bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:16   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
First Impressions: The iPlayer Beta

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/06...-iplayer-beta/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:30   #2
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
I’d actually go as far as saying I consider it one of the most important technical innovations of the last five years. So there.
You're not wrong there. Just the 5 years of legal work alone paved the way for all these great VOD services we have today.

Also, allow me to lower the tone and be the first one on these forums to say the joke you've probably been hearing your entire life:

Paul, do you give Good Head?

Welcome
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:32   #3
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Welcome onboard dude!

I to am a huge fan of the iPlayer and whilst I was a little unsure about the need for changes, these changes haven't killed off the idea of using the iPlayer.

I know people who are permenantly on social networking sites and will be thrilled at this addition to the iPlayer. Me, I'd rather watch in peace and relaxed without the disruptions.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:34   #4
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it just me or does Paul's photo make him look like the offspring of Alex and Joe?

Oh, and welcome to bit-tech and Custom PC I guess. Ask Joe to show you that inside his slipper is the perfect indentation of his foot - it's thrilling!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:34   #5
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
iPlayer is one of the PCs killer Apps, sure it's convenient on a PS3 or STB but there's no HD content on PS3 and Virgin's iPlayer is clunky very clunky to use compared to either.

I'm sure there's a decent argument for using your Licence number for use of their HD content.

ITVPlayer, 4oD and Demand5 are still playing catch-up.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:40   #6
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I tried the beta, but I couldn't find the most popular section on the front page so I didn't know wtf to watch, so Im back on the old site now :s
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:43   #7
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
Is it just me or does Paul's photo make him look like the offspring of Alex and Joe?
IT...LIVES!

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:45   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Don't be conned into having 'a ride' on Harry's beanbag.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:56   #9
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
I love iPlayer. Just wish they'd talk to Adobe and get Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration working with it again. I'm having to use a monster CPU in my media server to watch anything in HD since Ion doesn't take the load any more.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:13   #10
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If the content on BBC would be available to view from my country, then I might find it a good thing too....

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:18   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
If the content on BBC would be available to view from my country, then I might find it a good thing too....
At least you don't have to cover costs as part of your TV Licence fee though....

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:44   #12
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Thanks NuTech, and yeah, I've heard one or two jokes like that before

Quote:
Is it just me or does Paul's photo make him look like the offspring of Alex and Joe?!
This has been mentioned in the office. Alex is building a race of super soldier journalists, all fashioned in his image...or something like that.
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:56   #13
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
At least you don't have to cover costs as part of your TV Licence fee though....
That's the funny thing about it... I can watch it on Sat perfectly fine without paying the fees, just like the rest of the european television, still I'm getting blocked in the net.
Additionally, if I use a british proxy, then I can watch the BBC-stuff :facepalm:

Limitations to countries is the worst thing people came up with imho....

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:03   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
This has been mentioned in the office. Alex is building a race of super soldier journalists, all fashioned in his image...or something like that.

Think how tall that staff would be!

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:06   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
Meh, we have to pay our own licence fee (not too shabby) and DON'T get a killer feature like an IPlayer...

From Finland you need quite a big dish for sattelitebased-BBC, no? More than 60cm?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:08   #16
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:

Think how tall that staff would be!
Last time I ask Alex for some tea then, he'll be spiking it with growth hormones... :S

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:33   #17
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Urgh, there is no call for it to be attached to social networking but at least you don't have to be I suppose. Can anybody give some justification as to why it is interesting to know what your friends are watching on iplayer?
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:37   #18
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
Can anybody give some justification as to why it is interesting to know what your friends are watching on iplayer?
So you know what they really like watching, not what they think they're supposed to say they like watching.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:37   #19
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
Urgh, there is no call for it to be attached to social networking but at least you don't have to be I suppose. Can anybody give some justification as to why it is interesting to know what your friends are watching on iplayer?
It's actually becoming quite a popular idea.

Boxee is doing it as well. It will show you what your friends have been watching and if there is a (legal) download/stream available, it will take you right to it.

For a HTPC, I think it's a really cool idea.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 13:44   #20
Lamebot
What's a Dremel?

Lamebot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Is it just me or does Paul's photo make him look like the offspring of Alex and Joe?!
Quote:
=Win.

Last edited by Material; 7th Jun 2010 at 14:51.
Lamebot is offline   Reply With Quote