bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jun 2010, 11:51   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung intros 'toggle-mode' SSD

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...gle-mode-ssd/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 11:59   #2
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Samsung's latest SSD boosts capacity to 512MB"

Should that be Gb? Hehe. What's the point though it saturates the 3Gb/s SATA bus?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:01   #3
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hehe I noticed that typo too

512 GB and read/write speeds in the 200s could be a nice drive, even if it'll cost an unholy amount ^^
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:02   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
"Samsung's latest SSD boosts capacity to 512MB" Should that be Gb? Hehe.
Damnit. I was *so* careful to check, double-check, and triple-check the article body I didn't pay any attention to the image caption.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:17   #5
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
"Samsung's latest SSD boosts capacity to 512MB" Should that be Gb? Hehe.
Damnit. I was *so* careful to check, double-check, and triple-check the article body I didn't pay any attention to the image caption.
well it wasnt enough,
no use crying over spilt mik
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:21   #6
neocleous
Supermodder

neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The tech in SSD's is moving really fast it seems like every day bit puts up some break through in the SSd sector, its such a shame they are still soooo expensive compared to traditional hard disks.
neocleous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:22   #7
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Nice to see people working like mad on the SSD technologies. Put them together and we'll have some kick ass SSDs soon.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:30   #8
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sigh. I don't want to sound like I am just posting the same thing over and over, but again, why the hell do companies not show off their random speeds? That's what matters. Although the size (512GB) is quite impressive in all fairness.

An hour extra battery life is impressive if true though, considering SSDs use such bare all power anyway.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:42   #9
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i just which nand production was put forward and not one of them lines cut in the new cut everything and saving world we now live in...
These SSD's would make an absolute fortune for commericial and general consumer use, had they just threw themselves some stick at keeping the nand production high and ssd prices down.
These should be retailing at no more than £200 for the 512gb. But sadly we live in such a cost cutting world that people are cutting even the most profitable sectors of their organisations
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 13:00   #10
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
Nice to see people working like mad on the SSD technologies. Put them together and we'll have some kick ass SSDs soon.
Don't forget about ramping up production so the prices come down to acceptable levels.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 13:01   #11
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, BT is gonna get us an in-depth review soon right?
Old 17th Jun 2010, 13:27   #12
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3 things I don't like about current SSDs: the use of NAND, the small(er) size, and the huge cost. So far, this drive has addressed two of those: good size for system and programs, and a non-volatile DDR over NAND.

For the current price in Australia of SSD drives in excess of 250GB, I can build a complete HTPC (including a Lian Li case for drives near the same capacity as this), so if Samsung can get this out at a good price, it will definitely be a winner in my books
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 13:45   #13
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it's hampered by SATA3 Gb/s, why make it with that interface?
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 15:08   #14
Vigilante
Minimodder

Vigilante has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hate it when companies demonstrate performance of solid state devices by quoting their sequential speed. In 99% of cases, it is not sequential speed that makes SSD's superior to hard disks, it's random read and write.

Until manufacturers start honestly quoting decent random speeds for their drives, I'll just keep waiting until benchmarks come along and (most likely) show the drive being trounced by intel and sandforce devices.
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 16:40   #15
TSR2
Multimodder

TSR2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, wish list,
Crazy OC'ed Sapphire 5970, £1000
i7-980X, £1000
This, also probably £1000.
How many organs is it possible to sell?
TSR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 22:04   #16
Burdman27911
Modder

Burdman27911 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocleous
The tech in SSD's is moving really fast it seems like every day bit puts up some break through in the SSd sector, its such a shame they are still soooo expensive compared to traditional hard disks.
If I recall, Intel should be starting production of 25nm base NAND this year which will continue the trend of increased performance and decreased prices. I think things will start to look pretty good for SSDs in late 2011 or early 2012.

This new drive really is tempting me to purchase for my 3D rendering workstation here at work. My workstation is HDD limited when trying to compile the rendered frames from my render farm.
Burdman27911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2010, 22:58   #17
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Almost everyone although you won't be alive to profit from them xD

Cost figures for this piece of epicness?
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2010, 18:02   #18
Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Supermodder

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With every state of the art PC component costing $1000.00 including the dam PC case (Thermaltake Level 10)
how are we supposed to afford all this stuff on a PC gamers salary? Nice advancement in tech but how about you lower the price already.

512GB SSD is great but at $1000.00 I'll stick to HDD

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.9ghz, Gigabyte 790gp-UD4H, 2 XFX ATi HD 4890 @ 1ghz crossfire, 4gb OCZ Ram, 2 WD 250gb HD, Raidmax Smilodon, HP w233h + HP MX50
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. is offline   Reply With Quote