bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th May 2010, 10:21   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Intel confirms: no discrete graphics plans

Intel has confirmed that it has "no plans" to enter the discrete graphics market.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...aphics-plans/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 10:29   #2
iwod
Multimodder

iwod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In a Perfect World, the GPU should only be using few W when i am browsing and idle. And scale up to 100+W when i am gaming. But of coz, we know unless there is some major transistor tech breakthrough, this is not going to happen in the next 5 + years.

So back to an ideal world, The IGP should be VERY low power, with superior 2D Rendering performance, Programmable DSP that allows Many if not all of the FFmpeg codec gets hardware acceleration. 3D Performance that is focused on UI, Effect workload, Browser canvas and other Vector acceleration. With final consideration for anything gaming related.

As it currently stand, the IGP size is fairly large that provide performance we dont need 90% of the time. And when we do need performance it is not capable anyway. So why waste transistors on it? Intel could give us a Extra Core or L2 cache was CPU performance.

I see Optimus as the future. At least in near term.

And final Notes. The worst thing about Intel HD is not the Hardware itself. Is the fact Drivers for Intel HD is poor, slow to update, and the main causes for poor gaming performance. Nvidia has more Software Enginerr then Hardware for their Drivers. It just shows GPU and CPU are completely different beast.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 11:42   #3
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel doesn't want to give you anything.

They want you to buy.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 14:59   #4
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they did make a few last year though (albeit slow). The ones they did manage to make will surely be super collectors items now.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 19:29   #5
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im 50/50 about this, I think more comp would always be good but I dont know I think if Intel did do this nVidia be more on the losing side of the game then AMD, since AMD has their CPU and ATI for GPU, Intel would have well their CPU and then their GPU so nVidia could be left out in the cold unless they follow through with making their own CPU. Could be interesting then.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 08:40   #6
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would have been awesome for the competition. Just having two companies making all the graphics cards isn't all that great for prices. While we're all waiting for price wars between the big two they're still laughing all the way to the bank. A little extra competition could drive innovation as well.
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote