bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Jun 2010, 09:46   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nerf Gun Modding

Modding isn't just for PCs! Check out some of these excellent mods, plus how to tweak your own gun.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/guid...-gun-modding/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 09:53   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I remember at uni we all bought cheap "gadget shop" paintball guns. I started the trend of modding them by replacing the 10ball tube with a 50 ball hopper (1/2 a coke bottle) and spraying it green to hide better! Happy days!
Old 30th Jun 2010, 10:06   #3
ev1lm1nd666
Multimodder

ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I'm a (sort of) grown man and I want all of em! I can see me starting a collection to use with my son. What could be better eh? A good day's shooting between father and son!
Old 30th Jun 2010, 10:44   #4
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I would actually PAY to have one of these. Someone needs to start this up as a business!
Old 30th Jun 2010, 10:48   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
I would actually PAY to have one of these. Someone needs to start this up as a business!
Many of the modders linked to in the article do actually take commissions and sell some of their models.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 10:54   #6
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Makes me want to dig up my old guns and give it a shot . They could definitely do with more power haha.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:00   #7
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i considered buying a maverick to have a go at modding one not so long ago, i'll get round to it soon enough.

i reckon ive painted enough 40k orcs to know how to drybrush, so could probably manage a nice paint job
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:00   #8
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In my years living in Japan. A friend and I went on a shopping spree for BB guns. After he posted a smoke bomb through my door and when I opened it he shot me with a glock, I planned my revenge. Our apartments had the bathroom door near the front door, so I put the plastic silencer on my PPK and poked it through the letterbox waiting for him to leave the bathroom after his shower. My legs were going numb waiting and just when I thought maybe this wasn't a good idea I saw a shadow movement leaving the bathroom door. I realised I could only hit him from just above the knee and lower, so I gathered all my Steve Davis trickshot knowledge and went for the kill.

The bullet ricocheted off the hard floor and shot him right in the nuts! I ran leaving the scene with the cries of "ARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! It's Bleeding!" mixed with my maniacal laughing!

So we then made a truce to never attack each other again since we had lots of disposable income and the BB Gunshop had 6 bullit firing shotguns which would have been a rather dangerous playtime.

So we went about modding them to see how powerful they could get and great they would look. The PPK could'nt really get any better since it was cool as it was. However, the beefed up the glock and smaller shotgun went a little too far when windows began to brake!

So now I have introduced my son to the Nerf guns and apart from the odd random attack with the Havoc while I'm gaming. I keep a Nite Finder tucked behind the monitor to return fire once I hear the empty click.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:05   #9
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx
Many of the modders linked to in the article do actually take commissions and sell some of their models.
I can see their work, but I can't see how to contact some of them unfortunately
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:09   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx View Post
Here's Shagnasty's buying page, at least: http://www.shagnastylabs.com/wheretobuy.htm

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:12   #11
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx View Post
honeslty though for the money he's asking, do it yourself. its literally a silver base coat and then a black drybrush
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:26   #12
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ok, I am definatly going to have to give this a go now.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:34   #13
bahgger
Hypermodder

bahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
This is awesome! Do the nerf gun's dimensions limit the mods to guns that look like they're from Gears of War as opposed to weapons like the M4 and real life rifles?
bahgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:36   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan
ok, I am definatly going to have to give this a go now.
Let us know how you do in the Project Logs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahgger
This is awesome! Do the nerf gun's dimensions limit the mods to guns that look like they're from Gears of War as opposed to weapons like the M4 and real life rifles?
I wouldn't have thought so. The sniper rifle, for example, looks pretty realistic.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:42   #15
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been slowly modifying a maverick for some time now (i.e when i get round to it) The cylinder swings out all the way now and after adding some resin into the cylinder it has enough weight to be able to spin it and then flick it closed

It's a shame they don't sell the longshot over here, the only way to get it is ebay from the US at stupid shipping prices
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 11:49   #16
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69
I've been slowly modifying a maverick for some time now (i.e when i get round to it) The cylinder swings out all the way now and after adding some resin into the cylinder it has enough weight to be able to spin it and then flick it closed
Mine does that too. I've seen some mods where the entire cylinder just pops out, allowing you to shove in a second fully loaded cylinder straight away too - though it's an extensive mod to do and you need at least two mavericks.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 30th Jun 2010, 12:19   #17
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
Seeing articles like this makes me wish I had money
Old 30th Jun 2010, 12:52   #18
dylawesome
What's a Dremel?

dylawesome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This article is in serious need of talking about this guy.

Boltsniper is the guy who's responsible for making a 'nerf' gun with the darts fed in shells through an AK47 magazine, to a bolt action gun that in theory can shoot over 150 rounds per minute, over 100 feet.
dylawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 13:00   #19
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Preloading the spring with pennies won't improve the power of the gun. The spring rate is constant and isn't affected by static pre-compression. So, if the spring has a spring rate of 1lb/in then it would require 1lb of pressue to compress the spring 1 inch. If the same spring has a maximum compression of 4 inches then it would require 4lbs of pressure to fully compress the spring. Laws of relativity dictate that energy out must equal energy in so the maximum force that can be exerted by a 4 inch spring with a spring rate of 1lb/in is 4lbs. If you preload a 4 inch spring with a 1 inch spacer then it can only compress 3 inches and this would require 3lbs of force. 3lbs in = 3lbs out.

This is not to say that adding pennies into the gun will reduce its power. The power is dictated by the travel of the slider and the spring rate of the spring. To increase the power you would need to use a spring with a higher spring rate (a harder spring basically) or increase the distance that the slider can travel to fully compress the spring, assuming that it is not fully compressing already.
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2010, 13:06   #20
ripmax
Supermodder

ripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysis
Wow some of those guns look really nice. Can't wait until you publish the article on RC stuff since i raced rc cars for a good few years.
ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote