bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:06   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The Humane Reader: a $20 PC

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2010/07...r-a-20usd-pc/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:11   #2
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
Better idea than this new item: Recycle old Thin clients, replace the embedded OS with DSL and add wikipedia/e-books.

Less waste as you are not producing a new item.

- Check out loading DSL onto a Compaq Evo T20 thin client via google - something I intend to do soon
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:25   #3
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Confusis, check out Computer Aid they do what you suggested
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:38   #4
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
Confusis, check out Computer Aid they do what you suggested
Thats the way it should be - recycle our old unwanted/outdated stuff rather that make new systems for the developing nations. Why manufacture (at the cost of new materials, mining, pollution) new products when we are struggling to cope with the E-waste or huge corps/everyday users? Most of the PC's that companies throw out are still in working order and should be passed on not dumped.

I sort of do this here, accept older pc's, refurb them and then pass them onto local families that need them, only the cost of my labour and any replacement parts is passed on (usually under NZ$50 for a P4/Celeron system). I also accept their older PC's to recycle and refurb older PC's. Enabling families with school children to have at the least Windows XP on an internet capable PC. Just doing my part
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:49   #5
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis View Post
Better idea than this new item: Recycle old Thin clients, replace the embedded OS with DSL and add wikipedia/e-books.

Less waste as you are not producing a new item.

- Check out loading DSL onto a Compaq Evo T20 thin client via google - something I intend to do soon
The only problem with that, is that it's not as low-power as this...thing (In honesty I'm not sure what to class it as), and you still need an external monitor on top of that
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:56   #6
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Rather than recycle, we (my family) always gave our old computers to family, friends or to charity.
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 10:57   #7
confusis
Kiwi-modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsharn View Post
The only problem with that, is that it's not as low-power as this...thing (In honesty I'm not sure what to class it as), and you still need an external monitor on top of that
I did think that but how much energy is used producing a new system?

My T20 uses ~10w. Probably the only extra cost would be a VGA->TV convertor (if required) , and a USB KB (cheaper/same cost as a ps2 keyboard, and generally when companies throw out systems they throw the whole lot, KB, mouse, Monitor, etc)

OT - I think the Humane website has crashed :/ Was trying to d/l the system design/source codes
Old 19th Jul 2010, 12:51   #8
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
how about something similar with a small projector display so that you dont need the tv, just a dark room
| Main Rig | FT02 BW | 2600k @ 4.3Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengance | GTX 1070 @ 2020Mhz | OCZ ARC100 480GB |1TB Samsung F3 | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | ProSonus Eris 4.5 monitors |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 15:20   #9
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really amazing use for a atmega328
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 16:09   #10
scarrmrcc
Modder

scarrmrcc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast
Rather than recycle, we (my family) always gave our old computers to family, friends or to charity.
that IS recycling.
scarrmrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 18:51   #11
alick
Minimodder

alick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrmrcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast
that IS recycling.
no it's reusing
alick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2010, 23:57   #12
Joey9801
Eric the Half a Bee

Joey9801 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlO
Really amazing use for a atmega328
It really is, I can barely make a calculator out of an AVR :P