bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Kinect can't read sign language

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ign-language/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:24   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Did you know that sign language is usually different in each language? That would make it even more difficult.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:45   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
Did you know that sign language is usually different in each language? That would make it even more difficult.
I did. There are not only different languages, but many people fail to realise how diverse the languages are and how, like any linguistic or communicative device, they naturally evolve through use. Thus, there are also different dialects, accents, slang and even diglossic elements within the various sign language communities.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:45   #4
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wasn't Kinect also marketed as a product to help disabled children? To interact with autistic and deaf children?
What use is it otherwise if it'll just work like an EyeToy?
Old 11th Aug 2010, 14:04   #5
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, I hope it can recognise the sign language that players will give it after experiencing its immense input lag.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 14:55   #6
KayDat
Multimodder

KayDat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=294
KayDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 15:01   #7
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Kinect that is shipping this holiday will not support sign language.
In other words "Kinect that is shipping next holiday will support sign language."
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 15:03   #8
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Being unable to keep up with individual movements. Fair enough.
Not having a camera with a high enough resolution to make out individual fingers. Just how low a resolution do you need for that!? My god damn EyeToy could do better!
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 15:29   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The idea of any computer being able to make sense of sign language is laughable. They can barely parse typed sentences meaningfully. Spoken word is just about getting there, but only for brief unambiguous instructions.

Sign language is incredibly complex. As CardJoe says, it differs not only across nations, but also regions and generations. Although to signing people of different countries can understand each other fairly well (many signs have visually descriptive and intuitive roots) there is also specific idiom, metaphor, contraction, dialect and new made-up-on-the-spot-for-ease-of-conversation sign.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 15:42   #10
Bob1234
Modder

Bob1234 has yet to learn the way of the DremelBob1234 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMerc
Not having a camera with a high enough resolution to make out individual fingers. Just how low a resolution do you need for that!? My god damn EyeToy could do better!
Its not that it cant recognise fingers, its that it cant recognise them easily.

Its probably a combination of resolution, focal distance and processing speed.

Its like head tracking, it doesnt follow your head, it follows your eyes or nose, but not the head as a whole.
Bob1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 17:39   #11
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Quote:
Kinect that is shipping this holiday will not support sign language.
In other words "Kinect that is shipping next holiday will support sign language."
Why, that's the Apple policy. Why bring out a product that does everything this year, when we can stretch it out over 8 years and make people buy a new one each year.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 17:47   #12
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
Well, I hope it can recognise the sign language that players will give it after experiencing its immense input lag.

I actually laughed at this.
+1 rep for r3loaded
do_it_anyway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2010, 00:42   #13
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is your Virtual Boy, Microsoft.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2010, 05:32   #14
jian5
What's a Dremel?

jian5 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Kinect can't read sign language

Kinect will definitely not support sign language recognition in any way, a Microsoft spokesperson told Kotaku - at least, for now anyway.
jian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2010, 10:30   #15
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

Mister_X has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Microsoft not offering a feature they didn't advertise it would have. Shocking stuff.
Mister_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2010, 00:05   #16
Cool_CR
Modder

Cool_CR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well i would bash but i cannot understand it either. Maybe semaphore will be it cannot possibly miss the flags.
Cool_CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2010, 08:06   #17
lilreaper88
What's a Dremel?

lilreaper88 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMerc View Post
Apparently they actually had to downgrade the camera that they used for i don't what reason, but originally I think it was able to understand some form of Sign language dilect though it would be impossible for it to know all forms as their are more forms of signing than there are of spoken languages.
lilreaper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2010, 15:59   #18
Synikal Ali
Minimodder

Synikal Ali has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well, we wouldnt want microsoft to work too hard for the sheer amount of cash these things are gonna make em would we?
Synikal Ali is offline   Reply With Quote