bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th May 2010, 10:23   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Black Dwarf 16TB NAS

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/modding...arf-16tb-nas/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:49   #2
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Differing manufacturers? What?

Are you on crack? All of these data drives are WD Caviar Green 2.0TB drives! Even the 320GB drive is a WD Scorpio Blue. Only the SSD is from OCZ.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:56   #3
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
The point is that if all the drives have come from a bad batch of drives, he's bu**ered. Chances are slim, but after all that time and effort...

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:01   #4
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio

Are you on crack? All of these data drives are WD Caviar Green 2.0TB drives! Even the 320GB drive is a WD Scorpio Blue. Only the SSD is from OCZ.
I think what Gareth means is that by using drives from different manufacturers, you again minimise total array failure. Say that batch of WD 2TB greens had a bug - wouldn;t you be happy that half of your array was on entirely unlinked 2TB Seagates, or visa-versa?
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:31   #5
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Well, the chances of them failing at EXACTLY the same time seems far fetched. If one of the drives in my server would fail, I'd just replace it, and rebuild the RAID.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:34   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post

I cannot even begin to comprehend how you read that sentence. That was entirely my point - if there's a bad firmware or manufacturing error that affects the entire batch, the NAS is ruined. Splitting the drives across manufacturers would help prevent such an issue - it's SOP for RAID.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:40   #7
scrimple3D
Minimodder

scrimple3D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about cooling? There doesn't appear to be a lot of space between the drives for air to flow.
scrimple3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:43   #8
halcyondays
What's a Dremel?

halcyondays has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Although I agree it's good practice to select drives from multiple vendors / batches as RAID-5 can only withstand the loss of 1 drive before data loss occurs even having 50% of the drives from the other manufacturer is going to lose all the data. Ideally the 8 drives would be from 8 vendors - now that would be a thing! And seeing as RAID isn't backup - he really needs to build a second one... Great project though.
halcyondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:19   #9
Scootiep
Multimodder

Scootiep has yet to learn the way of the DremelScootiep has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Drive manufacturer argument aside, this is the kind of minimalist design that I LOVE! It's sad that no mainstream manufacturer can get it right. But bravo Will, very sleek, very clean, something I would be proud to stick next to a HTPC in my entertainment center.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:57   #10
DST
What's a Dremel?

DST has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought it was a bad idea to put HDD at any angle other than 0 or 90.
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:40   #11
Iorek
Modder

Iorek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm impressed... very nice build to that.

Out of interest, whats it going to be running? Being a media PC (Windows?) or a file server (Linux?)
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:06   #12
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:

I cannot even begin to comprehend how you read that sentence. That was entirely my point - if there's a bad firmware or manufacturing error that affects the entire batch, the NAS is ruined. Splitting the drives across manufacturers would help prevent such an issue - it's SOP for RAID.
I read "or are you aghast that he hasn't spread his risk by using drives from differing manufacturers - or at least batches - for his array?" as "or are you aghast that he has increased the chances of drive failure by using drives from differing manufacturers - or at least batches - for his array?"

I was quite upset with a school related matter (My hatred of lessons may or may not have any relation with that), and quite a few people on YouTube happened to be commenting "Why is he using different drives?" so my frazzled mind was confused.. Apologies for that!
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:10   #13
darkb
What's a Dremel?

darkb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm.. I think raid5 might be pointless for this though.. I remember reading somewhere that the chance of an error on hdd's is about once in ever 12TB, but if one drive fails and you have an error when rebuilding the array....
darkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:22   #14
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I read "or are you aghast that he hasn't spread his risk by using drives from differing manufacturers - or at least batches - for his array?" as "or are you aghast that he has increased the chances of drive failure by using drives from differing manufacturers - or at least batches - for his array?"
Ah - that'd do it.
Quote:
I was quite upset with a school related matter (My hatred of lessons may or may not have any relation with that), and quite a few people on YouTube happened to be commenting "Why is he using different drives?" so my frazzled mind was confused.. Apologies for that!
Heh! Nay worries - was concerned that I'd been writing even more gibberish than usual, if such a thing is possible.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 17:32   #15
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio

The reason you use drives from different manufacturers and different batches is so that you really reduce your risk of simultaneous failures. While this isn't traditionally an issue, it was REALLY highlighted by the Seagate BSY issue. We had a client who spent quite a bit of money when he built a system to make sure that drive failures wouldn't **** him over, and wham, lookit that.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 18:43   #16
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkb
hmm.. I think raid5 might be pointless for this though.. I remember reading somewhere that the chance of an error on hdd's is about once in ever 12TB, but if one drive fails and you have an error when rebuilding the array....
Well, the sample URE (see the detailed drive specs) in that semi-famous ZDNet article was given as 10^14, meaning that for every 12TB of data, statistically you would have at least one Unrecoverable Read Error. The theory being that if you lose a disk and try to rebuild the array, you're certain to hit an error during the rebuild.

For URE's of 10^15 (quite possible with Enterprise-grade disks) the chances are lessened, significantly. Well, as long as the manufacturers are correct.... RAID-6 doesn't make it much better.

My personal preference would be to keep two smaller arrays and concatenate them (not stripe, i.e. RAID 50) so that one disk failure has more chance of rebuilding, two disk failures in either array is passable and if two fail in one array (very unlucky) then at least you haven't lost all of your data. Just the end of the file system, but that's still more recoverable than striped data.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:36   #17
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
That looks pretty awesome

How did he manage 266MB/sec read on GigE though? Surely it's limited to 125MB/sec?
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:52   #18
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimple3D
What about cooling? There doesn't appear to be a lot of space between the drives for air to flow.
I was thinking the same thing, at least have a quarter of an inch for some airflow. That would worry me.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:59   #19
Iorek
Modder

Iorek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
That looks pretty awesome

How did he manage 266MB/sec read on GigE though? Surely it's limited to 125MB/sec?
I would assume thats raw drive read rather than over network throughput
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:46   #20
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post
I would assume thats raw drive read rather than over network throughput
But that's rubbish for 12 drives! Three Samsung F1s in RAID0 would be faster!
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote