bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jul 2010, 09:49   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
How to build a touchscreen all-in-one PC

We build our own all-in-one multi-touch PC, but everything doesn't go quite as planned...

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2010...ll-in-one-pc/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 09:58   #2
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
"propitiatory" software? you sure that's the right word?
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:11   #3
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Where can you get that monitor in the uk?

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:11   #4
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
It's meant to be proprietary.

Stotherd-001 - You can't unfortunately. Albatron is predominantly licensing the tech to other companies, but I've not been told if anyone else will use it to sell to consumers atm. We were just using it as a bit of a fun tech demo.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:12   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Ghetto mods. The best ones.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:13   #6
dackroyd
What's a Dremel?

dackroyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"The controller board is tiny. Click to enlarge"

was this intentional?
dackroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:28   #7
Hamfunk
I AM KROGAN!

Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.
I was expecting a nifty iPad alternative.... kind of disappointed!
Old 9th Jul 2010, 10:41   #8
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who would honestly want the restrictions of an iPad on an all in one system? iPad = major disappointment

I think you've done a great job with what you had to play with. How was the responsiveness on the touch screen in comparison to other more expensive all in ones on the market?
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 11:05   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
Who would honestly want the restrictions of an iPad on an all in one system? iPad = major disappointment

I think you've done a great job with what you had to play with. How was the responsiveness on the touch screen in comparison to other more expensive all in ones on the market?
Instant. It's optical and a simple calculation between two sensors so as soon as it sees your finger it relays that to the OS. Right now Win 7 gets confused when you use more than 1 finger, but Albatron's software could do the multi-touch stuff - rotate, resize etc.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 11:34   #10
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet!
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 11:52   #11
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo

What restriction? Nothing's stopping you from directly hooking up a keyboard and a mouse - unlike the iPad.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 12:03   #12
Hamfunk
I AM KROGAN!

Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post

I'm not saying i like iPads or even want one, but from the article title and i initially thought it was about a custom made iPad alternative!

Nice little set up although i dont see it as something i would get much real use out of.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 12:34   #13
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
iPad = major disappointment
I wish people would just take a chill-pill with their moaning about the iPad. It's just a gadget after all, it's designed to fit a segment and so what if it doesn't do everything you want it to (It doesn't do everything I would want it too either) so just don't buy it and wait for something that fits your needs and/or desires.

Sheesh

PS. I'm not defending the iPad, I don't have one.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 12:38   #14
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Nothing's stopping you from directly hooking up a keyboard and a mouse - unlike the iPad.
You can hook up a keyboard to the iPad, and a small point but iOS isn't a mouse aware OS. It's been designed to be a touch based OS so mouse support would be a bad idea without major changes and how would those changes compromise touch control?

I wonder if we'll soon see an OS that is equally at home under mouse control as it is touch. There isn't one yet.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2010, 13:09   #15
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Goes to show just easy it can be to make one of these. Also I think touch screens are useless on desktop use. Sure, there are some specific tasks/uses where they may be helpful, but in general it's just awfully awkward to touch the screen in the first place, let alone try to actually get something done that way.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 13:44   #16
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
@Jipa, that's more to do with habits than anything else. put a 3 year old in front of it and you'll see things from a different perspective.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 13:55   #17
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
fantastic mod, very nicely done with very good looking finishing touches :P

but i can't feel the need to touch my desktop monitor, i only feel the need to touch my netbook. so next challenge: touch netbook
Old 9th Jul 2010, 13:59   #18
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I was expecting something like the pads they used on Stargate Atlantis.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 14:23   #19
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Ed
@Jipa, that's more to do with habits than anything else. put a 3 year old in front of it and you'll see things from a different perspective.
That's pretty much exactly what I meant with what I said. Educational purpose, in my books, falls in the "specific purpose/use" category. Also it may be just the thing to keep 3-year old occupied for ages, but for actual work/use it's useless.

If you want to try what I mean, cover your screen with cardboard, sit normally like you would when using the computer and spend half an hour drawing and writing accurately on the cardboard. It gets pretty hard pretty soon. And if you're still going to mainly rely on the keyboard and mouse, why bother with the touch screen in the first place?

Special solutions for special needs.
Old 9th Jul 2010, 17:55   #20
ModaRobby
Supermodder

ModaRobby has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice. I've never even seen that motherboard. I may pick one up for the HTPC I've been meaning to put together. Love the concept though. Entertained me at work for a good 20 minutes.