bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Jul 2010, 12:29   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AMD Ontario performance numbers leaked

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...mbers-leaked/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 13:11   #2
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Me likey!
been itching to get on with a new ITX build, looks like a board based around this chip would be a winner.

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 13:12   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's stunning. I'll hold off building my HTPC until this launches then
Old 30th Jul 2010, 13:54   #4
mjb501
Minimodder

mjb501 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjb501 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks very promising.
mjb501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 13:57   #5
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks promising, though I think I'd be more receptive of it if it could match the performance of the 250u listed; still if it can do all this in the power/thermal envelope of the Atom, that'd be impressive.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 14:44   #6
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very impressive indeed.
Why they tested on Server 2008 R2 for an atom oriented type of chip could indicate that Low-power servers may also be powered by such chips...
How many could fit in a 1U blade ?
Old 30th Jul 2010, 14:53   #7
general22
Multimodder

general22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pretty shifty benchmark, 3 different operating systems (Yes I know they are the same core). Still it looks like they made a good low power CPU for a HTPC with the integrated GPU.
general22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 14:54   #8
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yawn
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 14:57   #9
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Will a version of this be hitting the gap between netbooks and cheap laptops sort of where the CULV processors sit or is neo challenging that spot?
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 15:31   #10
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And the next thing we know, Intel issues press release : Next Gen Atom, with similar TDP but tripled performance bound... one month before Ontario launches.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 18:19   #11
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
11-12" netbook with this is a complete win.
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 18:24   #12
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You mean 1.352 GFlops, not 1,352. 1,352 GFlops puts it on par with the GTX480.

(On the continent, they use a comma where we use a decimal point. The french call it 'le point' I believe.)
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 18:50   #13
ChuckyP83
Minimodder

ChuckyP83 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You could say 1,352 Megaflops...
Just sayin...
ChuckyP83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 18:59   #14
alwayssts
Minimodder

alwayssts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
Will a version of this be hitting the gap between netbooks and cheap laptops...?
Yes. Is it effectively replacing Neo in that area.

Llano will be replacing the regular laptop lineup.

AFAIK AMD (per their roadmaps) does not plan to offer a triple or dual core Llano for laptops, only quad-core, which leads me to assume Ontario will fill that segment.
alwayssts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 19:18   #15
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow that could be an Atom killer right there given the wider range of support and most likely HD support as well. hmm I have a 12" ION Netbook but I would be happy to replace it with a similar model of this. ^_^ and I bet will have much better battery life too.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 21:05   #16
Blanx3_Bytex
Multimodder

Blanx3_Bytex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
Yawn
crazyceo are you seriously uninterested in a new product that could give the mobile market a proper shakeup? or maybe suspect fanboy-ism is at work...
Blanx3_Bytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 21:23   #17
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks like Intel needs to step their game up on the low powered CPUs now. Interesting turn of events.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 22:15   #18
null_x86
Thread Closer

null_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysis
numbers look pretty damn impressive, but why make it a x86 architecture? Why not x64?
Korraz - That iPad vs Stone one is an insulting lie! I never expected to see something so mediocre as THIS an this holy thread! You disgust me! A stone HAS a Touchscreen!
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 22:41   #19
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Everybody listen CrazyCeo was simply born with a negative outlook on life, if you notice ALL his post tend to be negative so dont waste your time with him and just move on for more worth wild post.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2010, 22:44   #20
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn
Everybody listen CrazyCeo was simply born with a negative outlook on life, if you notice ALL his post tend to be negative so dont waste your time with him and just move on for more worth wild post.
No, I've seen some positive posts

I'd only say that he has an unusually negative outlook on AMD and ATI products in general.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote