bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th May 2010, 09:21   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Use the internet to decide how to vote

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/05...e-how-to-vote/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 09:32   #2
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Good Post, Alex - I had to badger my wife into completing her postal vote this morning. She had seen the voterpower.org site, and decided that her vote meant so little that it wasn't worth bothering with.

I countered that she wouldn't be able to complain to me about anything related to anything the next government touches, and she relented.

Victory!
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:14   #3
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm in the next safest Tory seat after Tunbridge Wells, so my vote is meaningless no matter what I do. But really, even if this was not so: the choice is an unpleasant, self-serving git in a blue tie, a nasty, narcissistic git in a red tie, or a rotten, egotistical git in an orange tie, all with an indelible attachment to doing whatever makes them popular, rich, and above all still-in-power, regardless of absolutely anything else.

So really, what's the point?
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:29   #4
iwog
Linux cursed

iwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
One thing that’s not there is how they voted on the Digital Economy Bill; fortunately, that’s easily sorted thanks to They Work For The BPI. A quick CTRL+F reveals my MP did indeed vote for it. Oh dear.
At least yours voted, mine didnt even bother to show up. Plus he wont respond to any online forms or emails unlike my other candidates.

Blag on the Intertubes
iwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:51   #5
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nope, mine didn't vote either.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:54   #6
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Very nice article tho 192 seems to be wrong, according to it im in the 25-29 age bracket yet im only 21 =p

I couldn't care if my candidate voted, either way we're under the thumb of the big parties over there anyway so it narrows down how the list of candidates worth voting for. Im voting for a party rather than an individual otherwise I would never vote!! Either way whoever gets in im sure to heckle, Im sure they;; need it just to turn up lazy good for nothing politicians. Bet Sinn fein will get in, they don't take their seats out of protest yet claim expenses F-ing disgrace if you ask me and something that should be stopped!
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:56   #7
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Mine did, he voted for it

Not that fussed with the General Election, I'm more bothered with the Local Elections tbh.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:04   #8
Threefiguremini
Supermodder

Threefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good article. Great to see stuff fighting apathy.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:58   #9
bob
Multimodder

bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The BBC website has tons of info too. Graphs of polls, seat calculator, useful stuff.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:31   #10
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm also in a very safe Tory area (Stratford-upon-Avon) and so feel robbed of my vote - there's no chance it'll actually count for anything, as the wealthy folk of shakespeareland have been voting conservative for the last 30 years without fail.

I'm still voting, of course, even though its pointless in my situation. I'd like to see some changes made to this system; where's the point in making my vote worthless by such an unbalanced representation system if it still doesn't help avoid a hung parliament.

Puh. <Stalks off angrily>.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 12:34   #11
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen
I'm also in a very safe Tory area (Stratford-upon-Avon) and so feel robbed of my vote - there's no chance it'll actually count for anything, as the wealthy folk of shakespeareland have been voting conservative for the last 30 years without fail.

I'm still voting, of course, even though its pointless in my situation. I'd like to see some changes made to this system; where's the point in making my vote worthless by such an unbalanced representation system if it still doesn't help avoid a hung parliament.

Puh. <Stalks off angrily>.
I see your point (like you, I'm in a very safe seat, although it's Labour, not Tory), but the more people whose vote is "wasted" (ie goes to a non winning candidate), then I think the more of an issue electoral reform becomes.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 12:46   #12
devilxc
Biding my time...

devilxc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"In Fylde, one person does not really have one vote, they have the equivalent of 0.047 votes."

Nice blog. Thanks for the links.
devilxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:38   #13
lewchenko
Supermodder

lewchenko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice article.

Sadly I live in one of those areas where your vote counts for nothing... in 2005, 52% of all votes in my area were thrown away thanks to the 1st pass the post takes ALL the seats system.

Really is an utter joke... and they wonder why apathy is so high.
lewchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:54   #14
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
I heard somewhere that labour could have the biggest party and still not have a majority/be in charge. Seems stupid in some ways
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:50   #15
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My local MP didn't vote on the DEB, I guess he was too busy leading the party.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:03   #16
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
I heard somewhere that labour could have the biggest party and still not have a majority/be in charge. Seems stupid in some ways
They can also come 3rd in the number of votes and still get the most parliament seats. Isn't our voting system wonderful

About the DEB thing. Our MP was just brilliant on that. She voted for the bill and then announced she'd not be standing as a candidate for the election just after.
Vote for entertainment industry then run away, nice
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:35   #17
EvilRusk
Multimodder

EvilRusk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wait, there's an election? Can we vote for James Bond now he doesn't have a job?

Our local MP voted NO on the DEB, which is a nice surprise.

The BBC seat calculator is depressing as 30% of the vote and it's a Labour Government but the other main parties need 40% to win. Add in the inevitable postal voting fraud and this is starting to look like Zimbabwe.

Can't even see any independents that look worth bothering with either. Heck I'd vote for Darth Vader.
EvilRusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:48   #18
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whichever party gets elected is able to dig in and make it tougher for the next mob to shift them, Labour have had thirteen years to shift boundaries around so naturally they will be hard to shift. If the Tories win then mysteriously by the time the next election comes we'll probably find all sorts of new rural seats popping up. It's all in the game.

That said the Lib Dems do have a great big bee in their bonnet about electoral reform, and since they look likely to be in a position to decide what's what in a hung parliament maybe things will change.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 16:17   #19
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"Was t'internet wot won it".....
Hustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 18:22   #20
south side sammy
Modder

south side sammy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm an American and probably should not impose my thoughts but, over the past 2 or 3 weeks I was able to get a few half hours on and off listening to these candidates opine on various issues. I can't tell you who to vote for but I will say that Gordon Brown sounds exactly like an American politician.......... make up your own conclusions on that.......
south side sammy is offline   Reply With Quote