1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 13 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Wow, that was quite a big shock! However it's nice to see my UD3R giving something like the R3E a good pasting! :D

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

what are those removable chips in the 3rd pic on page 2? look like op-amps. Don't think they can be BIOS chips as they only have 8 pins each!

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Not really seeing the value for money with this board :)

5. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

It's important to remember, this board is aimed at "Extreme Overclockers". There's a reason that this board features in a lot of the current overclocking world records and that's because it's performance isn't truly at it's peak under air cooling.

6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

You mean the guys who tweak multipliers while snowboarding and spraying Lynx deodorant on themselves?

Ahh, those guys.

7. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I was about to say that even though I find this board highly desirable, I'm not it's target audience no matter how much I like to think of myself of as an extreme OC'er. I just wouldn't be able to do this board justice.

I am pleased to see that ASUS and ATi have managed to take back the extreme performance crown in Vantage on Orb!

:D

Will ASUS be working on a dual socket board in the not so distant future or is this R3E the king of the hill?

8. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Any idea if there will be a rampage iii formula and gene?

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

BIOS chips.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I was really hoping I could get this board, and what with you reviewing it on my birthday I was like, IT'S FATE! I WILL HAVE THAT BOARD!

But it's a little out of my price range. I'll just have to put up with my shockingly bad gigash*te x58-UD5 :(

11. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Pretty hard to justify what with a UD3R doing much the same for half the price. Still, looks sexy.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The first good red themed board... and bit-tech, shame on you, why no watercooling goodness?

13. rollo

rollo Modder

If you tested this on water cooled setup for CPU and graphics you would understand why it's used in all performance records. Make no mistake at £330 it's not a board for your 930s to go into

980s and duel or tri 5870s all under water cooling Is the target area

can we get a water cooling loop setup on this and ud3r with same water cooling

and then see what goes the highest. Stick 980 chip in both and see how far you get

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

What a disappointing motherboard for that price.

I like this bit: "The SATA ports are reasonably rapid, tooo although" should be "rapid too, although" :)

15. IXON

IXON What's a Dremel?

Never been a fan of expensive mobo's, i can overclock my i7 920 to 4.2Ghz easily using just the Gigabyte UD3R, but run it 24/7 at 3.8Ghz under stock volts, as to me this is more than enough for my daily use.

I see alot of people that buy these kind of mobo's just for the sake of e-penis status, without actually ever using or needing the full array of feature's.

If a Gigabyte UD3R both SATA II & SATA III version clock to 4Ghz for £152, why spend £329 just to clock to the same 4Ghz. as alot of people have been doing, just a waiste of money in my book.

16. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

It's been stated though IXON that this board is targeted at the extreme (LN2) overclockers and not the average enthusiast. So, for that audience, it isn't a waste of money but a very worthy investment. I do agree with you however, if bought one with the idea of using it for extreme OC'ing but not actually doing so, then I would have wasted a lot of money.

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Can't it also run for longer at higher overclocks too though?

18. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

At least, out-of-the-box seems like a Flop. I know that every RoG motherboards gets it's full cover waterblock so when some are out, could you make a review with it since most of the buyers will get this sucker on water?

19. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Once again.....................[​IMG]

20. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

As I mentioned above, you can't really do the Rampage III Extreme justice on air and I agree with James in this review, it's tough to justify the price if you're just going for a 4 Ghz overclock on a 930...

However, if you are in the niche where you want to smash world records and prove to your friends that you really do having the biggest e-peen, it's the board for you.

Also as a shameless plug, I'll be giving one away if ASUS UK's Facebook page reaches 1000 fans. Check it out here; www.facebook.com/asusuk

Tags: Add Tags