bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 21st Jan 2014, 19:57   #1
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Metaversa 02: Ada Update 10.05.2015

After aeons of dreaming, pondering, exploring, and lots of SketchUp (lots and lots of SketchUp), the time has finally come. When one must let go of the old. When one must ride the push of technological progress. When advances in computing and modding alike urge you from the primordial slime of decade-old hardware onto the beckoning shores of cutting edge technology, to arise on two legs, grasp a Dremel and be a MODDER once more. This is that time.

It also helps when you've been able to save up some money.

Anyhow, most people will know that I have been playing with designs for some time from this here thread. My inspiration comes from Confederate Motorcycles to antique microscopes, to Babbage's Difference Engine to anything that is Victorian scientific engineering (because I like the look of Steampunk, see?).

I drew a lot of designs. Lots and lots of designs. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I have no need for a tripple SLI rig, but I did want something compact, elegant, liquid cooled and quiet. Luckily over the recent years computer components have shrunk a lot, allowing me a lot more flexibility in design.

So introducing:

Liquid cooled, built around the tiny but uncompromising Asus VI Impact motherboard, aluminium and black walnut, with Arduino-driven nixie tube flow/temperature indicator.

Why Ada?

Daughter of "mad, bad and dangerous to know" poet Lord Byron (yes, indeed!) and his first wife Anne Isabella Noel Byron, she is the inventor of the computer, basically. Yes, yes, it was Babbage who invented the Difference Engine and the Analytical Engine (and if you're ever near the London Science museum, you must see the original prototype part of the Difference Engine made by the man himself and also the completed reproduction from the 1990's: the first Difference Engine ever completed. I mean, omygodomygodomygod! It is Mecca for computer geeks. Do the pilgrimage).

But Babbage (genius as he was) never saw beyond his vision his creation of a powerful mechanical programmable calculator. It was Ada Lovelace who understood that numbers could be used to represent more than just quantities, and a machine that could manipulate numbers could be made to manipulate any data represented by numbers. She predicted that machines like the Analytical Engine could be used to compose music, produce graphics, and be useful to science:

Quote:
“[The Analytical Engine] might act upon other things besides number, were objects found whose mutual fundamental relations could be expressed by those of the abstract science of operations, and which should be also susceptible of adaptations to the action of the operating notation and mechanism of the engine. Supposing, for instance, that the fundamental relations of pitched sounds in the science of harmony and of musical composition were susceptible of such expression and adaptations, the engine might compose elaborate and scientific pieces of music of any degree of complexity or extent... It may be desirable to explain, that by the word operation, we mean any process which alters the mutual relation of two or more things, be this relation of what kind it may. This is the most general definition, and would include all subjects in the universe.”
Of course, all that came true --in another 100 years.

Isn't it appropriate that a compact and elegant design, an homage to Victorian craftsmanship, science and computing technology should bear her name? So this one, your ladyship, is for you.

Back to the project...

Since I built my first project, things have moved on in the world of modding. Moved way on. Watercooling components now come off the shelf (the computer store shelf, that is, rather than the aquarium and laboratory supplies store shelf). Modding is now a sophisticated art form. Back in the days of Metaversa 01, what I produced was fairly well-regarded, but having seen many project on this forum over the last years, I realise that most of it far, far outshines anything I ever did. I have had to up my game...

Although I can draw a good part in SketchUp (and am learning the dark arts of CAD packages), I have always relied on skilled CNC people to turn out parts as per my design that I couldn't. Metaversa 01's waterblocks were a home-grown CNC design by Paul Vodrazka, with our own forum member Enak producing new mountings adapted for the ideosyncracies of the MSI K8T MAster-2-Far motherboard. This time, I've gone a bit larger... The CNC frame of this project would not have been possible without the skilled, and very reasonably priced assistance of skyrip (on these forums. PM him if you need something milling). As such, he deserves a sizeable chunk of the credit for what you will see here.

But anyway, the obligatory pics of work in progress!

Le aluminium: 12mm thickness:

Le milling:

Le parts:

Le parts, deux:

And the whole lot together:

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; 10th May 2015 at 20:07.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 20:02   #2
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
...And le test fit (parts still need cleaning up):

Must sort out picture quality... But you get the idea.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; 25th Jan 2014 at 12:37.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 20:19   #3
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Subbed, and jeez, dat alu pr0n!
Old 21st Jan 2014, 20:34   #4
longyny
Multimodder

longyny has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very good looking and promising mod.

Top and bottom parts look like a space ship
longyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 20:43   #5
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking really good, I caught a snippet of this on the EK Ideas website ... I think it's a great looking design

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 21:16   #6
lowfat
Multimodder

lowfat has yet to learn the way of the Dremellowfat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
VERY impressive!
lowfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 21:20   #7
Egami
Why is the dremel on fire?

Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.
Subbed for modding magic.
Old 21st Jan 2014, 22:00   #8
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 22:11   #9
Hukkel
James' minion

Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hukkel is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looking great! Those alu pieces you just fabricated. Awesome. I love the design of the structure.
Hukkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 22:21   #10
skyrip
Multimodder

skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.skyrip is definitely a rep cheat.
it looks even better all mounted, definally subbed to see where this will end!

it will be a small case weighing a lot :P high density.

milling it was a delight, always nice to help a great modder with a great vision
if you need something cnc made drop me a pm

Last edited by skyrip; 5th Feb 2014 at 21:42.
skyrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 22:34   #11
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrip View Post
milling it was a delight, always nice to help a great modder with a great vision
Wait? How do you know he has great vision? Maybe he's just too vain to wear glasses!

And yeah, subbed.
Old 21st Jan 2014, 22:58   #12
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If you build it, they will cum....
i5 3570K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, EVGA GTX 970 Cheesecake@1492/7700, 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10, Enermax Revolution 1050W, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB , Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res, 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus, Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light, Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP GTX760 Full Cover Copper Block, Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30, 5x
Xigmatec CLF 120mm LED Fans
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 02:26   #13
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.jrs77 is definitely a rep cheat.
Finally there's a worklog being started for this thingamabob.

Can't wait to see the walnut-panels

Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 10:01   #14
thegyufi
Multimodder

thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thegyufi - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Just awsome my friend
thegyufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 10:34   #15
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow! That's just plain sexy
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 11:05   #16
Zsolt Guriga
Multimodder

Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Man this is a piece of Art
Zsolt Guriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 12:14   #17
LegendaryScott
Trying to live up to the name

LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
PROJECT#001 - ON EXTENDED HIATUS DUE TO NEW BABY!!
LegendaryScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 13:54   #18
Falqoon
Multimodder

Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Falqoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Awesome milled panels!
Old 25th Jan 2014, 20:14   #19
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Our Lady of Numbers is looking most svelte.
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2014, 00:23   #20
KayinBlack
Terminal is a state of mind

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks good, but I want to see that walnut, and how you're going to finish it.

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode