bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Jun 2010, 07:19   #301
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm trying to figure out what exactly to comment, but it escapes me at the moment. I'll just keep watching and maybe it will come to me.
Old 25th Jun 2010, 15:19   #302
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModaRobby View Post
I think I speak for everyone when I say that if we were reading this log in a room full of gay men, they would all swarm us because of how wide our mouth's opened when our jaws dropped.

I agree with you on sanding the CF down and adding another layer of it to make those 45 degree angles more defined instead of rounded.

I can't visualize how this will turn out but your dedication and perfectionism is a force to be reckoned with. *cracks beer open* I sit here and await for the next update.

+rep and 5 stars
Lol, I can honestly say that's the last analogy I expected to hear in this thread. Well played Rob.

Yes, I'm much happier with the angles now. It took quite a bit of sanding to get them down, but it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigts View Post
I'm trying to figure out what exactly to comment, but it escapes me at the moment. I'll just keep watching and maybe it will come to me.
Thanks man! I'm hoping for another update by tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 15:44   #303
Pieze
What's a Dremel?

Pieze has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow your setting a new standard. Lol damn you!

now instead of 2 categories being Mod and Scratch. There gonna have to come up with another one. I vote the over achiever.

good work man congratz on the body coming out so well.
Pieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 15:47   #304
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it tomorrow yet?
Old 25th Jun 2010, 16:23   #305
disturbed13
Hypermodder

disturbed13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?

this tomorrow stuff is killing me

is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
The modder in me says whack a hole, fool!
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 16:31   #306
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?

is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 16:35   #307
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
On the page you linked, there are only rigid sheets listed. So I'll base my response on the products listed there

<...blah, blah, blah...a bunch of carbon fibre stuff that sounds fascinating and way more than I knew before....blah, blah, blah...>

Truthfully, it's likely overkill for anyone building a computer mod.

Is that helpful?
Craig, you are the wrong person to call anything overkill.

It's still looking great, and I think that orange will look great next to the carbon black.
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2010, 17:39   #308
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieze View Post
wow your setting a new standard. Lol damn you!

now instead of 2 categories being Mod and Scratch. There gonna have to come up with another one. I vote the over achiever.

good work man congratz on the body coming out so well.
Wow, thanks! I'm not sure I'm worthy of that praise yet. I've still got so much work to do. Lol, I'll admit that the CF is getting all of the attention, but the internals are where the real work will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Is it tomorrow yet?
Quote:
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?

is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
is it time yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Lol, you guys are killing me. I'll see what I can get done for you tonight... That's US central standard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomann View Post
Craig, you are the wrong person to call anything overkill.

It's still looking great, and I think that orange will look great next to the carbon black.
Touché! I guess not. If it wasn't for overkill, I wouldn't have nearly as much fun modding.

Yes, the orange and black are going to be a killer combination. I was initially disappointed that the kevlar lost it's brightness with the resin. However, after looking at it last night, it's got a deeper, more sinister look that I'm really starting to love. It somehow really fits the name OSIDIAS.

Quote:
Old 26th Jun 2010, 06:18   #309
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

If it weren't for pictures like the following, I'd take the Kevlar/CF blend, and make it disappear... Yes, it's a royal pain to work with. I knew it would be, but until you are actually working with it and trying to make it do what you want, you have no idea...

It doesn't like to cut cleanly, no matter the process. The Kevlar fibers really have a mind of their own. I've found that I get the best results if I start cutting with a metal carbide cutting wheel. That cuts quickly, but not cleanly. I then followup with a reinforced cutting disk. This cuts much more cleanly, but it's slow. I can't take much material off with each pass. After that, I use a file to straighten the cuts. Then finally, I finish up with a 320 grit wet/dry sand paper. This does a decent job of cleaning the edge up, but it takes a light touch. So, that's one heck of a process for a single cut!

Time to cut! I used a yardstick as a straight edge, and followed up with my line taping method.

An hour later I had two sides done... This is gonna take a while. Lol.

Quote:
Old 26th Jun 2010, 06:24   #310
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i came bucketz!
Old 26th Jun 2010, 06:33   #311
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega View Post
i came bucketz!
Lol!

Quote:
Old 26th Jun 2010, 19:15   #312
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Ah, so the materials have a different texture/feel to them. Would you say the CF is 'crunchy', and the kevlar 'chewy'?

I wonder if a table saw would work, or tear the hell out of the material...

You need to take your new panel out in the sun for a photo. Indoor lighting isn't cutting it.
(My puns suck.)
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2010, 19:57   #313
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Craig needs to invest in a laser cutter.....
Old 26th Jun 2010, 21:22   #314
disturbed13
Hypermodder

Quote:
i came bucketz!
x2

i was thinking that he needs to invest in a water jet
i have a feeling that it would give a good clean cut the first time around
Quote:
Old 26th Jun 2010, 21:35   #315
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
x2

i was thinking that he needs to invest in a water jet
i have a feeling that it would give a good clean cut the first time around
na, the waterjet would blow the weave apart rather than cutting, you've got to remember the water and its abrasive is doing close to Mach 2 upon leaving the nozzle, that is a help of a lot of pressure behind it, also the biggest problem with the weave is sealing the cut ends, they tend to wick water like crazy.

also craig, ever think of getting an ultrasonic cutter? Works on solids as well, seen people cut CD's no problem

Last edited by Burnout21; 26th Jun 2010 at 22:07.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2010, 23:01   #316
Shadow703793
Supermodder

Shadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Kevlar looks MUCH better than I thought.
Shadow703793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2010, 23:20   #317
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
maybe a tile saw would work?
Old 26th Jun 2010, 23:40   #318
Langer
Jesse Lang

Langer has yet to learn the way of the DremelLanger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Kevlar is a b*tch to cut once it's been formed and set.
At the plant we have a tablesaw with 2xblades. The first is massive, ~30"diameter, which makes the cut - the second is slightly thicker and much smaller, ~6", and it cleans the cut.

Both have special blades which need frequent changing and both spin at ungodly speeds.

Your best bet with kevlar is waterjet.

-Looks great BTW- you're doing a great job. I'm loving this case mate... loving it!
Old 27th Jun 2010, 00:40   #319
disturbed13
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
Your best bet with kevlar is waterjet.
langer agrees with me
ive seen a commercial for a local machinist shop and they have a vid of the water jet cutting through
2 or 3" of solid metal
so if it can cut that
i had a really good feeling that it would make short work of CF and Kevlar
Quote:
Old 27th Jun 2010, 01:09   #320
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
i came bucketz!
nice thx but not mah bukkit
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon fiber, craigbru > skynet, losias, rick-roll, sff, skynet