bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Apr 2010, 11:23   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Skyfire brings Flash video to Android

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...o-to-android/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 12:57   #2
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can you upgrade current Android 2.1 phones to Android 2.2?
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:08   #3
freedom810
Supermodder

freedom810 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfreedom810 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just want a htc hero firmware upgrade
freedom810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 13:24   #4
Comet
Minimodder

Comet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, obviously the upcoming native flash support should provide a better experience when it comes to Flash based content. And I'm sure Skyfire will provide full Flash support when the flash plugin is avaiable on the android platform. But as you put it, the interesting thing in Skyfire browser is the ability to detect and transcode video on a web page to a device supported format. And this opens the window to video that would otherwise be unavailable on the platform. Unfortunatly the mobile world is still fragmented with no device that can provide the full desktop browser experience on the phone. Add to the fact that unfortunatly there is in my opinion a stupid format war on mobile devices with Apple closing support for almost any kind of outside format and also that competitors usualy delay plugin support for competitive platforms for ages, thus surfing the web ends up becoming like walking in a labyrith with dead-ends everywhere. "sorry no flash. sorry no quicktime or no silverlight, or no xvid or ogg" and so on.
And sorry but no. HTML5 is not the solution to all problems. Why? Because it takes ages to add a format to the list of supported video formats in HTML5 vide tag. Imagine if companies had to wait for the W3C to aprove the release of a new and better video codec. And thats the thing.
HTML5 video support is great because it allows content builders to have a baseline on what a user can run. But obviously some companies will want to grab user attention by using new technologies. Thats where Skyfire method may be useful. In worst case scenarios (like we have today) where there is no support for a certain video content on your platform, they'll do the job and give you at least a close version of the content.
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 14:02   #5
zimbloggy
Genius Extraordinaire

zimbloggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does this work with hulu? If there is a phone that plays hulu videos, that's reason enough to get one over the iphone.
Old 30th Apr 2010, 16:20   #6
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom810
I just want a htc hero firmware upgrade
I just rooted my Hero on UK Orange, sick of HTC not publishing proper dates and now using one of the many custom roms with 2.1 (and 2.2 once I've read into it).
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 20:12   #7
nitrous9200
Multimodder

nitrous9200 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yawn. Had this on WinMo for months (years maybe). Works fairly well esp. for Flash but the UI is not great and looking at web pages looks like a highly compressed JPEG photo.
nitrous9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2010, 23:55   #8
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
its a bit fiddly on my htc desire, not as good as skyfire on my old N96
bbc news live wont work, and all videos seem to want to load in a "new window" rather than on the web page itself.
uninstalled, ill wait for native support in 2.2
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 03:10   #9
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Unfortunatly the mobile world is still fragmented with no device that can provide the full desktop browser experience on the phone. Add to the fact that unfortunatly there is in my opinion a stupid format war on mobile devices with Apple closing support for almost any kind of outside format and also that competitors usualy delay plugin support for competitive platforms for ages, thus surfing the web ends up becoming like walking in a labyrith with dead-ends everywhere. "sorry no flash. sorry no quicktime or no silverlight, or no xvid or ogg" and so on.
Seriously, the N900. It can run a (full desktop) Linux distro (Easy Debian) smoothly (Even GIMP runs fine), which implies very good things.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 11:57   #10
Lemmingzappa
Supermodder

Lemmingzappa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good news !
Lemmingzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 12:09   #11
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
a pair of zoom buttons make themselves known during scrolling or zooming operations.
You can turn them off in the options

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
Yawn. Had this on WinMo for months (years maybe). Works fairly well esp. for Flash but the UI is not great and looking at web pages looks like a highly compressed JPEG photo.
Skyfire is better in Android than the one I used on WinMo. On WinMo, the page it rendered on their servers then shipped to you, so embedded Flash works but the whole thing is a bit crap.

Skyfire on Android feels like a native browser on the device but when they detect a video, they transcode it and push it to you.

edit: oh, and yes the N900 is pretty awesome. But there are some cool Googley things it can't do
Old 1st May 2010, 12:29   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupboard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
a pair of zoom buttons make themselves known during scrolling or zooming operations.
You can turn them off in the options
Ooh, didn't spot that - cheers.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 14:35   #13
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupboard View Post
edit: oh, and yes the N900 is pretty awesome. But there are some cool Googley things it can't do
Indeed, yes, but that's because which company will support the competition?

However, I DO question how these companies manage to stay afloat. Computational time and server bandwidth is certainly not free - how in the blue blazes are they surviving? Hopefully Skyfire will survive long enough to see all handhelds possessing sufficient hardware grunt to render ALL flash videos and ALL games, though!

Or when Duke Flash 10.1 Forever is released.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:42   #14
oatey4519
can't be arsed...

oatey4519 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
put this on my HTC Desire and it really looked good.
But then it just didn't seem slick enough and videos didn't want to load
Back to standard browser.. which is very good anyway
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz EK HF Nickel Blocked - 8GB Corsair Vengeance RED - EVGA Z77 FTW - 120GB Corsair Force GT - 1TB Samsung F1 - 1TB Samsung F3 - EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig2 3GB - EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - Coolermaster Silent Pro M1000 W - Corsair 800D - Dell 2209W 1920 x 1080 - ASUS Xonar Dx - Sennheiser PC350 Headphones - Saitek Keyboard & Logitech G9 Mouse
oatey4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 05:37   #15
fabler
Supermodder

fabler has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good News. And I've N1.. will get the native flash update and froyo soon..

a.k.a stalker.
owned a google nexus one.
fabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:49   #16
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ya when I tried this on my coworkers phone it took forever to load a video and we had full 3g bars and everything, just to make sure it wasnt the network I took my palm pre plus turned on its mobile router feature and used a desktop to pull the same video over the same network and it loaded in a snap but still a cool idea but I dont think it will be to much longer before 10.1 is released anyways.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote