jobs's assertion that Adobe is a closed platform, Mr. Narayen chuckles. "I find it amusing, honestly. Flash is an open specification," he says.
One other thing: regarding HTML5, isn't H.264 proprietary?
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 14:06   #20
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
There is no getting away from it, there could have been far better solutions to embedded video on the web than flash (flash apps and games aside, here), and I for one welcome the embrace of HTML5, it's a much better solution and my only wish is that it could have been brought in sooner.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote