bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th May 2010, 12:37   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
BBC launches new iPlayer beta

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...iplayer-beta/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:05   #2
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not really interested in any kind of social networking crap they're attaching to it but so long as it still works fine on PS3 I will be happy
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:05   #3
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was going to rant about SN, but then I noticed I could share this news story, facebook like it or retweet it, it's not cool anymore when it fracking everywhere ;(
Old 27th May 2010, 13:06   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Do you NEED to register to watch? or just for the social-networking part?
(not that I could watch it here...unless someone knows a fast enough UK Proxy)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:08   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Do you NEED to register to watch? or just for the social-networking part?
Just the social networking aspects (plus things like the customised homepage and favourites lists) - normal viewing won't require a login.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:21   #6
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I hate social networking and I hate how iPlayer closed their API.That was the only thing of interest to me - pulling the video streams into another program but you can't do that any more.

You're dead to me, iPlayer!

I should also not that I think sticking i- in front of a name is dumb. just like in the 90's when it was e- everything.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:27   #7
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/02/25/xbmc-and-the-bbc/

I dont like it [/little britain]
Old 27th May 2010, 13:39   #8
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I don't want to chat while I watch iplayer! might be interesting to see what people watch though...
Old 27th May 2010, 13:44   #9
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Is there a higher quality stream than 368kbps? No matter what I do that is the maximum I get, which gives a highly compressed picture.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:05   #10
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Loving it personally. Don't mind a bit of social integration and the new look is great! It's one thing I'm pleased with in regards to the TV license I pay. THe other channels players fail in comparison (Although, when Channel 4 and 5 started releasing there programs onto Youtube, that was good!).
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:11   #11
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
@yakyb - Content providers pressured the Beeb into doing this. You remember them, right? The people who still bother to encrypt DVDs with an algorithm that's less protective than the paper bag the DVD came in?

@NuTech - What are you watching that on? Sounds like you're getting the iPhone stream.
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:24   #12
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyMahoney View Post
@yakyb - Content providers pressured the Beeb into doing this. You remember them, right? The people who still bother to encrypt DVDs with an algorithm that's less protective than the paper bag the DVD came in?

@NuTech - What are you watching that on? Sounds like you're getting the iPhone stream.
Windows 7 Desktop PC with a 50mb net connection. Tried using Firefox, Chrome and IE. All receives the same poor quality stream.

Old 27th May 2010, 14:26   #13
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming SaiyanGravitySmacked is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Why does everything have to have social networking intergrated?

GravitySmacked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:49   #14
bob
Multimodder

bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm so I'm not the only one who dislikes social networking integrated into everything. Supposedly in Starcraft 2 you have to use Facebook to add friends in game!
Old 27th May 2010, 14:52   #15
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ugh. I dislike when companies and softwares add 'social networking' (or 'Web 2.0') just for the heck of it.

Just seems a bit pointless sometimes.

At least we hopefully won't need to register to view videos.
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:47   #16
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Change for the sake of it when it already works well enough as it is, if people like to use the SN stuff then fair play to them, but I'll stick to TV and Radio as designed.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:59   #17
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hmm so I'm not the only one who dislikes social networking integrated into everything. Supposedly in Starcraft 2 you have to use Facebook to add friends in game!
I doubt that's true. How big is FB in Korea?

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:11   #18
Tanacel
Minimodder

Tanacel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does it integrate seamlessly into windows 7 media center? No? Back to the development room Mr BBC...
Tanacel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:17   #19
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Move away from flash please Mr BBC so it runs on my netbook and iphone
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 17:30   #20
NuTech
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69 View Post
Move away from flash please Mr BBC so it runs on my netbook and iphone
Nothing they can really do at the moment, outside of creating a dedicated iPhone app (which might violate their program licensing agreements).

And IIRC HTML5 video doesn't yet support any type of DRM or stream protection, so that's out of the question.

Am I forgetting any other technologies?