bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Jul 2010, 10:32   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
India aims for $35 education PC

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...35usd-edu-pc/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 10:47   #2
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
I honestly cant see how these really low prices can be met without some sacrifice along the way. Im all for the idea of providing cheap computing available to everybody, but i cant help thinking it can only come from lower wages and poorer working conditions for those that should benefit from the device.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 10:50   #3
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds a great idea and best of luck to them :-)
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 11:26   #4
V Krishna Moorthy
What's a Dremel?

V Krishna Moorthy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I tried my level best working with Chinese Manufacturers/Fabs, to work out a system that can touch $50, and at same time work for Educational media information (TEXT, AUDIO, VIDEO), MIDs shown by MHRD of 7" size even at 1,00,000 can not touch $50 (even just adding components costs, that is if you cost shirt take only cloth and buttons). Chinese have made exact copy of it!!

5" will hardly touch $50... if Indian IITs and IISc have the ideas to make them at $35, India will be the richest country by 2011 itself, we need not wait for 2020 any more... Best of Luck to all my fellow professionals.
V Krishna Moorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 11:33   #5
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sure they can get some pretty big names from within the industry to stand by this. Brand recognition within one of the worlds most densely populated countries will surely be worthwhile to them. This may help in getting the costs down.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 12:03   #6
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
quick question and not meant to be critical at all

how much are they investing into the research of this product / how much did AMD / intel invest into similar ventures?
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 12:14   #7
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i wants one!
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 12:56   #8
Sizomu
What's the Truth?

Sizomu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I Never Like the sound of these Projects.

First: What can you do, if internet connection & Electricity are not easily available. then if you have both, what can a PC help to educate someone, if the Basic human needs are not Met?

Second: to make it, is 35$, to and 3third world country, which is being sucked dry buy evil investors will put this PC for 35.00USD =1,642.20 INR!!!

Third: Unless Puppy Linux is on it, there won't be any improvement coming from A Pen & Paper.

Finally... PLS BIGASS Corporations stop Lying that you "Care"! U never did, you Never Will.

Sorry for My Negativity, But needed to say it.
Sizomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 13:14   #9
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it's a chunky Tablet PC thing. I want one for $35
http://gizmodo.com/5594441/35-dollar...-eventually-10
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 19:30   #10
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizomu
I Never Like the sound of these Projects.

First: What can you do, if internet connection & Electricity are not easily available. then if you have both, what can a PC help to educate someone, if the Basic human needs are not Met?

Second: to make it, is 35$, to and 3third world country, which is being sucked dry buy evil investors will put this PC for 35.00USD =1,642.20 INR!!!

Third: Unless Puppy Linux is on it, there won't be any improvement coming from A Pen & Paper.

Finally... PLS BIGASS Corporations stop Lying that you "Care"! U never did, you Never Will.

Sorry for My Negativity, But needed to say it.
It's always a fine line between investing in the technology to help the future economy or pay for basics only, but from what i can see the investment in education and IT in India is producing an amazing number of university graduates each year that are highly educated (albeit a percentage of them end up working in call centres to service the Insurance/Banking industry).

The alternative is to rely on the traditional farming and/or manufacturing industries, which is where the real poverty is - as well as a blight on the environment in a lot of cases.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2010, 15:24   #11
Spuzzell
Multimodder

Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Spuzzell - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Great, this'll be FABULOUS.

$35 is about 23.

An Etch-a-sketch costs 14.

So this just needs to be twice as good a tablet as an etch-a-sketch and it'll be awesome value.

I'd probably concentrate on helping out the 70 million Indians living in slums first. How're they going to charge the slow ugly tablet they can't afford when they don't have any plug sockets? Or, you know, walls?
Spuzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2010, 15:59   #12
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
But can it run Crysis?

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2010, 06:23   #13
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkedge View Post
it's a chunky Tablet PC thing. I want one for $35
http://gizmodo.com/5594441/35-dollar...-eventually-10
As stated in the article, this is a different project.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2010, 06:38   #14
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What nonsense. They're all corrupt insects posturing because they have nothing better to do. It is simply not possible to build a machine to those specs under $35. The DRAM and screen alone will cost $50.