bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:21   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Crucial Ballistix MOD: Temperature-sensing DDR3

We take a look at Crucial's newest DDR3 modules, which include a built in temperature sensor.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mem...sensing-ddr3/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:27   #2
Teh C
Arg

Teh C has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who really cares about RAM temperature. Today a gaming rig will have 1600mhz RAM, and even at that speed have you ever heard a story about RAM overheating?

Also what is with more companies putting gimmicky heatsinks on RAM that do nothing but interfere with CPU coolers.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:41   #3
isaac12345
Supermodder

isaac12345 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelisaac12345 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelisaac12345 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelisaac12345 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Like Richard said,its useful for those who want to know more about their system while its running. It could be a useful tool for troubleshooting as well.
isaac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:44   #4
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
useful (to some), but I'd still prefer it on the small heatsink bearing modules.

@Teh C: People can push their RAM beyond stability, and this could help to show what's causing the instability.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:51   #5
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Meh, who really needs to know?

wouldn't a infrared temp gun be cheaper and more useful?
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:55   #6
enikmaster
Minimodder

enikmaster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a welcome add-on. With so many memory kits out there, it's nice to see something different. And Crucial's memories aren't bad at all. could have lower voltages but still good rams...
enikmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:58   #7
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Who cares, it's not like they're charging a premium. I'd rather take this over a competing brand just for the sensor.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 11:06   #8
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
IMO you just aren't going to accidentally overheat the rams anyway, and don't think anyone NEEDS this. That said, it's a nice little trick to stand from the crowd.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 11:21   #9
RonanH
mod-envious

RonanH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you're using a dedicated non air cooler on your cpu it's possible that there could be very reduced airflow over your RAM (and your pwm) so this is a nice addition to make sure that your ram isn't overheating. What is a safe temperature for RAM anyhow, I presume something at around the 70C mark...

To those that say it's useless... I remember when on die cpu temperature readings were either non existent, useless or not supported by the mobo. You were flying on a wing and a prayer if you wanted to OC, guessing what was causing the crashes. The same could be said for RAM. Once it's not a price premium and it will become available on all memory it can only be an added value thing.
RonanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 11:29   #10
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You may need this to see whether you can actually squeeze any more mhz from your RAM. No one ever mentions that the RAM modules can overclock further because of lower temperatures. They just assume the modules just cant overclock further. This will give people who like overclocking memory just as much as their CPU an indication whether temperature is a limiting factor.
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 11:39   #11
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The only time ram cooling seemed important was back in the age of BH-5, CH-5 and TCCD, where those chips got flipping boiling, and you couldnt get through the BIOS unless you ghetto rigged an 80mm over the top of the chips.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 13:13   #12
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a nice to have if not that useful - it would make me choose one set of chips over another if there isnt much price difference
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 14:37   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh C View Post
Who really cares about RAM temperature. Today a gaming rig will have 1600mhz RAM, and even at that speed have you ever heard a story about RAM overheating?.
Well, there's a lot of people out there that have failures they cannot explain, this way you could at least exclude the ram-temps

It's not needed, but nice to have and makes a lot more sense tham LED's on the rams...and people buy that.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 15:03   #14
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At least there's a benchmark for boredom now. I'm using adobe creative suit, blender and playing music.

*quick test---sticks hand in case, RAM = cool to touch*
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 20:51   #15
blighter
What's a Dremel?

blighter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Well, there's a lot of people out there that have failures they cannot explain, this way you could at least exclude the ram-temps

It's not needed, but nice to have and makes a lot more sense tham LED's on the rams...and people buy that.
Agreed, and the more temperature monitoring you have, the more likely you'll get a possible heads-up if a case fan or something stops working.
blighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 02:33   #16
dark_avenger
Raspberry Pi owner

dark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysisdark_avenger can run Crysis
I think if it was included in programs like SpeedFan and CoreTemp it would be quite useful to get a overall picture of where the heat is in your machine.
dark_avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 09:03   #17
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
YAY!!! RAM TEMPS

Fap Fap Fap Fap
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 20:24   #18
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AWESOME... I want all RAM to follow this and have a temp sensor built in, anything and everything should have temp sensors ^_^ Great for those who love to OC.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2010, 21:01   #19
icewind
What's a Dremel?

icewind has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This would be quite easy to DIY. All memory modules need to have a serial presence detection IC (the small 8-pin-thingy sitting in a lone corner of the ram most of the time) that is coupled to the board's management bus, so the board can see what memory it gets. People have already used the proper bus-pins on their rams to mount extra LM75 or similar temperature sensors in their case, so why not just glue 'em to the ram itself? I guess that's about what Crucial did ^_^
icewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2010, 21:05   #20
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
Want to know if your RAM is overheating? Touch it. Do you have Corsair (or whatever brand you have) burned into your finger tip backwards? Yes? It's overheating. No? Game on!

MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz Asus Rampage IV Extreme 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 4TB of HDD Storage 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI Corsair 650D Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L LSI SAS9260-8i 3TB RAID5 Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote