1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: "We're still a PC company"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

They got offered a sweet deal from Microsoft for one particular exclusive IP, and they took it. I don't see what the problem is, they're not actively avoiding the PC.

If anything, we should be thanking them. If it wasn't for their engine making it very easy to port games to the PC, we would have even fewer games to bitch and moan about...

3. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

What a confusing article. Are they or are they not making PC games? Anyway, who cares?

4. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Piracy ruins PC gaming! 2nd hand market is killing the console market! Maybe we should just forget about gaming all together or maybe, just maybe make decent games.

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting for a Gears 2 port...

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

am i missing something here? why is everyone sucking up to pc gamers all of a sudden? after years of disregard MS, Molyneaux and now Epic (MS and epic by the way have been particularly blase about the pc market for about 4 years now).

perhaps the life cycle is coming to an end? people are starting to realise PC gaming may have a few golden years ahead of it as the two boxes are running out of steam?

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

UT3 was the first game with shitty graphics setting and menu system that was using the said engine.

there is no excuse, from their development of UE3, they've abandoned all thought of producing a PC originated masterpiece.

there won't be another game like UT99 from Epic.

this statement is simply marketing for their multi-platform title, which will have zero antialising support, bad menu system and console-minded controls. we'll be lucky if it's got mouse support (like other million bad UE3 ports out there)

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

10. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it seems some companies have to keep explaining themselves to the PC market as it's a far more discerning.

Console gamers are generally more easy-going I'd say, and far less demanding, and this may have seemed attractive to companies with little skill, creativity, or energy as they are an easier target.

Presumably, now the books are back in order from skimming the console hordes, they want to invest in a little PC-gaming PR?

It would make sense as the console markets must be so saturated now, and the success of Valve (Steam) proving that PC gaming is as lucrative IF you know how to manage it, that the losers who jumped ship previously, are reconsidering.

Hmmmmm.

Sorry Epic, at least to me, your image is forever tarnished. The "Epic" brand is not what it used to be, and it'd take huge efforts from them to begin to change that.

"Epic" = ???????

I'd be happier if the likes of them just stayed put and allowed other more innovative and committed companies to take their place, rather than strong-arm their way back and offer lacklustre, half-baked rubbish.

They left for many good reasons, and any tripe spouted by them now is just annoying; thanks for the quotes Bit-Tech :).

11. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Unreal Engine is a bag of cack

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single game based on that engine I liked, as it's ugly and clunky. I would have liked bioshock for example if was built on a better engine and wasn't so consolified.

12. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Theres plenty of games based on it that are excellent. Batman: AA won awards from the PC gaming crowd and it was built using UE3. Borderlands was another great game.

13. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Maybe as the consoles get older pc gaming then picks up, and the developers are catching on to this. If the consoles have another 5 years before the next gen, surely more people will be tempted by the superior technology in pc gaming.

To Epic give us the Gears Of War trilogy, then i'll believe you.

Also the engine has to be easy to work with, developers obviously like using it and batman was a great game.

A little moan though is I do need AA, all games should have it as standard.....Yes Mass effect 2 im looking at you, which looks ugly without AA.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  14. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

Porting a console game to PC is NOT supporting the PC community. Designing games that utilize our very expensive, cutting edge hardware is more what I have in mind. Consoles, by nature, are old technology, and old technology ported to my PC is not going to get me to spend money. I wouldn't even buy a DX9 game on the second-hand market. Bioshock? Please. It was visual, uniqe, and creative, but the big console-style tips, prompts, and menus ruined it. We're better than that.

Oh well, I'll just keep re-playing the STALKER series and HL2 over and over, patiently waiting for pc-exclusive games of that class to come to market.

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

They may still be a PC games company, the issue is I simply won't buy any of there games. Indeed it takes something incredible from another company for me to buy it if it's powered by the frankly awful UE3.

16. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Unreal 3 is ok in the right hands, but so far it just an easy way out for a lot of mediocre games from mediocre developers.

I'd rather devs took the time and licensed CryEngine or X-ray...or even Source would be an improvement.

17. NortyOne

NortyOne NortyOne

It's good to see the old cycle still going. PC's stil push the boundaries of gaming, especially when you consider current gen consoles are based on hardware that is easily 5 years old or more. i for one was a long time pc fan but when the xbox came out and all my friends got one, i ended it up abandoning ship for a while cus it was cheaper and easier. I think MS should have doen the decent thing and kept up with windows live for pc, people have invested to much time and money in xbox live etc to go back to pc gaming in a hurry. PC's need a singualr community with achievements etc Like steam and an somehing liek the xbox chat/party functions.

Consoles are far to profitable to be a PC dedicated company, you can't blame them, but it is a pain in the all pc faithfuls with big rigs with nothing but the occasional port to play on them. all we need is a few good exclusives

PS to Epic.... i await unreal tournament 4 lol

18. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Sick of the overrated Unreal 3 console engine.

They have not made a good game on PC for many years, their only decent IP is 360 only, yet both are on the PC gaming alliance. Actions speak louder then words epic.

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

atleast his honest though that he primarily cares about the money on being made on consoles =\

20. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Yea i realise that probably should have worded it differently.
    I still want it though :eek:
    I can't Justify a console purchase solely for that though, although maybe Skate 3..

Although theres alot of bad things about the engine..such as custom resolution support.

Tags: Add Tags