bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th May 2010, 08:16   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Review

We take a look at Asus’ third attempt at an extreme overclocking Core i7 motherboard.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...treme-review/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 09:09   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow, that was quite a big shock! However it's nice to see my UD3R giving something like the R3E a good pasting!
Old 13th May 2010, 09:16   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
what are those removable chips in the 3rd pic on page 2? look like op-amps. Don't think they can be BIOS chips as they only have 8 pins each!
Old 13th May 2010, 09:25   #4
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
Not really seeing the value for money with this board
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 09:50   #5
-VK-
Lurker

-VK- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's important to remember, this board is aimed at "Extreme Overclockers". There's a reason that this board features in a lot of the current overclocking world records and that's because it's performance isn't truly at it's peak under air cooling.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:56   #6
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by -VK- View Post
It's important to remember, this board is aimed at "Extreme Overclockers".
You mean the guys who tweak multipliers while snowboarding and spraying Lynx deodorant on themselves?

Ahh, those guys.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:58   #7
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was about to say that even though I find this board highly desirable, I'm not it's target audience no matter how much I like to think of myself of as an extreme OC'er. I just wouldn't be able to do this board justice.

I am pleased to see that ASUS and ATi have managed to take back the extreme performance crown in Vantage on Orb!

Will ASUS be working on a dual socket board in the not so distant future or is this R3E the king of the hill?
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:01   #8
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Any idea if there will be a rampage iii formula and gene?
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:50   #9
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
what are those removable chips in the 3rd pic on page 2? look like op-amps. Don't think they can be BIOS chips as they only have 8 pins each!
BIOS chips.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:08   #10
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I was really hoping I could get this board, and what with you reviewing it on my birthday I was like, IT'S FATE! I WILL HAVE THAT BOARD!

But it's a little out of my price range. I'll just have to put up with my shockingly bad gigash*te x58-UD5
Old 13th May 2010, 11:27   #11
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
Pretty hard to justify what with a UD3R doing much the same for half the price. Still, looks sexy.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 14:36   #12
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
The first good red themed board... and bit-tech, shame on you, why no watercooling goodness?
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 14:38   #13
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
If you tested this on water cooled setup for CPU and graphics you would understand why it's used in all performance records. Make no mistake at £330 it's not a board for your 930s to go into

980s and duel or tri 5870s all under water cooling Is the target area

can we get a water cooling loop setup on this and ud3r with same water cooling

and then see what goes the highest. Stick 980 chip in both and see how far you get
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 15:15   #14
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What a disappointing motherboard for that price.

I like this bit: "The SATA ports are reasonably rapid, tooo although" should be "rapid too, although"
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 15:25   #15
IXON
Minimodder

IXON has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never been a fan of expensive mobo's, i can overclock my i7 920 to 4.2Ghz easily using just the Gigabyte UD3R, but run it 24/7 at 3.8Ghz under stock volts, as to me this is more than enough for my daily use.

I see alot of people that buy these kind of mobo's just for the sake of e-penis status, without actually ever using or needing the full array of feature's.

If a Gigabyte UD3R both SATA II & SATA III version clock to 4Ghz for £152, why spend £329 just to clock to the same 4Ghz. as alot of people have been doing, just a waiste of money in my book.
IXON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 15:57   #16
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's been stated though IXON that this board is targeted at the extreme (LN2) overclockers and not the average enthusiast. So, for that audience, it isn't a waste of money but a very worthy investment. I do agree with you however, if bought one with the idea of using it for extreme OC'ing but not actually doing so, then I would have wasted a lot of money.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.

Last edited by Jack_Pepsi; 13th May 2010 at 16:08.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:32   #17
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
Can't it also run for longer at higher overclocks too though?
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:56   #18
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At least, out-of-the-box seems like a Flop. I know that every RoG motherboards gets it's full cover waterblock so when some are out, could you make a review with it since most of the buyers will get this sucker on water?
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:58   #19
M7ck
Ⓜod Ⓜaster

M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.M7ck is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Once again.....................
Old 13th May 2010, 16:59   #20
-VK-
Lurker

-VK- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As I mentioned above, you can't really do the Rampage III Extreme justice on air and I agree with James in this review, it's tough to justify the price if you're just going for a 4 Ghz overclock on a 930...

However, if you are in the niche where you want to smash world records and prove to your friends that you really do having the biggest e-peen, it's the board for you.

Also as a shameless plug, I'll be giving one away if ASUS UK's Facebook page reaches 1000 fans. Check it out here; www.facebook.com/asusuk