bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Jun 2010, 17:14   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Samsung demos USB-powered display

Samsung has previewed a neat new product at the SID 2010 conference: an 18.5" LCD monitor capable of running entirely from USB - no mains adapter required.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ered-display/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 17:19   #2
Tom @ CCL
AKA: Yewen

Tom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the DremelTom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All comes down to price, if they are priced keenly I could see myself running a three monitor setup from a powered USB hub.
Tom @ CCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 17:34   #3
Mongoose132
Smiles are free-Use 'em :D

Mongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run Crysis
*Doesn't see advantage of one less cable*
Old 1st Jun 2010, 17:34   #4
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will their normal monitors be this energy efficient?
They could be good in a corporate environment, if the power saving can justify the cost.
Old 1st Jun 2010, 17:53   #5
eldiablo
Multimodder

eldiablo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It says usb powered, but does the video go over the usb cable as well or did they hide the vga/dvi cable in the picture?
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:03   #6
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
I hardly dare ask how much the twin USB cable will cost...
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:13   #7
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
This is no use if you have a powerful graphics card
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:14   #8
cool_dude
Officially a decade on BitTech!

cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.cool_dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
It says usb powered, but does the video go over the usb cable as well or did they hide the vga/dvi cable in the picture?
just usb powered , requires vga/dvi i would assume
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:16   #9
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I bet it's not 120hz....

| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:17   #10
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The only application I see here is for HTPC (if it's a touch screen) or low powered workstations (Word, Internet Explorer)
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:43   #11
Darkefire
Multimodder

Darkefire has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome, I'd happily run a third monitor to place Word documents or other similarly mundane things; no matter how much this costs, it's gotta be cheaper than buying a similar sized model and a TripleHead2Go, or buying a second graphics card. At least that's assuming USB is the only connection, I wish the linked article had a higher resolution picture so I could read the little features sign next to the monitor.
Darkefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 18:47   #12
Tom @ CCL
AKA: Yewen

Tom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the DremelTom @ CCL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung have got a series of USB driven monitors out at the moment, so I assume these will be USB powered and USB driven.

Would be a dissapointment if they were not.
Tom @ CCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 19:59   #13
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
Well, over here it's written as the data goes over USB too.

Quote:
the panel needs just 6.3W of power, which it draws from two USB 2.0 ports. It also draws display connection from one of the two USB ports.
So i'd guess it'd struggle with any sort of video/gaming (if it can handle it at all without turning into a slideshow)
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 22:17   #14
DBA
I do my modding with a spoon

DBA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsharn
I hardly dare ask how much the twin USB cable will cost...
I don't know about that. There was a Twin USB cable bundled with my cheap ars HDD case when I bought that. so I couldn't image it would cost much more than a standard USB cable.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 22:24   #15
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm guessing this is USB 3.0 exclusive, then.

6.3W/5V=1.26A

USB 2.0 would require three cables to meet the spec.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 22:39   #16
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
I'm guessing this is USB 3.0 exclusive, then.

6.3W/5V=1.26A

USB 2.0 would require three cables to meet the spec.
Does power supply change with usb3 or only data rates?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2010, 22:41   #17
tank_rider
Ultramodder

tank_rider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More energy efficiency is always welcome. Especially as this will negate another power converter and use the relatively efficient pc power supply rather than a power brick.
Main - e5200 @ 3.5GHz (akasa 965) || GA-EP31-DS3L || 2X2GB Crucial Ballistix || xfx GTX 260 || 500GB Seagate 7200.10 sata + 250GB Samsung sata + 160GB Samsung ide || NEC DVDRW || Enermax Liberty 400W || Antec P180 || 22" Fujitsu Siemems TFT
Media - X2 4400 @ 2.4GHz || Epox 9NDA3+ || 2GB RAM || 6800gs || 80GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 || LG DVD RAM || Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454
tank_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 01:55   #18
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Needs to be single USB. Can they do roughly half the screen with a single cable?
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 03:00   #19
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This could open up for some nice mod possibilities in the future...
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 03:10   #20
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
OMG FAIL FAIL FAIL.
This should have been USB3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean would not USB3 be much better for this with higher data rate and higher power!!??!!
It would also be one of the first inventive uses that woul push USB3 out quicker.
God I do hope Samsung see this and comes out with a USB3 version.
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote