bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Jun 2010, 06:59   #1
jj_sky5000
Multimodder

jj_sky5000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project Intel "Ice" Video added 07/24/10 liquid resin case

Well after a long break I am back at doing some modding projects, I have 4 total that I wanted to have completed by the end of the year.

The first Mod is called Intel Ice, Featuring a Intel® Desktop Board D945GSEJT Atom CPU mini itx Board Sponsored by Intel, Looking to make it my Home Media Server. I t will set in a a Custom fake arclyic ice case. Let Begin

Parts List

Plexi Glass
Plastic Resin
Vandal Switch
DC power adapter ( on order)
Intel® Desktop Board D945GSEJT Mother Board Sponsored by Intel!!!!
PCi min express wireless Card ( on order)
Wireless Logitech Keyboard and mouse
Western Digital hard drive
Win 7
2 80 mm Blue led fans
mixing bowl /wood spoon
aluminium foil
2 boxs one slightly bigger than the other!!!

The mold Not much Card Board and aluminum foil

Lets Begin

64 fl oz of Plastic resin 1/2 oz of catalyst hardner
Mixed it it for 60 sec

Poured the top of the case in the moldto about 1/2 inch deep. Then waited 30 min till it start to gel then I put a second box on top to make inside walls. pour the remaining resin in to make the walls.

I had to apply a little weight on top of the inside box to keep from floating up.

This will set overnite to cure and make sure you are in a well ventilated area.

Last edited by jj_sky5000; 24th Jul 2010 at 15:06.
jj_sky5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2010, 09:14   #2
StEm
Multimodder

StEm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is such a clever idea to get the ice effect with the foil giving it the creases and shapes, I have a good feeling about this one!!!

Why cant I think of clever stuff like this?? lol
Old 12th Jun 2010, 14:52   #3
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've seen this affect before but never actually seen any 1 do it, looks like it's off to a good start
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2010, 17:04   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's a great idea and it makes the process of resin-cating so much more easier.

I'm trying to cast a case for an mITX-system aswell, but I was more thinking of something with an even and polished finish and I've troubles to make the moulds... resin-casting with 0.5mm clearance isn't particularily easy, if you don't have a CNC to mill the moulds

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2010, 17:08   #5
Nicksen
Danish Kid :D

Nicksen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks interesting. Keep working! Wanna see where this is going
Nicksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2010, 19:05   #6
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
What are you using to keep the mold from leaking? I've always wanted to try doing this stuff.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 01:39   #7
jj_sky5000
Multimodder

@cheapskate, that was one of my biggest worries. But by far this is the cheapest mold you can make (lol). I though of using clay or latax molds, but that gets costly. It did leak a little out of the almumin and box, The resin gets thick and gels in about 30 minutes. its just very minor. i watch it stop before my very eyes
Old 13th Jun 2010, 01:39   #8
jj_sky5000
Multimodder

Time to un wrap

I did spray a resin release agent before i poured the mold so it would stick too bad.

To square it up I did a little cutting with a dremal & hack saw!!!

Ok took a few shots to see how it looks on different surfaces

a little more work on the cover and then i will start on the base
Old 13th Jun 2010, 01:57   #9
Monsta
Dremel Blades in ma head!

Monsta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_sky5000 View Post

wow, that really looks like a block of ice
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 06:28   #10
Anubus
Multimodder

Anubus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is going to be interesting.
I can't wait to see the end.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 07:15   #11
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
that's an awesome effect right there. Very impressive !
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 12:07   #12
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Great idea with the resin/aluminum foil. Now I really want to try casting something

Last edited by Jipa; 16th Jun 2010 at 10:23.
Jipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 13:30   #13
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
^Careful, you might get chemical burns...

Does look just like a giant chunk of ice, so, perfect so far.
SuicideNeil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 14:33   #14
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Having spent a lot of time working with polyester casting resin in the past six months, I'd like to tell you to watch out as a safety point. The catalyst itself is not nice, and whilst the clear resin is slightly more benign, it can still cause problems, even when hardened if you're touching it a lot. I'm not trying to make you think it's deadly or whatever, but if you're touching it a lot and have sensitive skin, it can be an irritant.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 15:27   #15
oliverw92
Supermodder

oliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeloliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oooo that looks awesome! Nice job!
oliverw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2010, 06:23   #16
Bad_cancer
Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Bad_cancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet! very creative casting technique and the result is perfect. I'm watching

Q9550 | Evga 790i ultra sli | 4gb Ram | 2x Gtx460 (1gb) | 1Tb storage | Icute titanium 750w |
Cold lava~MOTM Nominee May 2010.
Bad_cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2010, 06:34   #17
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks pretty sweet, I can't wait to see who this turns out
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2010, 08:10   #18
Fabou
Supermodder

Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fabou is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As everyone I'm impressed. It's look's like a giant ice cube.
I really like your comment mate I wish I could express myself like this too! Thanks buddy!!
Fabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2010, 08:16   #19
speeDs_
Minimodder

speeDs_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow nice idea, and very creative ! I will follow this for sure.
Old 15th Jun 2010, 23:33   #20
Monkey Puzzle
Multimodder

Monkey Puzzle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ah very interesting - good effect with the resin. What's the name of the release agent spray?

View Mode