bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:26   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

As we discussed in our StarCraft 2 review, and as you've confirmed in the comments, StarCraft 2's multiplayer is hard. Damned hard in fact.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/07...t-starcraft-2/
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:28   #2
ZeDestructor
Multimodder

ZeDestructor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I avoid playing online..mainly because I lag massively
ZeDestructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:34   #3
Lord-Vale3
His Tremendousness

Lord-Vale3 has yet to learn the way of the DremelLord-Vale3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That video... where does game end and obsession begin?...
The rig: [Antec Mini-P180] - [Core i5-750] - [CoolerMaster Hyper 212+] - [Gigabyte P55M-UD2] - [8GB DDR3 G.Skill @ 1333] - [EVGA GTX460 1GB] - [Asus Xonar D1] - [WD Caviar Blue 500GB & WD Caviar Black 1.5TB] - [Antec BP 550W]
Lord-Vale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:42   #4
NortyOne
NortyOne

NortyOne has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im not sure im ever going to attempt the online game tbh. i do enjoy a good RTS and i'd really like to keep it that way lol. Playin a cpu is one thing and cocking up is one thing, playin against the above kind of nutters, not my idea of fun
NortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:45   #5
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
And that's why I keep Supreme Commander around.
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:45   #6
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Vale3 View Post
That video... where does game end and obsession begin?...
It has nothing to do with obsession. You most likely have a job. When you do it, you probably work hard at it. That's what those guys do. It's their job and they're the best at it.

I still think APM is bullshit though
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 18:48   #7
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
And that's why I keep Supreme Commander around.
ditto.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:03   #8
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
I play online with friends, rarely against a randomer. This means I don't get that frustration of being whipped by a nerd with a high APM.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:13   #9
zelachang
Minimodder

zelachang has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Getting good at SC takes a lot of mental stamina and hard work. Most SC progamers in korea practice at least 8 hours a day and some, like FlaSh, train 14 hours a day until they burn out. They are rewarded greatly if they can make it though, NaDa is paid ~200k USD per year not including sponsorships and stuff. The best of the best are paid extremely well but they start off in humble beginnings. Most start as B teamers who aren't paid anything and go to the team houses just to train with better people and if they prove themselves worthy can move up the roster to the A team. So yeah, most likely you will never get to crack the upper ranks of starcraft because there are koreans (and actually quite a few europeans/americans) who are willing to practice the game for a year or two while making no money to master the game.

That doesn't mean its not fun though for us average guys. Even when I lose a game I don't feel too bad because it means I need to improve. Whether its scouting more or timing expansions correctly or just increasing average APM and lowering unused resources I can see my skills increase. When I lose a 60 minute Dota game because one of my teammates was a feeder its a much more frustrating experience to me.
zelachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:37   #10
GFC
Multimodder

GFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"unit spam fest " <- this alone shows why people cant play starcraft. It's a balance between micro and macro, not just "ok, build shed loads of units and HOPE to be lucky".
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:38   #11
Altron
LIKE A BAUCE!!!!

Altron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The thing is, most players are just as bad as you are.

And, as far as I know, there is a ranked match-making system intended to balance the teams.

In the old SC, you had no idea whether your teammate was some kid who bought his first RTS game that morning, or someone ridiculously experienced at it.

Sure, the top 1% have essentially had a decade and a half worth of practice, but the vast majority are either picking up SC2 as their first experience with Starcraft, or have played a enough SC to be familiar with the carryover units, but aren't experts at it.

And, given a couple weeks, the latter two will be indistinguishable.

It's like basketball. It's a fun game which is pretty easy to learn the mechanics of. You can pick up the ball and just shoot some 3-on-3 hoops with a couple of your buddies, and have a great time. With enough practice, you could get pretty good at it, maybe play it on a school team, or join an recreational league.

But you will never, ever be as good as Lebron James. Lebron is playing a whole different game from you. Lebron could kick your ass with one hand tied behind his back.

But, in real life, you're never going to play against Lebron. It's his full time job to play basketball. He makes a ton of money doing it. He's not gonna waste his time beating some noobs on the basketball net in the park - he's going to play solely against players that are almost as good as him.

Just because you're not as good as him doesn't mean that you won't be able to have fun playing basketball with all of the other amateur players, or that you won't even be able to join a team and compete at it. You can play your game, and you can watch Lebron play his game on TV. Maybe you'll learn a trick or two from him, but the fact that he is so much more talented at the game than you doesn't make the game any less fun for either of you.

e^i(pi)+1=0
Altron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:47   #12
GFC
Multimodder

GFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
+rep to altron. definetly sums it all up.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:50   #13
fatty beef
State Side

fatty beef has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sucks getting whiped out in 48 seconds. Happens every few games. Pricks creating new accts because they lost twice...

But at least playing the beta, it would be pretty even games where I steamrolled someone and games where I got smoked. Most were pretty intense battles, or won or lost because of how we went up or across the tech tree.

Nothing better than a 72 minute slug fest where the resources are gone and its anyones game. The ladder/league system was pretty effective in the beta and with the amount of people logged on last night (only played single since release) should work fairly well at keeping most people from getting totally screwed.
fatty beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 20:39   #14
Apoptosis
Modder

Apoptosis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Totally uninterested in multiplayer in all games.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 20:52   #15
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
the overly done micromanagement by online players is the reason i quit playing RTS games online.

playing game is about having fun, and i think this is why Call of Duty series with their killstreaks made it so big. any player could be on a lucky killstreak and become top of the leaderboard, thus having bucket loads of fun.

RTS games such as Starcraft 2 will not offer anything fun at all, you can't go into this game and expect to win, it's a game purely designed for fanatics. unless you plan to spend ages on it, you really isn't going to get anything out of the game.
Old 29th Jul 2010, 20:57   #16
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I don't think you need high apm to be good.. just you have to learn to keep many different things going far as expansion and the economy while also microing units for battle.. it's exactly like he said- it's like drawing a picture- your an architect in a way.. I really enjoyed wc3 pace

generals and age of empires is perfect for a slow paced war.. I hated sup commander though- it's way too slow

starcraft was always a little ocd =]
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 21:31   #17
Sombrero
What's a Dremel?

Sombrero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They should probably learn something a bit more useful. Just a bit.

That video makes me sad.
Sombrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 22:15   #18
sl1xx
Multimodder

sl1xx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IT's all ranked nw so you should be playing ppl your own level, at the end of the day you can be low level and still be good in your own league,have a build order,watch replays make some macros to make controling units easyer and get used to useing the hot keys and not mouse clicking that alone will make you a better player even if you dont have the best rts mind.most of all just enjoy it either way and if you get good hey you get good!
sl1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 22:17   #19
zelachang
Minimodder

zelachang has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrero
They should probably learn something a bit more useful. Just a bit.

That video makes me sad.
As I said earlier, the guy in the video is making $200k+ a year and has an enormous number of fans in Korea. If you're going to say that then all professional sports players should learn something more useful am I right?
zelachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2010, 23:56   #20
Solidus
Superhuman

Solidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
This game isnt about APM and its been proven you can have a very low apm of about 80-90 and still be good. (casual gamers will probably average near the 70-80 I would estimate if memory serves me correct from my warcraft 3 days.

The first ever player to reach #1 rank in warcraft 3: The frozen throne with no losses had an average APM of 80-90.

His name was Qazzi I believe but went under the name of " io."

He wasnt a pro-korean gamer at the time either but became one of the greats purely for his accomplishments and beating insanely good players with low actions per minute.

It is possible.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, gaming, starcraft 2