bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Jul 2010, 13:22   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Microsoft signs CPU agreement with ARM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ent-with-arm/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 13:49   #2
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
would ARM really give intel a run for its money on larger faster chips?

I'd love to know - goes back and switches on the A4000 and hugs self
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 14:19   #3
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't worry Intel, this move is completely 'ARM-less

ARM won't ever challenge Intel in the market for desktops or even mid-range laptops, its chip architecture isn't designed for that. What's more likely are ARM-based netbooks/smartbooks/tablets, and Microsoft's covering its bases in case this takes off and an ARM build of Windows 7 is needed.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 14:39   #4
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How often will you be upgrading your PC? How often will you be changing your smartphone?

Most (and I don't mean us!) people will change their phone 2 maybe 3 times before any major PC change. If ARM is becoming the norm for smartphones then this could be a very clever move by Microsoft.

Most enthusiasts do change their PC or it's components alot more often but we are the minority. Given the number of pies Intel sticks it's fingers in, I don't really see them worrying too much.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 14:49   #5
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Maybe MS has a lighter version of windows 7 with a touch-friendly interface in the pipeline? Something capable of web browsing, content consumption and maybe basic office stuff, with a fraction of the overhead of full-blown Windows? That would fit quite nicely with a MS/ARM collaboration that produces iPad-whipping tablet and Atom-smashing (sorry) netbook CPUs.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 16:00   #6
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Microsoft, if you think that using ARM for your next Xbox will cut down on the noise and RRoD events...
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 16:15   #7
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot

Good Lord, you still have an Archimedes ?
Damn, i remember seeing Tetris at my cousin's house on his Archimedes...and the Flag demo, blowing in the Wind...

A Sweet machine
Old 26th Jul 2010, 16:24   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666 View Post
I rescued a two-slice RiscPC (with 52x CD-ROM, 40GB hard drive, and 250MB ZIP drive, no less) from a skip once. Still works, too.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 26th Jul 2010 at 16:34.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 16:30   #9
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also, I think Intel drew blood first on this lovein by showing the world Android running on an Atom based device in April this year.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 17:10   #10
koli
Minimodder

koli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe it is for some media player/hub device (apple tv kind of thing). I am considering XB360 for its media capability (movies, skyplayer, maybe zune music in the future) and for that the full fat 360 is overkill.

If MS can make it small and quiet that it would be a nobrainer for me.
koli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 17:13   #11
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another nail in Atom's coffin. You either want lots of power, or enough power with low power consumption. Atom is in the middle and could easily be killed off by an ARM version of Windows.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 17:14   #12
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Evildead666
yep.. .though its not plugged in right now - anyone got a copy of zarch about?

@Gareth Halfacree... NICE!!!
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2010, 21:35   #13
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love how everyone's jumping on this and going "ARM WINDOWS 7 OMG!!!", and completely forgetting Windows Phone, Windows Embedded, Zune, and the other Microsoft Hardware arms that run on ARM. Perhaps this is a sign that MS is going to make their own reference phone for Windows Phone, or maybe they're thinking beyond the Zune HD. Or, considering that the XBox 360 runs on a triple-core PowerPC processor (RISC) already, perhaps they're working with ARM for something for their XBox 720. Maybe Kinect is running with an ARM processor to do the limb detection and the like. Pretty sure Windows 7 ARM is not on the cards. No more than a resurrection of Windows NT for MIPS, Alpha or PowerPC is on the cards.

I wonder if the X360 kernel came from the remains of NT4.0 for PowerPC? Food for thought...
Old 26th Jul 2010, 21:45   #14
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot

Damn, i remember seeing Tetris at my cousin's house on his Archimedes...and the Flag demo, blowing in the Wind...

A Sweet machine
Archimedes, now that is a blast from the past indeed! Those beasts were stonkingly fast and also used to come with a PC emulator as I recall ) It was also the first machine that got me i to wanting to run video on my lowly Amstrad PC1512 with it's multitude of 4 colours from a palette of 16. My how things have come a long way since those bygone days...

I think having a new CPU ARM's race can only be a good thing and whatever they bring to the table in future products will hopefully be good for the consumer too.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2010, 00:42   #15
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
I vote for a new version of Windows CE, but who knows.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2010, 02:24   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
just another way to stay competitive.. levick might have a point about atom though
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2010, 15:53   #17
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
If ARM is becoming the norm for smartphones then this could be a very clever move by Microsoft.
LMFAO!!!!!

Clever? WindowsPhone7 hasn't even been released yet. What a f**king joke. If I were a MS shareholder I'd be well pissed and calling for Balmer to be given the "mother-of-all" enemas. Under his stewardship, we've witnessed the stillbirth of Vista, IE becoming an irrelevance and now WP7 looks like it'll arrive at the orgy after everyone else is already shagged-out.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 17:06   #18
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
come on ARM!
Old 27th Jul 2010, 22:56   #19
bobwya
Custom PC Migrant

bobwya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now I feel depressed. It's just M$/Balmer trying to squash the Open Source powered netbooks and smartphones... Throw enough money at a product and people will be forced to use it...
bobwya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 16:18   #20
jamie_macdonald
What's a Dremel?

jamie_macdonald has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbag
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
If ARM is becoming the norm for smartphones then this could be a very clever move by Microsoft.
LMFAO!!!!!

Clever? WindowsPhone7 hasn't even been released yet. What a f**king joke. If I were a MS shareholder I'd be well pissed and calling for Balmer to be given the "mother-of-all" enemas. Under his stewardship, we've witnessed the stillbirth of Vista, IE becoming an irrelevance and now WP7 looks like it'll arrive at the orgy after everyone else is already shagged-out.
I don't think you know the meaning of the word "clever" and if you do it's a case of knopwing but not "taking it on board"

I enjoyed vista and had no problems, i also chose new hardware to go with vista .. old pc's and vista didnt mix and it was intended to be for newer multithreaded devices with plenty of ram and grunt ...it did as intended, and it did it well, Win7 also has all the same problems vista had, albeit a little more responsive

I still use IE too, i like firefox and all the others but IE came with my windows and works with everything anyway (i know it leaves little desire for a developer using CSS though ehe).

Not really caring about winmobile7 as i will be firmly with the Meego,Maemo camp for mobile devices for the forseeable future ...

..So in short, jsut because you do not like them, and had problems with them, it does not mean everyone else is in the same boat ...you mus "hold you PC wrong" maybe?

Nice to see that ARM will have some further support in future, they do deserve it for their hard work over the years ^^
jamie_macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote