1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce GTX 465 already available to buy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 31 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

looks like another card full of fail from nvidia.

if this thing beats a HD5830 id be shocked, considering how overpriced that card is.

3. mycopia

mycopia What's a Dremel?

nice to see you guys on the ball so late !

+1 :)

4. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

If they plan on making a GTX490 with two of these, it might be a pretty powerful little GPU if clocked right and has like 2.5GBs of ram.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Looks like a GTX 270, oh wait it is :hehe:

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

If this one is as successful as the rest of the series it will manage just fine,

To make the AIT cards look like a great bargain that is.

7. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Fail... Already saw 2 reviews and that thing is way expensive, sometimes a GTX275 is faster than it, and the HD5850 obliterates her (i'm watching for price, not the intended place in the market against the HD5830).

Again another expensive card, way out of reality, better open your eyes nVidia...

Oh, saw a third review, but I don't take it seriously when they ALWAYS talk good of a green card... I think they are optimistic...

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll wait until BT reviews this.

But at that price, it's bound to lose, if it was say, priced lower @ about $229, or even dare I say $209, then this card might have done qutie a bit damage.

Although Overclocking it, may perhaps make it a better value card.

Still, I can't see why they decided to price it so close to the HD5850, drop it down $20-$40 and then perhaps get start shipping it out with a BIOS with higher clocks, and you'll have a more impressive card.

9. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

SNAP! :)

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

saw Hexus review, it's okay. a bit cheaper than 5850, and performance is about right in 3 of the Dx11 titles.

it's like the 470, performance+feature for price is pretty good, considering you won't need to buy a second nVidia card for PhysX and CUDA

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends if you value physics and cuda, the advantage of all the ati cards is they will all run on a 500 watt psu (5970 excluded oc ) all the nvidia cards are in the 600 watt area and to most that's a new psu

Not to mension heat and performance issues

4870 in crossfire still blows away most avail cards and costs half of what they are

4890 still out performs 5830 and 465 and is at best 5 fps behind the 5850

Bit techs own review showed this

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

On it's own, the 465 sucks, no doubt about that. But:

The cards seems to have massive overclocking potential (we're talking somewhere in the region of a 25% perfomance increase :eeek: ) and performs well in SLI. Having said that, it costs the same as a 5850, which is a bit silly. Put the cost down to £200 and you have a serious contender.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

It's placed to high in the price range if it wants to compete with the 5850. But hell where else do you get CUDA if you need that for Video editing or audio plugs, to be honest ATI just totally sucks in that department. So all you have is a expensive ATI game-card.

14. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

That is because the current crop of programs cater to CUDA as that was the only standard at the time they were written. Once they start to code them for Direct Compute so both sets of cards can use it, then that particular advantage will be lost by Nvidia.

I'm not saying that the ATI cards will be better than the Nvid ones, or that the Nvid ones will still be better than the ATI cards. All I am saying is that Nvids current strangle hold with CUDA is not going to last.

And the extra wedge of cash for Physx is not worth it to me, it brings minimal advantages to a game compared to one that does not use it, and CUDA is wasted silicone as far as I am concerned as I have no interest in folding.

15. Cepheus

Cepheus What's a Dremel?

Ugh. Speed of 5830 and price of 5850.

Another nVidia card that's not worth buying.

16. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

FYI apparently the catalyst 10.5 update makes a massive improvement to crossfire performance - so saying 2 GTX265s will own in SLI is irrelevant when 2 HD5830s will perform the same for less money,

17. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

And Nvidia sucks in the multimedia department (no support for DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD bitstreams) so....

18. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Heard people are flashing the GTX 465's with 470 BIOS's in order to unlock the additional cores as they use exactly the same PCB.

Might tempt a few people to give it a go similar to unlocking cores on AMD CPU's but it's a lot of money to spend for just an off chance that your extra cores aren't damaged. I'd personally still go with a 5850 if I had the choice.

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

oh wow, some 470 probably abit pissed right now... bad nvidia.

that being said, being a loyal fanboi as i am, this might b a solution for a Dx11 card that is slightly more affordable for me...

and to one of the post above... speed of 5830? seriously?

ps: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-465-sli-review/
    not too shabby....
    pps: yes, theyr flashing the bios up in guru3d... but in all honesty, u can spend ~20$ more and get a guaranteed 470. so why bother really.

redbeaver's summary: this product will fly if its between $200-$230. i reckon by around xmas time.

Last edited: 31 May 2010
  20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I was not bashing ATI. I am not a fan boy, I buy the stuff that do the job for me for a good price with as much options as logically possible. The Nvidia is overpriced but has cuda, which I need for rendering. The Ati is cheap, faster, less power hungry (not to mention less heat) but lacks support for rendering in the software I use and the lack of that must be compensated with more processor power. Both are expensive that way.

If I would only play games, my choice would be a Ati 5870 anyway. I sincerely hope software vendors are converting CUDA to a more general support (read OpenCL) for GPU calculations. If it was available right now. Nobody would have even touched Nvidia cards, which ofcourse forces extreme price drops of Nvidia 400 series to compete. Ati has a incredible position, I just wished they pushed GPU calculations more to software more to make it really dominate Nvidia.

I do not care much about DTS-HD/trueHD support, not seen a game with trueHD or DTS-HD. And most motherboards have digital out although not DTS-HD/trueHD. For media playback I use a HTCP (with ati card btw) or a xtreamer/playon etc.

Tags: Add Tags