bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Jul 2010, 10:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Developer Blog: Hello World!

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/07...g-hello-world/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 11:02   #2
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
should be an interesting read

i work for a small (5 man) dev team sadly only making windows applications not games. it will be interesting to see how problems correlate
Old 6th Jul 2010, 12:13   #3
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cracking game, i remember seeing it on bytejacker I think where it was highly rated and looked very cool. I will def pick it up when get a working machine!

I'd like to know.... what dev tools you use for coding, audio creation and 2d/3d visuals? Is it your own engine? What do you code in?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 12:15   #4
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great, I'll be looking foward to these.

I'll most likely be buying this, as concept idea is incredible.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 12:18   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally, I just want to know where I can get the soundtrack. The song in the trailer is awesome.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 6th Jul 2010, 14:12   #6
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Cabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for president
I'll be following this for sure, a likely buy for me too
I can kick you way up into a tree
Cabe6403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 14:55   #7
SoulRider
Modder

SoulRider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Personally, I just want to know where I can get the soundtrack. The song in the trailer is awesome.
I may be wrong, but I believe it's from Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells II, been a long time since I heard the album though, so may have got that wrong..
SoulRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 15:02   #8
Von Lazuli
I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Von Lazuli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Should be an interesting series to follow, as well as an exciting looking game.

I am currently working on animations for a small experimental exploration/hack and slash game as well as polishing up the design document for a physics based puzzle game, so I will be very interested in seeing your process. Is theres any insight you can give into your design process for Frozen Synapse up until this point?

As for the state of the UK industry, that is starting to become pretty relevant to me, as the Australian industry seems to slowly dying, or at least, slowly dying in Melbourne.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 15:43   #9
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I can't wait to get a job in the industry, but atm EVERY job I go for says "only bother applying if you have worked on a shipped A+++++ title, if you haven't you are less than scum to us"

How the hell is anyone meant to get experience if they demand only people with experience?

My degree was a complete waste of time.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 16:23   #10
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
I can't wait to get a job in the industry, but atm EVERY job I go for says "only bother applying if you have worked on a shipped A+++++ title, if you haven't you are less than scum to us"

How the hell is anyone meant to get experience if they demand only people with experience?

You can argue that with any job really.
Thats the sole reason i say Uni can be overrated at times. Depending on the job ofc.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2010, 19:47   #11
PaulMode7
What's a Dremel?

PaulMode7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I can assure you the soundtrack is not Tubular Bells! It's original music for the Frozen Synapse soundtrack.

I hope I can answer some of your questions next week.
PaulMode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 00:31   #12
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I am definitely looking forward to this. Possible game to play on lunch break?
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 07:08   #13
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Cabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens View Post

Make an iPhone game or something with equal scope. Should be easy enough for one person to come up with a decent game or two in not too long a period. Then when you apply for a job be like "I don't have any AAA experience but here's some stuff I've made in my spare time"

I was talking with a guy who has worked in a number of large studios a while back and he said that that really sets people apart.
Old 7th Jul 2010, 12:47   #14
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe6403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens View Post

Make an iPhone game or something with equal scope. Should be easy enough for one person to come up with a decent game or two in not too long a period.
Or a mod, or some levels, or a scripted campaign (NWN or Arma etc). It's similar with journalism: we want experience, but writing for your own blog, student paper etc are all good ways to get that experience.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2010, 15:10   #15
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Aye. All the developers I chat too say they look for people who show their own work done off their own back. iPhone games are an obvious way to make money, but as Alex says it does go as far as designing maps, working on mods and so on.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 7th Jul 2010, 15:13   #16
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000 View Post
Or a mod, or some levels, or a scripted campaign (NWN or Arma etc). It's similar with journalism: we want experience, but writing for your own blog, student paper etc are all good ways to get that experience.
Precisely. If you can't get experience elsewhere, make your own. It shows initiative and a passion for what you want to do.

Many developers will be just as impressed with a mod you've done yourself or as part of a small team (presuming you've made significant contribution to the project) as if you were a part of a much larger AAA title.

Example from id software:
Quote:
3+ years in the games industry or significant demonstrable mod work in the first person shooter genre
Obviously id are pretty massive and it'd be easier to get into less well known developers but the point stands.

Valve are big into employing from the mod community. Team Fortress was a 3rd party mod created by a small team of non-professionals. They ended up getting picked up by Valve to develop TF2 in house.
Old 7th Jul 2010, 16:36   #17
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've done some messing around making a few "games" but I'm interested in making a (simple) proper game and I want to go into games design after Uni so I shall follow this with interest.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote