bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:22   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Molyneux: "Demos are a horrible concept"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ible-concept/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:29   #2
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Soooo....he thinks demos are stupid, but releasing the first 'chapter' of a game for free - which would essentially be a demo anyway - is a good idea? Oooookay.

Last edited by smc8788; 1st Jul 2010 at 13:01.
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:43   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
^ My thoughts exactly!
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:43   #4
bbshammo
Modder

bbshammo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why on earth is Molyneux still taken seriously at all?

Who cares what he thinks?

I don't think there's a single catch-all model for all games, when trying to decide if demo, or episodic releases is the way forward.

He seems to be looking at his own very circumstances and assuming it applies to everything.

You could even argue that if a game's good enough, and the marketing done properly, then demos aren't even necessary!

Basically Mr. Molyneux, make games that are clearly good, and people will want to pay for them.
bbshammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:44   #5
Ksař
regular bit-tech reader

Ksař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How could anyone still respect this looser? There are plenty of reasons why demo is a good idea and episodic concept is good only for certain games...
Ksař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:50   #6
pimlicosound
Multimodder

pimlicosound has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's very little difference between a demo and a free first chapter, and doing either is only ever a bad idea if your game isn't very good to begin with. Fable 2's free first chapter did for me exactly what Molyneux claims demos do: it satisfied my curiosity. It proved to me, in the first 10 minutes, that it was a shallow, ugly and uninspiring game. So, not a good idea from his perspective. Useful for me, though.
pimlicosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 12:51   #7
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The problem here is the fact that if the games crap then why buy the game after playing the demo.
Obviously companies want to get a massive return back, regardless if its decent or not.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:10   #8
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Demo's like Half Life: Uplink were great since they're not part of the actual game and doesn't spoil the story but includes all of the gameplay elements
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:12   #9
blohum
Minimodder

blohum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
...and episodic gaming has been really successful so far...
blohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:13   #10
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lmao, a demo is usually a free installment of the game which lasts around an hour... that's exactly what he's suggesting.
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:18   #11
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
lack of a demo is the only possible justification of piracy

how can this b*ll*nd expect us to pay 25 - 50 without any real idea of what the game is like.
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:22   #12
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder if the Spore creature creator that was available before the full game could be considered a "demo"...
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:23   #13
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
lack of a demo is the only possible justification of piracy

how can this b*ll*nd expect us to pay 25 - 50 without any real idea of what the game is like.
How can it be a justification of Piracy, nothing is a justification of Piracy. Read reviews, watch the videos or simply don't buy it..
Pieface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 13:27   #14
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blohum
...preparing to install SiN Episode 2. Hey, wait...

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:06   #15
Plugs
Supermodder

Plugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for president
"for free, and then offering users the rest of the chapters at a small price."

that 'small' price being equivalent to the full retail price, ergo not small at all
Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:07   #16
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The $10 shareware was nice back in the day. Duke3D anyone.....
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:12   #17
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
Soooo....he thinks demos are stupid, but releasing the first 'chapter' of a game for free - which would essentially be a demo anyway - is a good idea? Oooookay.
Did you lot read the artical? Think about it.

He said the problem that he had with demos was the time effort and money that it took to make them and that they then didn't do much.

By making an episode based system you can easily have set up through say an xbox live account it is easy to just hit "sure i'll pay another 5.99 for the next chunk" in game rather than have to go down to the shops to buy the next bit AND THEN have to play it all over again.

I'm not a massive fan of this system BUT I can see the benifit in games like Fable 3. Ever bought a game realised you didn't like it as much as you thought and stopped playing? I know i have a few in my game box, well if you stop (or get stuck) after the first 10 then you've not paid 40 for a new game you didn't finish.

The real key will be whether they charge more for the game overall because there is no way that I would pay over 40 for game software without getting extra content over the hard copy.

But thats just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Edit: And for those that didn't know the fable system was actually based over 4 chapters at about 7.50 each.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:13   #18
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blohum
Half Life 2 : Episode III comes to mind........
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:14   #19
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hahaha, hey Pete i feel much the same way about your games
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2010, 14:19   #20
Tyrrax
What's a Dremel?

Tyrrax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah Pete....you're full of good ideas....like the 360 degree view of that falling piece of bird **** in the beginning of Fable 2.
Tyrrax is offline   Reply With Quote