bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 3rd Jul 2010, 11:56   #1
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Project: Shrink - Night photos added!

Project Shrink:

Right, well here goes!!

After numerous ideas WAY above my skill level, I've decided to start small. Literally.

This whole mod/build is designed to make my PC as small as possible whilst maintaining at least some half decent gaming performance. Also, I chose to do this because I have uni coming up in a few months, and I don't really want to be having a full tower case in my room, they're just too big for me now.

So, what size did I go for? mATX? Nah, I went for ITX. And seeing as there's a few decent H55 ITX boards out now, I thought I may as well! As for the case? I chose the Lian Li PC-Q08B. It's luuurvly

Well then, what hardware has been chosen for this? Let me tell you;

- Intel Core i7 860
- Gigabyte H55N-USB3
- 4Gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1,333Mhz
- Inno3D GTX460
- About 1.5Tb of storage (2 HDD's)
- Silverstone 450w ST45SF SFX PSU

Right, what cooling? Water Well, only the CPU will be, case will fit a 120mm rad in...just.

Cooling gear;

- XSPC Delta V3
- Laing DDC w. EK pump top
- Black Ice Stealth GT 120mm radiator
- Alphacool Repack drive bay reserviour

Right, without further delay, let's crack on:

Well, I would, but my WiFi card has packed in and I'm using a rather flakey mobile phone connection to write this, let me switch the laptop and pictures shall follow!

Last edited by mars-bar-man; 30th Jan 2011 at 14:39.
mars-bar-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:05   #2
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
-reserved for final pictures-
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:31   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
If you're only going to watercool the CPU, then I'd recommend using either the Corsair H50 or the CoolIT ECO ALC.

The CoolIT received better reviews and is a little bit better to mount from what I've read about it.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:37   #4
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
If you're only going to watercool the CPU, then I'd recommend using either the Corsair H50 or the CoolIT ECO ALC.

The CoolIT received better reviews and is a little bit better to mount from what I've read about it.
Yeah, but that costs more money, as you'll see in a bit, I already have all the W/C gear I need bar the res
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:48   #5
mrdbristol
Voided my warranty years ago

mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mrdbristol is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
- Some sort of mini reservoir.
If space it tight, which it looks like it will be

You could use a T line instead of a res, doesn't effect the loop performance
( Aug 08 ) : Dark Water
mrdbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:53   #6
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Right, well I got a nice delivery this morning at 8.45 One Lian Li PC-Q08B and a few other gubbins to help out the mod with

Anyway, here's some pictures of the case:

And then next to Cosmos. Teeeeny!

Internals:

Motherboard tray:

HDD cages, will only be using the one that fits two HDDs:

Some kit fitted, GPU, PSU, placement for HDD cage (will not be stuck there with blutac, promise..)

The X-Top for the D5:

The case fitted with the original fans, not really a fan of LEDs etc anymore, so that'll be replaced:

With a Yate Loon D14SL-12 140mm fan:

Most likely position for the pump to go:

And what's going to allow me to keep on gaming when I drain my W/C loop later today:

That's all for a bit guys, will get some pics of my loop getting drained and I'm going to get dirty with a drill, get that HDD cage fitted proper good
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:56   #7
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbristol View Post
If space it tight, which it looks like it will be

You could use a T line instead of a res, doesn't effect the loop performance
That what I was thinking of, but there's a little bit of space under the PSU, about 1 1/2" high and about a PSU height worth of depth.. I'll scour the web, but I recon it will be a t-line in the end.
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 21:08   #8
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Right, potentially last update for 2 weeks unless I can sell most of my current kit.

Drained my old W/C loop.. that was fun -.- Nice load of junk in the waterblock as well..

But I've actually done some modding! :O

Drilled some holes for the HDD cage to go in:

Brilliant, fits like a glove:

Also decided to fit the radiator and the fan to keep it cool:

There's less that 25mm worth of space between the PSU and rad!

I also braided my fan cables, which was actually quite a bt of fun, and I'm bloody pround considering this was my first time!

:O And what is this? I'm taking a drill to a lovely Lian Li?!

But remember the fan on top of the case? I need somewhere to put that cable back into the PC. Tada!:

Well, that's it today. I feel I got quite a bit done. Plus I have a fair idea on where the W/C tubes are going to go as well. And, I just managed sell pretty much my entire PC for between £80-120, hoping the latter, means that's the mobo and RAM dealt with.

Just a few questions;

1 - White tubing or clear tubing?
2 - What size cable braid would you recommend for SATA cables?

Cheers Bit-Tech.
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 21:55   #9
DeadP1xels
Music Enthusiast

DeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for presidentDeadP1xels should be considered for president
Ooooooo i like this

im curious to see what kind of card fits in this i always love sff!
[i7-4700K][Asus Maximus VI Hero][H100i][R9 270X][HyperX Beast 32GB 2400mhz][NI KORE][1TB WD Caviar Black][Corsair 450W VS][Cosmos SE][Razer Abyssus][Microsoft Reclusa][Samsung S27C450B][Behringer B1031A][Shure SE215]
DeadP1xels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 21:58   #10
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

My GTX260 will fit.. just, it's 10" long and there's 30cm space, minus the room for the fan, and hey pretso, compact uber pwning system. I believe it will also fit a 5970... But I don't have one
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 22:54   #11
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
Are you going to use MDPC sleeving...? I like this, as it'd be a great LAN rig. This is probably what i'll do when I do a full upgrade, put all the old stuff in a small case as a LAN rig
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 23:01   #12
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

MDPC sleeving is a tad expensive. I'm trying not spend any more than I have to. New mobo, CPU and RAM are a given, but everything else I already had really.

The sleeving's from specialtech, and from my EXTREMELY limited experience with sleeving, I don't think this stuff's too bad, it does the job of sorting the cables.
Old 4th Jul 2010, 06:46   #13
Reiep
Minimodder

Reiep has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's the first Q08 mod I see, I like ITX mods And I'm interested in this case, now I see better what can be done, it gives mes some

Keep up the good work.
Reiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2010, 14:06   #14
skullen
Supermodder

skullen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good mars-bar-man
skullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2010, 22:22   #15
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiep View Post
It's the first Q08 mod I see, I like ITX mods And I'm interested in this case, now I see better what can be done, it gives mes some

Keep up the good work.
Yeah, I was searching the web for a few hours before I bought the case to see what other people had done. I barely found anything, maybe a few review builds, but that's it. So I'm kinda walking in blindly in regards as to where I can fit stuff, just needs some creativity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullen View Post
Looking good mars-bar-man
Ta, hopefully get my motherboard by the end of the week, so update then!
Old 5th Jul 2010, 10:12   #16
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice build!

You know, if you move the rad a teensy bit, you should be able to fit a 120.2 rad internally

I've been planning a ITX build for a while now, but the plans/designs seem to be changing on a weekly basis now
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2010, 11:16   #17
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear View Post
Very nice build!

You know, if you move the rad a teensy bit, you should be able to fit a 120.2 rad internally

I've been planning a ITX build for a while now, but the plans/designs seem to be changing on a weekly basis now
There's no chance of a 120.2 fitting, there's about an inch of spacebetween the rad and the DVD drive.. It's going to be tight!
Old 5th Jul 2010, 15:56   #18
Reiep
Minimodder

Reiep has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Get rid of the DVD player

Maybe a slim one can fit under the rad ?
Reiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2010, 20:07   #19
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
What do you need a DVD drive for anyway?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2010, 20:20   #20
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

I use a DVD quite often. I'll have a think about the rad, as soon as i get upstairs and to my PC, i have a mini update, planned the w/cloop, and it looks good!

View Mode