bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd May 2010, 09:36   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
NEC announces new phase-change cooler

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...hange-cooler/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:39   #2
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sounds great, sounds far off
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:49   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
interesting indeed! Shame the included pic is a old nec cooling system...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:52   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
interesting indeed! Shame the included pic is a old nec cooling system...
Aye - NEC hasn't released any images of the new system yet.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:57   #5
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The only thing I can say is

REEEALLY?
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:00   #6
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
once again NEC excels. If it's cheap i'm buying two!
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:07   #7
Teknokid
Ultramodder

Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
80% less energy than a high end air cooling system? right.. so that would be 80% less energy than a fan? I dont think so some how...
Teknokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:15   #8
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Impressive claims indeed.

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:25   #9
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknokid
80% less energy than a high end air cooling system? right.. so that would be 80% less energy than a fan? I dont think so some how...
They might be referring to server racks/hpc systems, which are often like wind tunnels :P
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:51   #10
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Ill take 3! One for the cpu and one each for my gpus!
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:07   #11
Kalcifer
Its fun to do the impossible.

Kalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youKalcifer - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Sign me up, if this lives up to its promises, I will be getting one, maybe even two.

I am very interested in which type of micro-compressor they used, anyone know?
-CASE- Fractal Design Define R2 Titanium -CPU-QX6850 @ 3.00 GHz -MOBO-Asus P5N32-E SLI -RAM- 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM -GPU- GeForce 8800 Ultra -STORAGE- Crucial C300 256GB 6Gb/s SSD - 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 -OPTICAL-LG DVDRW - LG Blu-Ray Reader -COOLING- 4x140 + 3x120 Fractal Design Fans - 2x140 + 2x120 DEMCiflex Dust Filters - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler
Kalcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:28   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, what else boils at 50 Celsius?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:41   #13
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will it be like some HSF's that cope well with most chips but struggle with high end hot ones?
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:44   #14
EdwardTeach
Multimodder

EdwardTeach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sounds like it will take a few years to filter through to the consumer market
EdwardTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:48   #15
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
If it's cheaper than watercooling I'm in.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:59   #16
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it's as good as they say it is they'll make a killing in data centres and similar environments.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:01   #17
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Not sure about the 'impressive' reduced power claims, they seem a bit desperate to me considering your average pump uses about 20W plus a few fans which draw next to nothing - even if they used 70% less power this would still only be a saving of less than 18W. Not exactly earth shattering savings when you consider a GTX 480 uses 300W . If the vapour needs to evaporate at 50 degrees Celsius for the circulation to kick in, that's already pretty warm so it would be interesting to see how close to ambient one of these could get compared to a high end custom watercooling system.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:52   #18
Deadpunkdave
...why you need a 20-sided die

Deadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Not exactly earth shattering savings when you consider a GTX 480 uses 300W .
Again, i think the efficiency angle is for server rooms where a 70% saving could save significant money.
Deadpunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:54   #19
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Two questions about phase change coolers.

C5H12 Pentan (Boils at) 36C (ignites at) 309C
C6H14 Hexan (Boils at) 69C (ignites at) 240C

First: What fluid is used in the "VaporX" coolers?

secondly, in a normal ATX-case the graphicscart is placed "Upside down".
Wouldn't the gas phase be at the hot point (die), and the fluid phase at the cold cooler side?)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:21   #20
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
NEC discover how fridges work.
Good work.

Bit cynical but how can't you be with such claims.