bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jul 2010, 10:02   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Developer Blog: Getting the Graphics Right

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/07...raphics-right/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 10:07   #2
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Actually, I've got a question. I'm interested how you designed the UI specifically. The conceptual UI from the later art above looks quite functional, so it would be interesting to know how and why you moved away from it?

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 11:07   #3
PaulMode7
What's a Dremel?

PaulMode7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's one of those things that looks great but when you try it it's *absolutely* terrible. We had the current list-based orders menu, and converted it over to this to play with. It just felt really messy and horrible; also we'd already had good feedback from testers on how easy the current menu was to use, so we thought we'd stick with it.

In the current beta, it's one of the worst-looking in-game elements, so it still needs a lot of visual tweaking, but functionally, it's just better.
PaulMode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 13:25   #4
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Cabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for president
Hi Paul,

Another great blog. I'm really enjoying seeing some of the pieces behind the puzzle. I've one quick question but it's not actually related to Frozen Synapse per say, so feel free not to answer if you'd rather not.

What is your educational background? i.e. What (if any) degree(s) do you have?
I can kick you way up into a tree
Cabe6403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 14:04   #5
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be interested to know how you make the choice between flashiness and function when it comes to the UI (and graphics) - obviously you need it to be functional, but at the same time, especially as an indie game, I would imagine a degree of flashiness is required to attract interest from players?

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2010, 17:03   #6
bennyjh
Minimodder

bennyjh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do you have a dev log for the game, id like to subscribe.
“Didn’t we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said ‘Goodbye’ and you were like ‘NO WAY!’ and then I was all ‘We pretended we were going to murder you’? That was great." ~ GLaDOS
bennyjh is offline   Reply With Quote