bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google Wave killed off

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...e-killed-off/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:38   #2
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is refreshing to see googles attempts at various projects and then canning it if it doesnt work.
Many other companies would push their projects to the brink and keep insisting that its "good".
I do hope google keep trying new things
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:41   #3
void
Minimodder

void has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is surprising. Everyone, including Google was so positive about Wave.

Wonder what went wrong?
void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:45   #4
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
No bugger uses it!
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:00   #5
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I love google's attitude to projects - try it, if it doesn't work then no biggie. Might not be the best business model for others to follow, but with so much money sloshing around I suppose it doesn't matter to them at all.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:00   #6
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Exactly. In my case, I remember hearing about Wave, seeing videos on it long before it was released, and eventually getting access to it. I was so excited. Then I opened it up, and it crashed. And I opened it, and it crashed. What they were trying to do was clearly very complicated, but if you can't make the damn thing work then who's going to use it?
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:04   #7
J05H11E
Fujitsu Technical Analyst

J05H11E has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never used it, I remember seeing all the hype about it, but it didn't interest me.
J05H11E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:32   #8
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never heard of it, did I miss anything?
Old 5th Aug 2010, 13:29   #9
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not really Mike, it was interesting as a tech demo but like others have said, no-one used it and most couldn't figure out a use for it.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 13:37   #10
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So now he's Eric Chmidt?

So where did Schmidt run off to?
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 13:39   #11
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I tried it, couldn't see practical advantages, and stopped using it. It sounds like everyone else did too...
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 13:45   #12
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh! It was awesome to work in Projects for college... Guess they implemented most in GDocs nevertheless...
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 13:48   #13
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
It was a clever idea but I could never really see a situation where people would willingly use it. It seemed quite a steep learning curve to achieve something most people have never realised is a problem.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 14:20   #14
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a brilliant product sadly lost due to the stupidity of users :-(

google wave I'll miss you
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 15:00   #15
paisa666
I WILL END YOU!!!

paisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysis
Skynet Google plans to take over the world get a litle tiny set back, we all can sleep without worries just one more night
Old 5th Aug 2010, 15:30   #16
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I didn't even get to try it
No wonder it wasn't adopted widely enough, i didn't even know it was public yet. Damnit.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 16:04   #17
SlickGnome
Modder

SlickGnome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I liked the product, but for personal use it was rather useless. I was kind of looking for a release though to give it some feasibility testing at work.
SlickGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 16:09   #18
Deadpunkdave
...why you need a 20-sided die

Deadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
We live in an age where computers are used to do things we would do anyway, but faster, more precisely or in some way better or more conveniently. Creating a document by simultaneously having 5 people drawing on the same piece of paper is not an improvement on how a team actually functions, and there are far better electronic and physical ways of doing it which adhere to a structured methodology which everyone can easily learn, rather than being a free-for-all as wave was.
Deadpunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 17:43   #19
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So does this mean that email won't be re-invented?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2010, 18:52   #20
smc8788
potato

smc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD View Post
So does this mean that email won't be re-invented?
If no one else has seen the need to re-invent it in the last 20 or 30 years even with all the advances in technology and communications infrastructure, that's probably a sign that it doesn't need re-inventing. Google tried to combine e-mail, IM and social networking, but forgot that most people use them for different things, so their existence as separate forms of communication actually suits most people better.

The reason it failed is that most people are set in their ways (including me), which is understandable given how little e-mail has changed over the years, so when presented with this completely new idea we were all pretty confused by it. It didn't help that it had limited access at the start, either. While that did do a good job of building up hype, if you did actually want to talk to someone on Wave there was a good change that they didn't have an invite, so just left it and never returned.

It wasn't necessarily the implementation of the idea that was bad, I just think it was a bad idea to begin with, or perhaps more the timing of it. If Wave was around 10 years ago it'd probably still be around now.
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote