bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th May 2010, 11:17   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
BT is exclusive Onlive supplier in UK

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...pplier-in-uk/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:30   #2
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
The pricing model is still going to be a sticking point imo, service subscription, game rental, and BB is just too many things to pay for.

On the plus side with BT having a stake in the company does that mean they might start pulling their fingers out and give decent BB speeds to everybody!!
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:30   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have doubts over how this is going to work with the antiquated broadband infrastructure in the UK. I guess we'll see.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:42   #4
pimlicosound
Multimodder

pimlicosound has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This might have worked well on Virgin's cable service, which tends to deliver consistently high speeds, but on BT? Let's just say I'm not thrilled about being an early adopter.
pimlicosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:42   #5
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Well OnLive will be able to thank BT for the commercial failure in the UK.

Not a hope in hell that BT's connections will be upto the job.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:47   #6
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Well OnLive will be able to thank BT for the commercial failure in the UK.

Not a hope in hell that BT's connections will be upto the job.
Bt will limit all players and class them as high usage users lol

Fair usage policy's are criminal.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:49   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Wait - does that mean you have a to have a BT broadband account to get Onlive then? Not "if I buy Onlive it'll be through BTs servers and I just pay BT?"

Fail in 3.. 2.. 1..
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:57   #8
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Well that's that up sh!t creek then!
Old 13th May 2010, 12:00   #9
flaming_goat
Modder

flaming_goat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i thought a major feature of onlive was that it used all broadband suppliers to find the fastest route in order to reduce lag.
flaming_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:10   #10
K.I.T.T.
Hasselhoff™ Inside

K.I.T.T. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BT can dress up their connections as much as they like but a company that watches, throttles and filters their connections as much as they do I'm staying as far as is possible away from.

...Not that i was ever going to go with OnLive to be perfectly honest.
Q6600 (G0) @ 3.40Ghz | 8GB G.Skill (5-5-5-15 2T) @ 533Mhz | Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 | DFI Lanparty UT X48-T2R | Galaxy DXX 1000W | 640GB WD Caviar Blue| 1TB Samsung F1 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | 250GB Deskstar
K.I.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:15   #11
blood69
Minimodder

blood69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am going be an old guy when onLive hits Portugal, they have that agreement with the ISPs to interchange TCP/IP information between gateways to acheeve a constant fast connection with their servers. I think they will have a hard time trying an agreement here.
blood69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:22   #12
alick
Minimodder

alick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
do u get eney thing for ur $15 subscription shorly u must get heeps of small indi games and stuff uther wise it be like paying 15$ a muth for steam or for sky but having to pay extr for evry thing not just new moves
alick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:23   #13
Fizzl
Multimodder

Fizzl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From the price point of few.. lets say you spend £500 more on a gaming PC rather than a PC good enough for onlive. £500/£15 = about 33 months. Can you honestly say your gaming hardware is going to last that long?

How this pans out will depend on game pricing, integrity and availability of the service.
Can you access your steam games via it?
How well will it stand up to 4 players on a home network? 12 players? an i-series? :P
And with BT in mind, will it get effected by the network management policies that kick in at about 17:00 to 01:00?
Fizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:28   #14
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You'll be able to play poker and backgammon but I can't imagine we'll see a demanding game for many years. Also none of the main ISPs would be too happy with peak-time gaming with OnLive ...
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:41   #15
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzl
From the price point of few.. lets say you spend £500 more on a gaming PC rather than a PC good enough for onlive. £500/£15 = about 33 months. Can you honestly say your gaming hardware is going to last that long?
I thought the idea of OnLive was that the games would run on just about any PC, including netbooks and the like. All it needs to be able to do (in theory) is connect to a high speed internet.

And yeah, BT = FAIL
Old 13th May 2010, 13:04   #16
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzl View Post
Your forgetting that you have to 'rent' the games aswell.

Im not 100% sure how the games will be kept but even if they charge £1 per game per month
and you play 5-10 different games in a month you'd be adding £5-£10 to your monthly bill.

I can see it costing almost what sky costs per month tbh, not only that but at least after 33 months you'd have a computer thats still useful, Will onlive last nearly 3 years? i doubt it.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:15   #17
Paddy
Modder

Paddy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does anyone know how the US Beta is progressing? Is the system proving to be feasible for the majority or only those sitting next to their exchange?

I think the idea is promising, but as mentioned earlier the subscription, game cost & poor uk internet infrastructure will make it make it difficult to succeed. But I'm watching this space to see how it does progress.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:15   #18
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
I can see BT charging a fortune for this then lowering the speed and usage of anyone on lower packets. Thees no way the UK can handle the traffic either if this takes off.As much as I want this to work and love the inovation in their data transmission, they're still up against it. The biggest problem is gonna be cost and it looks like cloud gaming could flop at that hurdle even if they clear the crappy broadband speeds here.

They set up beta testing in a small area of America a few months ago, anyone know how that went?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:56   #19
msm722
Multimodder

msm722 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh dear god ...

Say hello to worst customer service in existence.
msm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 14:32   #20
Fizzl
Multimodder

Fizzl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm also what about MMO's?

I'm sure there is a market for people who can only take a netbook on holiday and don't want to miss there WoW fix. :P
Fizzl is offline   Reply With Quote