bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jul 2010, 11:53   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Developer Blog: Prototyping and Playtesting Frozen Synapse

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/07...rozen-synapse/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 13:31   #2
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
It sounds like your approach of taking the time to get the core mechanics correct before moving onto the art side of things is the correct way to go about things, but is this easier or harder for a small dev studio like yourselves?

As a smaller studio I assume you've got more freedom to dictate your own time scale but at the same time you don't have the cushion of cash or other revenue streams the bigger studios do if things take longer than planned.

It must be a complex balancing act.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2010, 11:52   #3
PaulMode7
What's a Dremel?

PaulMode7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, it is a difficult balancing act. With Frozen Synapse, we were doing a lot of other contract work at the same time, so we basically had the luxury of saying, "We'll just work on the mechanics until we're happy", which I think is very important. If the balance of our work changes in future, then timing will become a lot more important - it's a massive struggle. I truly believe that indie games aimed at a broadly hardcore audience now have to have quite a lot of depth to them in order to be successful - there are so many great free "short" or "small" games out there that you really just can't compete. The only way to get good gameplay depth is through a lot of iteration of the mechanics.
PaulMode7 is offline   Reply With Quote