bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Jun 2010, 13:14   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Computex 2010: AMD, ARM, Intel and the Taiwanese Sony

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/06...aiwanese-sony/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 13:33   #2
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"There's no catching the iPad, yet:

We wonder whether the tablet craze might even over by then? "

That is a distinct possibility unfortunately.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 15:39   #3
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
Atom is indeed not the One True Way (tm) when ARM offers a near-infinite level of customization in its offerings, even allowing a company to license the design and make its own changes (re Snapdragon). Atom also doesn't support true SoC level integration and is still a pitiful showing even against low-voltage mobile Intel chips.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 15:46   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
AMD on 3D:
"You can play [Stereoscopic] 3D for one hour but Eyefinity all day... just ask what gamers prefer" I was told, and I was struck by how little emphasis there was on 3D throughout the show, especially compared to CES.
Lets see which craze outlasts the other...3D or Tablets
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 15:53   #5
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Lets see which craze outlasts the other...3D or Tablets
My money is on tablets.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 17:35   #6
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any hints as to asus g53 release date and is its nvidia gpu directx 11?
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 17:57   #7
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3d right now is nothing more then a gimmick, the current tech gives headaches from prolong use and if you dont have 20/20 vision your enjoyment will be left lacking a bit so it wont be until you get 3d without the need of glasses.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2010, 21:16   #8
crazyceo
Banned

The problem with 3D are the cheesy glasses. What happens when you invite people round for a party to watch the football? That's £100 a pair on top of the £2,300 TV!

I like that 3D has made a huge comeback but at the moment it's a cinema priority. The home user will probably need to wait for another year before it's worth spending the money. Unless of course, it's 3D without the glasses!

Even taken all of that into consideration, my money is on 3D.
Old 16th Jun 2010, 16:12   #9
bw67958
Minimodder

bw67958 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still no idea what the point of the ipad is?
Old 17th Jun 2010, 15:27   #10
crazyceo
Banned

Anyone see the Nintendo 3DS announcement yesterday? If they can do a small 3D screen without the need for glasses then the larger screens probably aren't that far away.
Old 17th Jun 2010, 20:33   #11
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw67958 View Post
Still no idea what the point of the ipad is?
It's an Apple-Controlled Content delivery device. It's designed to ensure you don't experience anything that is not controlled - to varying degrees - by Apple Inc.
Old 17th Jun 2010, 21:24   #12
_Metal_Guitar_
Multimodder

_Metal_Guitar_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A touchscreen overlay? How much?

I love how the biggest thing Apple find to say about the iPad is...it's thin.
And when the advert says it's powerful? I can't help but laugh.
_Metal_Guitar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2010, 14:10   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
Anyone see the Nintendo 3DS announcement yesterday? If they can do a small 3D screen without the need for glasses then the larger screens probably aren't that far away.
Not sure about that. With a small handheld screen viewing angle can afford to be very narrow and you can use fresnel lens technology. With a big screen that is much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbag View Post
It's an Apple-Controlled Content delivery device. It's designed to ensure you don't experience anything that is not controlled - to varying degrees - by Apple Inc.
You are pretty much spot on --not many people realise that. It is just that Apple is really good at (attracting) content delivery through the devices it designs for the purpose. Or perhaps it is not that Apple is so good, but that competitors are so bad at it.

Time to stop moaning and start putting up some viable competition. I'd like to see some good Android devices but Google is still dicking about thinking about what specs its own Tablet should have, and therefore refuses to officially support others who are creating Android Tablets now. Microsoft won't allow a release of Windows Mobile 7 on Tablets because it wants to force people to use the totally unsuitable Windows 7 --it can't make the paradigm shift. Meanwhile Apple laughs its head off as it forges ahead to define the market, let alone controlling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Metal_Guitar_ View Post
I love how the biggest thing Apple find to say about the iPad is...it's thin. And when the advert says it's powerful? I can't help but laugh.
It is powerful for what it is designed to do. Rememeber that the HP Slate was canned because it was distinctly underwhelming in performance (the hardware should have managed but the OS was too heavy).

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote