bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Aug 2010, 08:23   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
EVGA Classified SR-2 Review

Build your own supercomputer with two overclocked CPUs and up to seven graphics cards.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...-sr-2-review/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 08:32   #2
ImInTheZoneBaby
Bring it on sucka!

ImInTheZoneBaby has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not really sure what to say... Overkill, perhaps?
And the price... Ouch. :L
Old 17th Aug 2010, 08:39   #3
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
One thing to say for this, and I've found it with my dual Opteron system too, is that in five years everyone else will have upgraded two or three times and you will still be able to keep up. While not perhaps future proofing, boards like this have a significant lifespan due to their expandability.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 09:27   #4
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInTheZoneBaby View Post
I'm not really sure what to say... Overkill, perhaps?
And the price... Ouch. :L
Definetley overkill it's PPD per day is equivelant to Two Months PPd for me adn that's assuming i leave it running 24/7 which i don't.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 09:34   #5
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Sure, it's a fancy board, but I still think for overclocking I'd grab a single CPU system and for the day in-day out, 24/7 grind it's no better than other offerings as overclocking such a 24/7-calculator would never cross my mind.

Still, love to see manufacturers try something new.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 09:48   #6
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Hmm, one of those kits plus all the necessary ancillary kit to support it or an upgraded Mac Pro...

...that's actually a tough decision.
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 09:50   #7
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Well, definititely something to get if I ever come across absurdly large sum of money.

Liek this.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 09:53   #8
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good work guys at Bit-tech... great review and a very big one too Keep up the good work.
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:35   #9
unclean
SMP obsessive

unclean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not sure why the hate on the NCCH-DL. Personally have had much better results with it than the PC-DL. (Dual 1.6GHz LV Xeons @ 3.3GHz stable)
i7 920 @ 4GHz 6GB Tracer 4870X2 || Dual Xeon X5340 @ 3GHz 12GB FBDIMM 4TB RAID5 w/27" Dell 2707WFP || Dual 1.6GHz LV Xeons @ 3.2GHz || Dual Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2350MHz || Dual Athlon MP2400+ || Dual Celeron 366 @ 550MHz
unclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:43   #10
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
This is one of those things where "if you have to ask why, it's not for you" :P
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:54   #11
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
This review made me slightly aroused.
Zinfandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:59   #12
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This review left me slightly limp.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:15   #13
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
How come the picture of BT's sample has the exact same configuration as Scan's? Same CPUs, same coolers, same fans, same overclock...

Anyway, great to see EVGA push the boundaries but I don't think anybody using it for non-business stuff really needs anything like this.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:24   #14
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
How come the picture of BT's sample has the exact same configuration as Scan's? Same CPUs, same coolers, same fans, same overclock...
I presume you're referring to the image on page 15? If so, that's a photo of the Scan pre-overclocked bundle.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:45   #15
rehk
Minimodder

rehk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Utterly insane if you ran a 4x GTX460 folding@home farm using this, 11 6 pin connectors!
rehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:47   #16
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehk
Utterly insane if you ran a 4x GTX460 folding@home farm using this, 11 6 pin connectors!
Yep - it needed two power supplies and heated the lab to such an extent that everybody bar me ran away for a few hours
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:57   #17
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This setup has both me and my Pc feeling small and inadequate in every way.......
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:57   #18
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I presume you're referring to the image on page 15? If so, that's a photo of the Scan pre-overclocked bundle.
I was referring to these two pictures:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:01   #19
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
I was referring to these two pictures:
Ah, ok, I can explain:

The first picture is of the Scan bundle.

The second picture does use the same CPU coolers as the Scan bundle (they did supply us the kit after all) but if you look closely this picture also shows our G.Skill RAM installed instead of the Corsair RAM that Scan supplied with its bundle.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:11   #20
coolmiester
Coolermaster Legend

coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Just wondering why Scan are showing the 3XS SLIK SR-2 H20 Xeon Bundle as "In Stock" but are still currently showing the EVGA Classified Super Record 2 (SR-2) as "Pre Order Item Item currently awaiting an ETA." ??
coolmiester is offline   Reply With Quote