bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd May 2010, 12:10   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sony VPL-HW15 Projector Review

Sony's new 1080p projector is enormous, but is the image quality any good?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mon...ony-vpl-hw15/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:32   #2
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
A projector is on the WANT list when I sell my 42" LCD, that's for sure.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:07   #3
wormy
Supermodder

wormy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwormy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
there's a USA based review site, projectorreviews.com, that seems to do very detailed reviews and which I used to base my decision to buy a Sanyo Z700. The Sonys always get a good write up anywhere though so, if you can afford it and house the beast, like the bit-tech review says, I expect you'll be well pleased with the Sony.

Full HD pjs start at a shade under 1k sterling now, but a DLP for that price is likely to suffer from potential rainbow effect. I would certainly recommend auditioning if you can, as unlike pcs, audio-visual stuff can be much more of a subjective experience
wormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:46   #4
Spraduke
Lurker

Spraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Projector >> TV for film watching. I have an Infocus IN76 set up for movies hooked up to a entry level sony av amp and panasonic BD player and omg its awesome. It may only be 720p but its still very sharp despite being 103" (onto a plain white flat wall). I have a 42" panasonic plasma which is great for TV viewing but i would never watch a movie on it again now.
Spraduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:08   #5
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that picturelink on page 1 has a typo:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...etail3.jpg.jpg
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:05   #6
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Thanks DirtyH, fixed now.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:08   #7
[WP@]WOLVERINE
Supermodder

[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[WP@]WOLVERINE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A projector really is a wonderful thing. Both for movies and for thoose beer drinking guitar hero playing saturdays I have a mitsubichi HC 5500 sooting on a Kingpin 16:9 131 inch framed screen and its freaking awesome
Intel i7 980X EE | 6gb HyperX 2ghz DDR3 | Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm ed | Asus 7950 DCII | Corsair HX1000 | SB X-Fi Fatality | 5.1tb storage+2xX25M 80gb SSD | Lian Li pc201 | 3xBenQ G2420HDB@Eyefinity | Ms Natural 4000 | Corsair M60 | Logitech Z-5450.
[WP@]WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:14   #8
wormy
Supermodder

wormy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwormy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraduke View Post
Projector >> TV for film watching. I have an Infocus IN76 set up for movies hooked up to a entry level sony av amp and panasonic BD player and omg its awesome. It may only be 720p but its still very sharp despite being 103" (onto a plain white flat wall). I have a 42" panasonic plasma which is great for TV viewing but i would never watch a movie on it again now.
Sprad, sounds nice but you gotta get a screen! Seriously, it makes a real difference.

Wolverine, I hear that the Mitsubishis are very good pieces of kit. That's a big screen!
wormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:30   #9
Fabou
Supermodder

Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It would be amazing to have six of them witn this graphic card :ati-radeon-hd-5870-eyefinity-6. But you would need one hel of a big wall.
I really like your comment mate I wish I could express myself like this too! Thanks buddy!!
Fabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:11   #10
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How do these projectors stand up with regards to day time viewing?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:58   #11
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormy View Post
Full HD pjs start at a shade under 1k sterling now, but a DLP for that price is likely to suffer from potential rainbow effect.
less than that, got my optoma hd200x for 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
How do these projectors stand up with regards to day time viewing?
badly
you want it to be as dark as possible when watching stuff

but 100" screen is just awesome
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:09   #12
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good review guys. One thing I would say is that it did seem a bit copy and paste from the magazine, like when referencing the other projectors. Would be nice if it was a bit more rounded and adapted for the site - maybe you could've included the Panasonic as well since it was 2nd place?

@Schizo I think the Sony really needs a dark room, however some of the other projectors in the magazine didn't suffer so much in light. I think the Panasonic one they mentioned in this review was ok, but I'll have to dig out my magazine to check on it. Either way, you're better off making it dark and making sure there's no light shining directly onto the surface you're projecting on - if glare from the sun messes with regular screens you won't stand a chance with any projector!
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:30   #13
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
6 of these coupled with eyefinity and you got yourself a nice Cinema sized gaming rig!
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:39   #14
JAMF
Minimodder

JAMF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabou
It would be amazing to have six of them witn this graphic card :ati-radeon-hd-5870-eyefinity-6. But you would need one hel of a big wall.
I'd be happy with 3 or 4 side-by-side in portrait or 4 in a 2x2 setup.

3 gives a 1.688 ratio, 2x2 gives 1.778 and the 4 in portrait a 2.25 ratio. Four screens will still give you 8.29MP

If anyone knows of a dual mirror setup that mounts the front of the lens to get a portrait mode, which one can buy, please share. Projectors aren't made for standing them on their side.
JAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:30   #15
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I haven't read the full review in detail, but does it mention bulb cost? It's always been my reason not to go near a projector (50" Samsung in the main room) as tehy tend to cost a few hundred quid? Correct if wrong!
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:14   #16
jrr
I own a dremel, thank you.

jrr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I, for one, vote for more projector reviews! You guys seem pretty good at it, and I'll be looking for a new one in a year or two.
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 00:17   #17
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitchy
I haven't read the full review in detail, but does it mention bulb cost? It's always been my reason not to go near a projector (50" Samsung in the main room) as tehy tend to cost a few hundred quid? Correct if wrong!
Every Pj review should include the cost of a replacement bulb; and bulb life expectancy at the different brightness levels. If the Pj is great price, and the bulb only lasts a year and costs 1/4 of the price of the Pj, that should be something noted on the review.

But other than that, It did make hit up a couple sites to check prices and availability.

Replacement lamps are US$295 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LMP-H201-.../dp/B001HG5Y84

Last edited by B3CK; 3rd May 2010 at 05:13.
B3CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:22   #18
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For that much I would go for a really nice LED LCD screen, Im done with the whole replacing of the bulbs, however if I ever get around to building a dedicated theater room then I will go for a nice projector but until then I would use that 3k US for a really nice LED LCD TV instead.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:58   #19
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
look for features inside the projector, such as digital keystone correction
If you choose to use digital keystone correction you may as well stick with 720p for half the money.

As for the Sony beeing entry-level HD...I disagree. Sony VPL-HW15 (2000euro Bulb 260euro)
Entry level Full-HD is around half that.

DLP ACER H7530D Full-HD (950euro, Bulb <150euro)
Costs lesss than half that of the Sony, and is incredibly bright for daytime use.
Many people claim not to see the "Rainbow" effekt with this one. It was horrible for me, so I sent it back.

LCD EPSON EH-TW2900 Full-HD (1150euro Bulb 270euro) or EH-TW3500 Full HD (1300euro)
Giant case (3 LCD system), but very quiet, excellent lens shift and zoom.

And there's a handfull more.

I use it to project onto a 2,8m (110") screen, sitting about 4 Meters away and it just blows my socks off
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:10   #20
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Enty Level Continued:

DLP Optoma HD200x (800euro)
is pretty much identical to the ACER, but has a 2x higher switch in colours, reducing the Rainboweffect. Saw it live in a shop, and I didn't notice the rainboweffect, then again Full-HD they only had a "Tinkerbell" demo, which didn't have any strong contrasts.
Television (PAL) had no visible rainbow effect, but that rus at 50/i and not 24p.

DLP BenQ W1000 (900euro)
haven't tested this one

LCD Sanyo PLV-Z700 (1300euro)
Heared a lot of good about this one, but never saw it in action.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote